Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

NM: Walmart to stop selling guns in New Mexico

Post by Keith B »

https://www.kfvs12.com/2019/07/03/walma ... ew-mexico/
(KOAT/CNN) – Walmart will soon stop selling guns in New Mexico after the state recently passed two new gun laws.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NM: Walmart to stop selling guns in New Mexico

Post by imkopaka »

I'm confused. Did Wal-Mart not already have to perform background checks on gun buyers? Or is it talking about something more in-depth than the standard NICS check? Also, why would they suddenly see "individuals walking through the store potentially carrying multiple firearms" after this new law (that doesn't affect them anyway) when they've already sold guns there? The reasoning behind this move makes no sense to me.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

One of them would require any person buying a gun to go through a background check whether they purchase their weapon from a gun store, neighbor or friend.

Walmart representative Tiffany Wilson said store associates aren’t trained for these situations.
Sounds like Walmart is using this as a lame excuse. It would be easy for them to say they will not do back ground checks for people selling to each other. Maybe Walmarts true colors are showing or they simply aren't making enough money off of guns to mess with it.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Good. Maybe they'll double down and stop selling ammo too. Just another reason to avoid the increasingly progressive WalMart.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Walmart has never been a friend to the second amendment. I stopped buying any sporting goods from them back when they decided to stop selling handguns. Then they banned black guns too but Dick's caught the news and our attention because of their management's stupider comments.

I am guessing that the new laws require licensed dealers to process background checks for individual sales. That is the only way those checks can be done and it is the only thing that explains the comment about people carrying multiple guns. Walmart is also not too interested in customer service, so I can see why they don't want to do this. Support people trying to obey stupid laws? Not them.
Steve Rothstein

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Years ago i bought a gun there and they said their policy says i had to draw a Map yes a "Map" to my address, i ended up drawing it to the police department. I think they wanted to know where to rob?? I stopped shopping at Walmart and at any location that won't allow Ltc. Does anyone remember when HEB sold guns?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

WalMart has been fairly worthless at gun sells for a long time. The counter people are fairly inept if you are lucky enough to find one. They have not carried ARs for a while.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Too bad. I bought my first AR from them. WalMart used to be the largest seller of firearms. I don't think that is still true.

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

rotor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 pm Too bad. I bought my first AR from them. WalMart used to be the largest seller of firearms. I don't think that is still true.
Bigger than Sears mail order guns back in the day?
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Here is a little more clarification. Apparently the new law will require stores that do firearms background checks to do them for private party sales between two individuals. So, Walmart doesn't want folks walking in with guns and doing the transfer in their store.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... on-july-22

Gonna have to dig into the law and see if NM made that a requirement of an FFL.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Well, found it, and it requires an FFL to do the check:
(2) a prospective firearm seller who does
not hold a current and valid federal firearms license issued
pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 923(a) shall arrange for a
person who does hold that license to conduct the federal
instant background check. A federal firearms licensee shall
not unreasonably refuse to perform a background check
pursuant to this paragraph
; and
Here's the full bill text: https://legiscan.com/NM/text/SB8/id/1953393
Keith

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It seems a bit of a stretch to REQUIRE an FFL do a background check for anyone who asks.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:14 pm It seems a bit of a stretch to REQUIRE an FFL do a background check for anyone who asks.
Your right, but is there a limit on what they could charge. Seams like Walmart is all about money so charge double or triple what other dealers charge. I'm sure it's a liability reason, not wanting people bringing in guns and having some idiot leaving a round in the chamber. I'm sure it happens more then dealer's wish it did.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

apostate

Post by apostate »

narcissist wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:48 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:14 pm It seems a bit of a stretch to REQUIRE an FFL do a background check for anyone who asks.
Your right, but is there a limit on what they could charge.
$35

I think it's a reach to impose a duty on FFLs, obligating them to perform background checks for private party sales. In particular, I question the authority of state lawmakers to impose such an obligation on a federal licensee.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ah, the joys of "universal background checks". Can anyone tell me how many gang members have done background checks before selling a stolen gun to another gang member?

Return to “Other States”