NM: Walmart to stop selling guns in New Mexico

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NM: Walmart to stop selling guns in New Mexico

Post by imkopaka »

Keith B wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 pm Here is a little more clarification. Apparently the new law will require stores that do firearms background checks to do them for private party sales between two individuals. So, Walmart doesn't want folks walking in with guns and doing the transfer in their store.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... on-july-22

Gonna have to dig into the law and see if NM made that a requirement of an FFL.
Ah - that makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

I'd be curious to know if NM can legally force an FFL to perform that service. That extends the requirement far beyond the requirements under federal law as the state has no control over the regulation of an FFL. IMHO but, IANAL
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

rotor

Post by rotor »

I wonder how New Mexico will enforce this law. Also, I am told that the margin on retail gun sales is low so perhaps FFL fees might be a blessing for the FFL holder. For those that are FFL holders, do you think this would be good for business?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think I can actually see the logic in trying to require FFL's to do the checks. I'm guessing that one objection to mandatory background checks for private sales is the difficulty (and potential cost) of having the checks done. So the requirement, and max cost, were probably added to the legislation to address that concern.

Of course I still can't see the logic in forcing FFL's to perform this service, especially since they aren't licensed by the state.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:32 pm I think I can actually see the logic in trying to require FFL's to do the checks. I'm guessing that one objection to mandatory background checks for private sales is the difficulty (and potential cost) of having the checks done. So the requirement, and max cost, were probably added to the legislation to address that concern.

Of course I still can't see the logic in forcing FFL's to perform this service, especially since they aren't licensed by the state.
I am wondering how they can legally force an FFL to perform this service. My guess is that the firearm stores will be where the majority of transfers end up. Then again if it pays 35 dollars a pop to do them, there may be FFL's who see the benefit financially.

sparkyfender

Post by sparkyfender »

Sounds like the onus is on the New Mexico legislators in this case instead of Wal Mart.

Return to “Other States”