Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

Topic author
LDP
Posts in topic: 3

PA gun transfer laws?

Post by LDP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Howdy,
if this belongs to another subforum, please move it, mods.

I have a question about PA laws.
As a TX CHL holder, I would like to purchase a used handgun from a fellow PA CHL holder, in the state of PA, in person.
The seller mentioned that as the buyer I'd be responsible for the transfer fees.

So my questions:
- does the state of PA have firearm registration?
- do I need to register the handgun there if I am taking it home?
- or do I need to transfer the ownership if I am not a PA resident? (merely a visitor)

I am spoiled by TX laws where I make a deal, sign a bill of sale, hand over cash, shake hands and ho home with a new toy. That's how it should be! :smash:

Thanks in advance for any useful answers
L

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PA gun transfer laws?

Post by srothstein » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm

You will need to get it shipped to an ATF licensed dealer in Texas. It is a violation of federal law for a resident of one state to purchase and take possession of any handgun in another state.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm
You will need to get it shipped to an ATF licensed dealer in Texas. It is a violation of federal law for a resident of one state to purchase and take possession of any handgun in another state.
Interesting, that is something I had no idea about. Happily ignorant.
Thank you, sir.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm

LDP wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm
srothstein wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm
Interesting, that is something I had no idea about. Happily ignorant.
Thank you, sir.
Person to person private sale within a state, well, most states, no FFL needs to be involved and no 4473 form completed nor an NICS background check. However, as Steve mentioned, once you purchase from another state you gotta jump through a couple hoops.

I hope you haven't unknowingly violated this in the past. :leaving
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Person to person private sale within a state, well, most states, no FFL needs to be involved and no 4473 form completed nor an NICS background check. However, as Steve mentioned, once you purchase from another state you gotta jump through a couple hoops.
I assume no more special hoops than what you do with a purchase via shipping. Just an FFL transfer my the local dealer of choosing.
C-dub wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm
I hope you haven't unknowingly violated this in the past. :leaving
Negative. Although it seems like a very easy thing to do. Never thought there were federal laws harsher than state laws. Though I guess I did have a little nagging voice in my head which prompted me to ask here.

I was hoping to talk to the seller, look the gun over, inspect carefully, take it to the range with him to see how well it performs (whether there are no malfunctions and accuracy is as expected) and take it home. I guess I can still do it but the last step. He'll have to ship it (included anyway). It's a hard-to-find piece, worth the trouble for sure.

Thanks again for the good information.
L

Return to “Other States”