MD: Red Flag warrant leads to police shooting?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

MD: Red Flag warrant leads to police shooting?

Post by chasfm11 »

This is the better of two articles that I've seen on this situation
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/law ... g-69587748

First, it is the People's Republic of Maryland so the information provided by authorities, especially if it isn't complimentary, is going to be limited.

Here is my reading of the situation.
- police obtained what appears to be red flag warrant. it is possible that it was the result of online activity. There was no reason given for what was called a "high risk" situation
- one of the points made by police was that the man being raided at 4:30am was not allowed to legally possess firearms but there was no reason given. Another article said that he had no criminal record and therefore was not a felon-in-possession No one in the house had a criminal record.

It is likely that we will never get the facts in this case without outside intervention. This will be like the Las Vegas Costco shooting - my prediction.
- -
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jb2012

Re: MD: Red Flag warrant leads to police shooting?

Post by jb2012 »

Shot in his sleep, from outside his home, wounding his pregnant girlfriend in the process. Red Flag Laws are tyrranical, no knock warrants are unsafe for everyone involved. I’m sure the Maryland le agency in charge will find themselves free from any wrongdoing.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:35 am Shot in his sleep, from outside his home, wounding his pregnant girlfriend in the process. Red Flag Laws are tyrranical, no knock warrants are unsafe for everyone involved. I’m sure the Maryland le agency in charge will find themselves free from any wrongdoing.
I’d love to see this get into a courtroom to find out if the immunity policy would hold up.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm
jb2012 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:35 am Shot in his sleep, from outside his home, wounding his pregnant girlfriend in the process. Red Flag Laws are tyrranical, no knock warrants are unsafe for everyone involved. I’m sure the Maryland le agency in charge will find themselves free from any wrongdoing.
I’d love to see this get into a courtroom to find out if the immunity policy would hold up.
As dirty as this appears to be, who knows if it will ever see a court room. I never thought the houston police involved in the “wrong house raid” would be held accountable, but I was wrong. Obviously less their untouchable police chief.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:14 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm
As dirty as this appears to be, who knows if it will ever see a court room. I never thought the houston police involved in the “wrong house raid” would be held accountable, but I was wrong. Obviously less their untouchable police chief.
That dude reminds me of the head bad guy character from Matt Bracken's "Enemies" trilogy who appears in all three books. Can’t think of the character's name right now, but he heads up a rogue department of ATF at the beginning, and ends up as the director of the treasonous gov’t's counterinsurgency at the end. As I recall, he has a date with the Black Plague at the end. In any case, Acevedo is exactly that kind of tool.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm guessing the guy you are thinking of is Wally Malvone but I just now downloaded that book after reading about your discussion of it. I liked the Kurt Schlicter "People's Republic" and hope this is enjoyable, too.

Situations like this shooting really worry me. The politicians can sit on the sidelines and pick up those that they don't like one at a time. Maybe this guy really was a potentially bad actor but it sure doesn't appear that way at first blush.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Just for technical accuracy, I do not believe this is a red flag warrant. The original articles and some of the followup articles say that the police were responding to a complaint from the public that Lemp was prohibited from owning firearms but had some in his possession. If that is the truth, this was a straight up criminal investigation and search warrant, not a rad flag type warrant.

The articles say no one in the home at the time had a criminal record, but that is not the only possible reason someone could be prohibited from owning weapons. The two most likely other than that would be mental illness (which ties into the red flag laws but may not if it was a regular criminal complaint) and drug or alcohol use/dependency.

Somehow though, I tend to believe the police really messed up here and made false claims that will really bite them. Their claim that he confronted them when they entered the house doesn't jive with the girlfriend also being wounded while she was in the bed.

But I have to admit that the news articles are very anti-police (well reporting the other side more than giving the police side), which makes sense if the police really are not being forthcoming about the incident. The reporters are almost as good at recognizing a lie told to the m as cops on patrol get.
Steve Rothstein

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

Being shot in your bed while your asleep by police serving a warrant, and then lying about the circumstances sounds like about as bad as you can get.

At least the poor Houston couple were awake.

Return to “Other States”