Guns & Ammo's annual ranking of gun-friendly states

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Guns & Ammo's annual ranking of gun-friendly states

Post by Paladin »

Guns & Ammo's annual ranking of gun-friendly states.
Top 5 - Best Gun-Friendly States
1. Arizona
2. Idaho
3. Alaska
4. Kansas
5. Oklahoma

Bottom 5 - Worst Gun-Friendly States
47. California
48. Hawaii
49. New Jersey
50. Massachusetts
51. New York
New York is so bad it made 51 out of 50 states! :biggrinjester:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TxRVer

Re: Guns & Ammo's annual ranking of gun-friendly states

Post by TxRVer »

Paladin wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:30 am

New York is so bad it made 51 out of 50 states! :biggrinjester:
:lol:: I had to go through the list twice to find how that happened. Then I saw that D.C. was included.
Charlie

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

10. Texas

Governor Greg Abbott probably set a record in 2019 when he signed 10 separate pro-­gun bills into law. One of the bills allows school employees to keep guns locked in their cars on campus parking lots. Texas is, as many would suspect, a pro-­gun state across the board. It gets high marks for a strong CCW law that include Open Carry and strong Use ­of ­Force laws, and its lack of restrictions on Black Rifles, magazines or NFA items. Some of the most impressive range facilities in the nation reside in Texas’ wide-open spaces. (2018 rank: 9)

9. Montana

The same governor that vetoed the Permitless Carry bill in 2017, vetoed a firearm preemption bill this year. The former Attorney General has not exactly been a friend to gun owners in this otherwise extremely gun-­friendly state. Montana gets eight points for its Shall Issue permit system, and ten points in every other category. The state is a hunting mecca and has a thriving gun industry presence. (2018 rank: 8)
So, after reading these two rankings, how does Montana rank ahead of Texas? (....and why isn’t Texas #1 or #2? :totap: )
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I wish people would stop considering DC equivalent to a state. It is a city! I think they should give the current city BACK to Maryland like they did with the portion of DC that was on the south side of the Potomac when they gave that back to Virginia. Then STOP the statehood for DC push!
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:35 am
10. Texas

Governor Greg Abbott probably set a record in 2019 when he signed 10 separate pro-­gun bills into law. One of the bills allows school employees to keep guns locked in their cars on campus parking lots. Texas is, as many would suspect, a pro-­gun state across the board. It gets high marks for a strong CCW law that include Open Carry and strong Use ­of ­Force laws, and its lack of restrictions on Black Rifles, magazines or NFA items. Some of the most impressive range facilities in the nation reside in Texas’ wide-open spaces. (2018 rank: 9)

9. Montana

The same governor that vetoed the Permitless Carry bill in 2017, vetoed a firearm preemption bill this year. The former Attorney General has not exactly been a friend to gun owners in this otherwise extremely gun-­friendly state. Montana gets eight points for its Shall Issue permit system, and ten points in every other category. The state is a hunting mecca and has a thriving gun industry presence. (2018 rank: 8)
So, after reading these two rankings, how does Montana rank ahead of Texas? (....and why isn’t Texas #1 or #2? :totap: )
I know on many of them constitutional carry weighs heavily in the ranking. Another we get dinged on is we have legally enforceable no gun signs. I don't know how this one was done, but I've seen those two things mentioned in other rankings.
NRA Benefactor Member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 am I wish people would stop considering DC equivalent to a state. It is a city! I think they should give the current city BACK to Maryland like they did with the portion of DC that was on the south side of the Potomac when they gave that back to Virginia. Then STOP the statehood for DC push!
Mordor on the Potomac...who wants it?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am
10. Texas

9. Montana

I know on many of them constitutional carry weighs heavily in the ranking. Another we get dinged on is we have legally enforceable no gun signs. I don't know how this one was done, but I've seen those two things mentioned in other rankings.
I think both of these are pretty big factors. They are definitely infringements, putting aside my personal beliefs on each.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am
10. Texas

9. Montana

When I look it up for traveling, I do not remember any state that does not have enforceable no gun signs.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

States with no gun signs have force of law.
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Illinois
Mississippi
Minnesota
Kansas
Kentucky
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah*
Virginia*
Wisconsin

* Utah and Virginia designate certain types of locations where the property owner or manager can prohibit the possession of weapons upon the premises. Additionally, some states designate certain types of private businesses to be gun-free zones, such as bars, day cares and - in states where it's legal - marijuana dispensaries
https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/no-g ... wed-signs/
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:59 pm States with no gun signs have force of law.
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Illinois
Mississippi
Minnesota
Kansas
Kentucky
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah*
Virginia*
Wisconsin

* Utah and Virginia designate certain types of locations where the property owner or manager can prohibit the possession of weapons upon the premises. Additionally, some states designate certain types of private businesses to be gun-free zones, such as bars, day cares and - in states where it's legal - marijuana dispensaries
https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/no-g ... wed-signs/
So that makes Texas one of 19 states which allow folks to be arrested for trespass without first being asked to leave. The good news is that there are 31 other states where you don't have to stress unless someone asks you to leave first. Of course in some of those states, carrying at all is very difficult.

The Annoyed Man

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 am I wish people would stop considering DC equivalent to a state. It is a city! I think they should give the current city BACK to Maryland like they did with the portion of DC that was on the south side of the Potomac when they gave that back to Virginia. Then STOP the statehood for DC push!
At this point, I don’t think anybody wants it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 pm
Making DC a state would mean more communist congresspipple and senators. We have enough already.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:24 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 pm
Making DC a state would mean more communist congresspipple and senators. We have enough already.
I quite agree. I’m for divvying DC up between Maryland and Virginia, and moving the federal Capitol to a point just NW of highways 36 & 281, outside of Lebanon, Kansas (the geographical dead center of the Lower 48 states), while dispersing all of the federal departments around the country to other states. If Kansas City Missouri can be located in right across the river from Kansas City Kansas; and if Saint Louis Missouri can be located right across the river from East Saint Louis Illinois; Then there’s no reason at all that the DC charter can’t be divided up between Maryland and Virginia.

I’m saying nobody wants it, because:

1. As soon as the seat of federal gov’t left for Lebanon, Kansas, all the wealthy people who work in DC but live in the surrounding wealthy suburbs would decamp from those enclaves and move to whoever the source of their wealth gets relocated to, stripping those Maryland and Virginia towns of their tax base; and

2. Maryland and Virginia will then have to absorb that part of the population which is too poor to move, along with the social safety-net obligations and murder rate that come with them. Like I said, nobody in Maryland or Virginia would go along with it.

#TINVOWOOT

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

They want statehood that would entitle them to at least 1 representative in the House, but 2 more democommies in the senate. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I agree, but it's funny this time because it places NY 51st out of 50 states. That is all.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Other States”