Support 2011 HB86 - Campus Carry

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Support 2011 HB86 - Campus Carry

Post by CJD »

I think 6 months is plenty of time for policy changes. I'll bet they could push through tuition increases in only 6 days!

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

CJD wrote:I think 6 months is plenty of time for policy changes. I'll bet they could push through tuition increases in only 6 days!
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" :iagree:
TANSTAAFL

greggtex

Post by greggtex »

I spoke with Rep. Driver's office this week. The lady there told me they were going thru with his bill. His bill means that those that have out of state CHL will not be able to carry in bldgs. on campus. I was saddened to hear this as I have a Utah CHL. I know there are those that say people get Utah to 'skirt' the laws of Texas. I will be nice here and just say, 'Don't comment about me if you don't know.' MANY in Texas are getting Utah and Fla. CHL. So, we're not just talking those with Utah licenses.
It's sad that when I go to class, I won't be able to protect myself and my classmates due to the wording in the new bill. If I'm the only CHL holder in my class and Johnnie Stupid with a gun comes in, many of us are dead, just reality. If it were worded so that reciprocity could take place, then there would be less dead in my opinion. And it's not that I'm a immature kid wanting to take a gun to class. Texas native, veteran, and in late 40's, been hunting/shooting all my life. I'm for the 2nd Amendment and believe all of us that aren't felons and meet the regulations should be able to carry. Just more control and less protection for the most part.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

greggtex wrote:I spoke with Rep. Driver's office this week. The lady there told me they were going thru with his bill. His bill means that those that have out of state CHL will not be able to carry in bldgs. on campus. I was saddened to hear this as I have a Utah CHL. I know there are those that say people get Utah to 'skirt' the laws of Texas. I will be nice here and just say, 'Don't comment about me if you don't know.' MANY in Texas are getting Utah and Fla. CHL. So, we're not just talking those with Utah licenses.
It's sad that when I go to class, I won't be able to protect myself and my classmates due to the wording in the new bill. If I'm the only CHL holder in my class and Johnnie Stupid with a gun comes in, many of us are dead, just reality. If it were worded so that reciprocity could take place, then there would be less dead in my opinion. And it's not that I'm a immature kid wanting to take a gun to class. Texas native, veteran, and in late 40's, been hunting/shooting all my life. I'm for the 2nd Amendment and believe all of us that aren't felons and meet the regulations should be able to carry. Just more control and less protection for the most part.

Just a thought, I always carry at least two guns, ... sit close, I could pass you one if a problem arises in class I think "necessity" covers it in the Penal code. ;-)

Seriously there's a retired LEO CHL in my church I carry a spare for until he loses weight.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

greggtex wrote:I spoke with Rep. Driver's office this week. The lady there told me they were going thru with his bill. His bill means that those that have out of state CHL will not be able to carry in bldgs. on campus. I was saddened to hear this as I have a Utah CHL. I know there are those that say people get Utah to 'skirt' the laws of Texas. I will be nice here and just say, 'Don't comment about me if you don't know.' MANY in Texas are getting Utah and Fla. CHL. So, we're not just talking those with Utah licenses.
This is more fallout from the problem 3 Utah Instructors created. Had Utah changed their law months ago, then we may have been able to avoid this Texas-only provision. However, without it campus-carry won't pass.

Chas.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

For every action there is an equal reaction. Those who touted the Utah CHL as a way to get around Texas CHL or a way to save money are now bearing the fruit of their insensitivity.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, is it impossible for you to get a Texas CHL? Since you're a veteran, the price is $70.00. I'll be happy to help, if that's what's holding you back.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

RPB wrote:

Just a thought, I always carry at least two guns, ... sit close, I could pass you one if a problem arises in class I think "necessity" covers it in the Penal code. ;-)

Seriously there's a retired LEO CHL in my church I carry a spare for until he loses weight.

...now there's a good friend...I do it every day for my best friend...he's got a spotless record...ex-POW and Vietnam vet...but he can't read...best man you could ever stand with...and I need the excercise...I'm kinda like YOUR friend...gotta burn off some pounds...

greggtex

Post by greggtex »

I can get a Texas CHL. I am an Honably discharged vet. and record is clear. If NOT, then I couldn't have gotten CHL from Utah. Not pointed at anyone here, but:it chaps my butt when someone focuses a statement to me about being too cheap, or trying to get around Texas laws/requirements for CHL. I have 2 licenses thru the Texas Dept. of Insurance, both which required prints and a background check. I can afford the Texas CHL, and the class. I chose not to do so because of wait, and easier to get. I am not a 2nd Amendment complainer or some radical 'rights' person by any means, but do believe anyone should be able to carry and protect themselves. As the old saying goes, it's about control, not guns.
It was quick and easy to go take the Utah class. I'm 47 and have shot since 5 or 6 yrs. old. I have been in a situation where I could have shot a guy being in my apartment, and showed restraint, so not trigger happy. (apartment maintenance spraying for pests/didn't know I was home) It was a decision that had to be made immediately, but he could have been shot. I'm thankful that it didn't go different. I do NOT want to shoot anyone!
No, I won't be able to carry in the classroom. Would any of you agree with this? Or is it because you're biased against Utah CHL holders? Many instructors are starting to teach a Fla. CHL class for some of the same reasons people are getting Utah lic. Longer lic. time and I believe less cost, but not sure. This isn't about Texas, as I am a proud native Texan, but I don't believe in costs or time when it can be done more economiclly/efficiently.

Trinitite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Trinitite »

baldeagle wrote:For every action there is an equal reaction.
Those who made the Texas CHL cost twice what other states cost are now seeing the predictable results.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”