California Questions

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

California Questions

Post by ScottDLS »

Anyone out there know what the rules are for possessing a handgun in one's hotel room or temporary quarters in California? I'm working in the San Francisco Bay area on business. I usually stay in Burlingame or Millbrae and work in Palo Alto. I'm not wanting to carry, but I may want to go shooting with some business colleagues in the area. I would like to bring my own guns. Can I possess a handgun in my hotel room and transport it unloaded in my rental car trunk? 10 rd mags only. What about ammo? With the new ammo background check here, I don't think I can buy any. Can someone give me some to shoot while I'm here? Can use some that "I bought in California and stored" before the background check went into effect 7/1/2019? :shock: Maybe I'll sign up for Calguns and post over there. In the meantime, anyone know?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

On_Code

Re: California Questions

Post by On_Code »

Yes you may.

The Annoyed Man

Re: California Questions

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
HANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Retired CA LEO friend of mine says that the loaded magazine(s) can be in the same locked case as the handgun, but not inserted into the gun. Chamber must be empty.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Other States”