Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Driving to Michigan - have 1 main question

Post by Teamless »

In a couple weeks, I will be driving to Michigan with my wife
Of course, to preface, I have a valid - resident - Texas LTC.

I’ll be driving through
Arkansas
Missouri
Illinois (I know!)
Indiana
And into Michigan

My main question (ok - 2 of them)
1- any “high capacity” magazine issues I need to worry about?
2- while driving through Illinois, what is the best way to store my weapon so should we get pulled over for any reason- I don’t end up in any legal issues

Originally I had planned to not take it with me, but so with all of the protests, I don’t want to needing it and not having it

Thank you
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

eieio1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Driving to Michigan - have 1 main question

Post by eieio1 »

Are you a member of Law Shield (Texas or U.S.)? They could answer these questions.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO
NRA Instructor - Rifle and Shotgun

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

If you absolutely must drive to Michigan then skip Illinois. Cut across Tennessee at Memphis and then north once you can avoid Illinois. Nothing good can come from you getting stopped in Illinois with your firearm. Yeah, you can figure out the legal method to transport it through Illinois, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get arrested anyway.
I lived in Illinois for 20 years before moving back to Texas, when I go to visit family in St. Louis I will not cross the river into Illinois to see friends carrying my pistol.

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I have went to Academy and bought several of the hornaday safes and I I understand put a semiauto in one and a magazine and ammo in the other I do not know for sure but I would keep it to 10 rounds. Cable in the Trunk or behind the rear seat. the small safe will hold a BR HP 9mm. I carry a Ruger LCP so its not a problem. Same for revolvers. Last one I bought were $9.99 and all they are is feel good .But if that is what it takes to make them feel good so be it. I like [Pre-paid legal service] but the other are good too. When i travel I carry a AAA card and a [Pre-paid legal service] with some add on options.I would look into it with a expert before I go.Un loaded and in the trunk is Federal. hopefully you will not need any help.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've been to IL many times to visit family and took my sidearm most of those visits. Locked and stowed away out of reach the best I could based on the vehicle we were in at the time. I stayed at or below the speed limit within 1 mph. Never stopped. I was never a very reckless driver or rider and became even less so after becoming a dad and then again lesser still after getting my CHL. As a driver/rider about the only time I stand out now is because I'm not going as fast as everyone else or stopping at all the stop signs. I figure if I don't give someone a reason to stop me they won't get the opportunity to find anything that's none of their business anyway.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Personally, I would go out of my way to avoid IL. For those occasions when one cannot carry a handgun, it is even more important to have another tool such as pepper spray. https://get-pom.com/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

No need to avoid IL since you have a Texas LTC. IL law allows anyone with a valid state CCL to conceal carry in your vehicle, you do not have to unload or lock in a safe, etc. You can't carry outside your vehicle. You can also "transport" your weapon in a case, say to carry into your hotel room (regarded as your residence, so legal to possess) or to carry from the car to the trunk.

This is not legal advice of course, but I also have an IL CCL (IL recognizes TX and three other states), so I am familiar with IL laws. This should give you enough to do your own research. One good resource is IllinoisCarry.com.

I would just recommend keep your weapon in your car concealed, perhaps locked in a safe when not occupied. Except for Chicago, most of IL, including LEOs are supportive of licensed carry. Although I've conceal carried in Chicago, I recommend avoiding it if you can. But you shouldn't' have a problem.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

What @oohrah said ^^^^

Here is the guidance:
Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/40(e), nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
1. is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
2. is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
3. is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle.
EXCEPTION:
A non-resident who satisfies the above conditions may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the trunk of the vehicle.
This is from: Chicago PD: http://directives.chicagopolice.org/dir ... 1f83d.html
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Hopefully this rioting will settle down within a couple weeks. If it doesn't it will likely be much worse than it is now and I would reconsider traveling through areas that will be hot beds of violence.

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

Thanks to all for the responses
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

oohrah wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 am No need to avoid IL since you have a Texas LTC. IL law allows anyone with a valid state CCL to conceal carry in your vehicle, you do not have to unload or lock in a safe, etc. You can't carry outside your vehicle. You can also "transport" your weapon in a case, say to carry into your hotel room (regarded as your residence, so legal to possess) or to carry from the car to the trunk.

This is not legal advice of course, but I also have an IL CCL (IL recognizes TX and three other states), so I am familiar with IL laws. This should give you enough to do your own research. One good resource is IllinoisCarry.com.

I would just recommend keep your weapon in your car concealed, perhaps locked in a safe when not occupied. Except for Chicago, most of IL, including LEOs are supportive of licensed carry. Although I've conceal carried in Chicago, I recommend avoiding it if you can. But you shouldn't' have a problem.
This :iagree:

I made the same trip (except went through OK and MO) thru to Indiana and then MI. I did not speed and did not stop while going from St Louis to Indiana border. We fueled up and took the dogs for a break just outside of St Louis so we would not have to stop in IL.

I also checked one of the IL gun forums and there are gun sanctuary counties in the more southern parts of IL, so wasn't too worried about county cops, but the state police I wasn't too sure about.
NRA Life Member

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I use this app to great effect when traveling and planning trips:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... w&hl=en_US

Regularly updated on the most relevant laws for each state, reciprocity lists, etc.

Apparently they have a free 2 year subscription then charge $1 a year for updates now, which I wasn't aware of until just this moment, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay it.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “Other States”