Illinois apparently to allow non-resident CCW licenses

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Illinois apparently to allow non-resident CCW licenses

Post by ELB »

No change in law, change in rules promulgated by the Illinois State Police.

Non-residents will be able to apply for a license, if rules adopted. BUT.... ;-)

RTWT: ILLINOIS: Proposed rule changes to Illinois’ CCW law
USAF 1982-2005

Jumping Frog

Re: Illinois apparently to allow non-resident CCW licenses

Post by Jumping Frog »

I could have sworn the original law already had provisions for a non-resident license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

This is a BIG change. Previously, IL only recognized about 5 states as "substantially similar" to the IL laws. Most of the differences hinged on the mental health reporting issue, which Texas does not do, so Texas was not one of the approved states.

This now means that just about every nonresident can get an IL CCW if they submit the required mental health paperwork.

You have to consider that IL is in the infancy of CCW, and has no track record of the law-adiding-ness of CCW holders, so there are many obstacles to overcome to be where TX and other CCW states are (not to mention that open carry will probably never see the light of day in IL). I have been on the Illinois Carry forum for some time, and they are a great bunch of folks just trying to exercise their rights despite a legacy of ignorance.

I have a personal interest in this, as my daughter lives in IL and I visit regularly. Under current law, I can carry concealed in my car with a TX CHL, but I cannot apply for a non-resident IL license. I am looking forward to these changes.

Now if they would just find the FOID unconstitutional.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Jumping Frog wrote:I could have sworn the original law already had provisions for a non-resident license.
oohrah wrote:This is a BIG change. Previously, IL only recognized about 5 states as "substantially similar" to the IL laws.
Oh, I see. The original law did have a provision for non-resident licenses, but it was limited to very few states. Thanks for the explanation.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

They currently allow a non-resident with a CHL to carry in their car, but not outside of it unless unloaded and boxed
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

oohrah wrote:This is a BIG change. Previously, IL only recognized about 5 states as "substantially similar" to the IL laws. Most of the differences hinged on the mental health reporting issue, which Texas does not do, so Texas was not one of the approved states.

This now means that just about every nonresident can get an IL CCW if they submit the required mental health paperwork.

You have to consider that IL is in the infancy of CCW, and has no track record of the law-adiding-ness of CCW holders, so there are many obstacles to overcome to be where TX and other CCW states are (not to mention that open carry will probably never see the light of day in IL). I have been on the Illinois Carry forum for some time, and they are a great bunch of folks just trying to exercise their rights despite a legacy of ignorance.

I have a personal interest in this, as my daughter lives in IL and I visit regularly. Under current law, I can carry concealed in my car with a TX CHL, but I cannot apply for a non-resident IL license. I am looking forward to these changes.

Now if they would just find the FOID unconstitutional.
I didn't realize you an carry in your car in IL with a TX CHL. I was there a few weeks ago driving thru, and I stopped and locked it up while driving through. I looked briefly and didn't see a reference establishing this was allowed, but it would be very helpful if it was.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Here is a breakdown of the Illinois Concealed Carry Law by Senator Barickman http://senatorbarickman.com/Portals/9/S ... 0Guide.pdf
The no reciprocity info and allowed carry methods by a non-resident CHL holder is on page 7
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Keith B wrote:Here is a breakdown of the Illinois Concealed Carry Law by Senator Barickman http://senatorbarickman.com/Portals/9/S ... 0Guide.pdf
The no reciprocity info and allowed carry methods by a non-resident CHL holder is on page 7
So, this means you can carry in a car loaded, concealed in IL with a license from another state or carry unloaded and unlocked? Pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ralewis wrote:
Keith B wrote:Here is a breakdown of the Illinois Concealed Carry Law by Senator Barickman http://senatorbarickman.com/Portals/9/S ... 0Guide.pdf
So, this means you can carry in a car loaded, concealed in IL with a license from another state or carry unloaded and unlocked? Pleasantly surprised if that's the case.
That's what the law says.
Keith

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:I could have sworn the original law already had provisions for a non-resident license.
oohrah wrote:This is a BIG change. Previously, IL only recognized about 5 states as "substantially similar" to the IL laws.
Oh, I see. The original law did have a provision for non-resident licenses, but it was limited to very few states. Thanks for the explanation.
Since it is the regs and not the law that changed, I am assuming the ISP originally implemented regulations that only recognized states that had mental health checks as part of their issuing process. It appears the change is that now they will accept a letter from a MH professional if a MH check was not part of the applicant's CHL process.
USAF 1982-2005

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

ralewis wrote:
Yep, I drove through Chicago itself with a loaded concealed handgun at my side.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

Interesting. I travel through Illinois once or twice a year to visit relatives in Michigan. I always have unloaded my weapon, locked it in a case with the ammo in a different piece of luggage and put it with my luggage in the back of my van. It looks like I don't have to do that anymore. That's really good news!

TEX

Post by TEX »

Before any of you get all excited, you should read all of the law and where CHLs are restricted. Their new law is darn near worthless in my opinion.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TEX wrote:Before any of you get all excited, you should read all of the law and where CHLs are restricted. Their new law is darn near worthless in my opinion.
Doesn't matter for non-resident other state licenses anyway as you can't remove it from your vehicle. However, as you state, even getting an Illinois license you would have a lot of prohibited locations.
Keith

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Keith B wrote:
ralewis wrote:
That's what the law says.
I wonder if that applies if traveling on a motorcycle??

Return to “Other States”