Carrying ammo in New York state

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
zipmac22
Posts in topic: 2

Carrying ammo in New York state

Post by zipmac22 »

Hi, I've tried searcing but can't seem to find if there is any law in New York (upstate) against carrying ammo in your car. There wouldn't be a handgun, just the ammo, more than likely in ten round magazines. If there is a law does the ammo need to be stored in a locked box in the trunk? Thanks!

SeanTyre
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying ammo in New York state

Post by SeanTyre »

According to the states law, you can keep ammo in a car but in locked boxes in the trunk. But In case you got pulled over by the police and they found out loaded mag, you may get arrested because loaded mags are considered as a weapon. Apart from that you can keep only 10 rounds of ammo with you just to avoid ammunition trafficking. There are many laws, you must read about Ammunition Regulation Policy.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SeanTyre wrote:According to the states law, you can keep ammo in a car but in locked boxes in the trunk. But In case you got pulled over by the police and they found out loaded mag, you may get arrested because loaded mags are considered as a weapon. Apart from that you can keep only 10 rounds of ammo with you just to avoid ammunition trafficking. There are many laws, you must read about Ammunition Regulation Policy.
The police in NY have been instructed by the courts to NOT enforce the 7 round limit written into the "Safe Act" law, but this is the state that keeps reelecting Charles Schumer, so.......... maybe better not to rely on that.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Out of curiosity, why carry mags if you don't have the weapons?

Topic author
zipmac22
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zipmac22 »

Taypo, I was looking into dropping off my handguns off at a gun shop for a "deep cleaning" while I was in New York, since the weapons need to be empty I have to do something with the mags while the guns are getting cleaned.

Return to “Other States”