Can't bring ammo into California

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Can't bring ammo into California

Post by SQLGeek »

Yes but they haven't decided yet if components will be regulated or not.
Psalm 91:2

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

That's okay with me. I've been to Kalifornia twice, did what
I wanted to do, saw what I wanted to see and I ain't goin' back. YMMV?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Liberty »

California isn't alone in this. New Jersey just outrights outlaws hollowpoints. In Massachusetts possession of a single brass case can get you 2 years in the pokey.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote:California isn't alone in this. New Jersey just outrights outlaws hollowpoints. In Massachusetts possession of a single brass case can get you 2 years in the pokey.
Two more places that I've been to and don't expect to ever return.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:California isn't alone in this. New Jersey just outrights outlaws hollowpoints. In Massachusetts possession of a single brass case can get you 2 years in the pokey.
Ammunition is completely banned in MA? Or only brass cases. ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Many on the fb groups are recommending drive to next state buy and come back. I do not see amu border crossing center between CA and next states
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote:
Ammunition is completely banned in MA? Or only brass cases. ;-)
Not completely banned if you get the right government permit. Primers, bullets, and brass components are considered ammunition as well as the completed cartridge. Being unlicensed and in possession of an empty mag is also a criminal offense.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

SQLGeek wrote:As you might know, California does have inspection stations at the border for agriculture and other things. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they start asking about ammo too.
I was stationed in California twice, each time for five years. We traveled back and forth many times. We would stop at the checkpoints, they'd ask if we had any fruits or vegetables, and we'd truthfully say no. However, what stops someone from lying? Same goes for ammo. They cannot search every car, now can they?

EDITED TO ADD:

I went back and read what I had written and want to clarify one thing. I am NOT advocating breaking any laws. I am pointing out the uselessness of that law, how easily it will undoubtedly be broken, and how it will do nothing to stop ammunition from getting into California. Like the overwhelming majority of gun control laws, it only penalizes the law abiding.
Last edited by K.Mooneyham on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How does this law affect the residents of other states who travel into California with a firearm? Can they bring their usual carry ammo with them for “personal use”?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:How does this law affect the residents of other states who travel into California with a firearm? Can they bring their usual carry ammo with them for “personal use”?
Beat me to it - I was just about to ask the same question.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LDB415 »

Makes you wonder what a good "cleansing" would do for those states.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Excaliber wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:How does this law affect the residents of other states who travel into California with a firearm? Can they bring their usual carry ammo with them for “personal use”?
Beat me to it - I was just about to ask the same question.
I don't know but things like me this is why we desperately need the reciprocity bill passed soon.
Liberty''s Blog

striker55

Post by striker55 »

On the bright side they can now smoke recreational marijuana.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

striker55 wrote:On the bright side they can now smoke recreational marijuana.
With their buddies at CNN: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/ni ... -bong-rips
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SQLGeek »

LDB415 wrote:Makes you wonder what a good "cleansing" would do for those states.
Well let's just say it'd resemble preparation for a colonoscopy and would have to start in Sacramento. :shock:

I love Texas. It's home and both of my kids are native born. I still hate seeing what the state I was born and raised in has become.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Other States”