Big win in CA - "High capacity mags" case (Duncan et al)

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Big win in CA - "High capacity mags" case (Duncan et al)

Post by Jusme »

I know that Commifornia will appeal this, but if this holds, as is, several other states, will be affected. It will also affect anyone charged, criminally, under a magazine capacity law. I’m beginning to think the Nonth Circuit is getting tired of having their decisions overturned.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Was this ruling a three judge panel with one dissent or was this en banc?
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

It reads to my layman’s eyes to be a panel of three.

DUNCAN V. BECERRA
Before: Consuelo M. Callahan and Kenneth K. Lee,
Circuit Judges, and Barbara M. G. Lynn,* District Judge. Opinion by Judge Lee;
Dissent by Judge Lynn
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am I know that Commifornia will appeal this, but if this holds, as is, several other states, will be affected. It will also affect anyone charged, criminally, under a magazine capacity law. I’m beginning to think the Nonth Circuit is getting tired of having their decisions overturned.
I don't know if any other states in the 9th circuit other than California have mag capacity laws. Maybe Oregon or Washington?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

strogg

Post by strogg »

So uh, I'm not a lawyer here. The old penal code essentially states that acquisition of LCMs is against the law, but possession of LCMs is perfectly legal. The new one, which is the one being challenged in the lawsuit, says that even possession is illegal. That has now been overturned in the opinion. Does this mean that the old penal code is still in effect? Or is that now completely wiped to the point that acquisition of said magazines are now perfectly legal?

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:14 pm Was this ruling a three judge panel with one dissent or was this en banc?

It appears to be a panel. I'm not holding my breath for a favorable en banc review. That's usually where these cases lose.
Psalm 91:2

Texgun

Post by Texgun »

Is Hawaii part of the 9th circuit jurisdiction? They have a magazine ban.

Hawaii prohibits “[t]he manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of use with a pistol.”Oct 28, 2019
Texgun
College Station, TX

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Attorney Andrew Branca analyses the decision. https://lawofselfdefense.com/duncan-v-b ... azine-ban/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Texgun wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:46 pm Is Hawaii part of the 9th circuit jurisdiction? They have a magazine ban.

Hawaii prohibits “[t]he manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of use with a pistol.”Oct 28, 2019
Yep. Looks like the only other state in the 9th circuit that may be affected, though someone may have to file separately in District Court there.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Vol Texan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:34 pm It reads to my layman’s eyes to be a panel of three.

DUNCAN V. BECERRA
Before: Consuelo M. Callahan and Kenneth K. Lee,
Circuit Judges, and Barbara M. G. Lynn,* District Judge. Opinion by Judge Lee;
Dissent by Judge Lynn
Wait a minute...Judge Lynn is from Dallas. So a Texas judge sitting in designation dissented on this 9th circuit case. She stated it was not an undue burden on the core function of home defense because Section 32310 “restricts possession of only a subset of magazines that are over a certain capacity. It does not restrict the possession of magazines in general such that it would render any lawfully possessed firearms inoperable, nor does it restrict the number of magazines that an individual may possess.”

This is our Chief District Judge in the Northern District of Texas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:52 pm
Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am I know that Commifornia will appeal this, but if this holds, as is, several other states, will be affected. It will also affect anyone charged, criminally, under a magazine capacity law. I’m beginning to think the Nonth Circuit is getting tired of having their decisions overturned.
I don't know if any other states in the 9th circuit other than California have mag capacity laws. Maybe Oregon or Washington?

Yes, but this will be appealed to an enbac. Who, if uphold this ruling, will force Commifornia, to either abandon the case, or appeal it to SCOTUS.
If they allow the ruling to stand, or refuse to hear it, then every other State can expect challenges to their laws. I'm sure States with magazine capacity laws, already have pro 2A lawyers drawing up lawsuits.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Yes, but this will be appealed to an enbac. Who, if uphold this ruling, will force Commifornia, to either abandon the case, or appeal it to SCOTUS.
If they allow the ruling to stand, or refuse to hear it, then every other State can expect challenges to their laws. I'm sure States with magazine capacity laws, already have pro 2A lawyers drawing up lawsuits.
The problem is, whenever a pro-gun ruling comes out of a 3 judge panel in the 9th Circuit, the freedom-haters appeal for an en-banc ruling from the perennially leftist majority, and the ruling is overturned. I’d be VERY surprised if this ruling is allowed to stand.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Normal capacity magazine.

Ordinary capacity magazine.

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Other States”