The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Douva
Posts in topic: 18

The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook

Post by Douva »

I encourage anyone who wants to get involved with the fight to legalize concealed carry on college campuses or anyone who is interested in the facts surrounding the debate over whether or not to legalize concealed carry on college campuses to start by reading the ""SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition".

If you're interested, you can even order professionally printed and bound copies of the handbook for your state senator and state representative.

Last Friday, SCCC Director of Public Relations Katie Kasprzak and I met with Edna Butts, Senior Policy Advisor to State Senator Kirk Watson (who now has his own copy of the handbook). Miss Butts mentioned that the Brady Campaign had already sent them a packet of information on the issue of concealed carry on college campuses. If the Brady Campaign is already sending information (or perhaps I should say "misinformation") to state legislators, we need to act fast to make sure that the legislators see and hear our side of the issue before the concealed carry on campus bill that we expect to be pre-filed later this fall creates a statewide fervor. Once this issue is surrounded by the inevitable media frenzy, many legislators will find themselves cornered into voicing opinions on this bill, and if the only information they have available comes from the Brady Campaign, that is the information on which they will base their opinions.

I look forward to fighting alongside all of you for this important cause.

Sincerely,

W. Scott Lewis
Advisor / Former National Media Coordinator
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC)
http://www.ConcealedCampus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Douva on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook

Post by CompVest »

Keep up the fight. You have lots of support here.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Nachos Libres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nachos Libres »

I definitely support this. I recently went back to school for my MBA and I hate having to keep my gun locked in my car when attending class.
Springfield Armory XD-40SC

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

SCCC now offers the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition," which includes information specific to Texas.

Hard copies of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition" can be purchased HERE.
Last edited by Douva on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

Russell wrote:
If the violent crime rate among all U.S. citizens was the same as the violent crime rate among Texas concealed handgun license holders, the United States would have a lower violent crime rate than England. (Texas Department of Public Safety; U.S. Department of Justice; United Nations)

I don't know if that supports our side or not, considering now that England banned practically all firearms, the thugs have moved on to stabbing people instead.
Is England's violent crime rate really lower now after banning firearms?
The violent crime rate in England has ALWAYS been lower than the violent crime rate in the U.S. It doesn't have anything to do with gun control. In fact, the homicide rate in England has actually gone up since the passage of strict gun control. However, gun control advocates still like to point to England as a glowing example of a society with a low violent crime rate, so the fact that CHL holders commit violent crimes at a rate lower than citizens of England does support our case.

Here is some information from http://www.ProtestEasyGunsLies.com:

In the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s, the homicide rate in England was 1/10th the homicide rate in the United States. In 1987 English citizens were shocked by a mass shooting at a public market. In 1989 American citizens were shocked by a mass shooting at a fast food restaurant. England responded by implementing the strict gun control laws currently in place. Americans chose not to implement stricter gun control. By the early ‘90s, the homicide rate in England was 1/8th the homicide rate in America. Today the homicide rate in England is 1/4th the homicide rate in America. Since the implementation of England’s strict gun control laws, England’s homicide rate has gone up; whereas, America’s homicide rate has gone down.

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

These are the legislators who have received handbooks so far:

Lt. Governor David Dewhurst

Senator Kevin Elfite - District 1
Senator Bob Deuell - District 2
Senator Robert Nichols - District 3
Senator Steve Ogden - District 5
Senator Florence Shaprio - District 8
Senator Chris Harris - District 9
Senator Mike Jackson - District 11
Senator Jane Nelson - District 12
Senator Rodney Ellis - District 13
Senator Kirk Watson - District 14
Senator John Carona - District 16
Senator Joan Huffman - District 17
Senator Judith Zaffirini - District 21
Senator Troy Fraser - District 24
Senator Jeff Wentworth - District 25
Senator Leticia Van de Putte - District 26
Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. - District 27
Senator Robert Duncan - District 28

Rep. Stephen Frost - District 1
Rep. Bryan Hughes - District 5
Rep. Tommy Merritt - District 7
Rep. Wayne Christian - District 9
Rep. Lois Kolkhorst - District 13
Rep. Fred Brown - District 14
Rep. Brandon Creighton - District 16
Rep. Craig Eiland - District 23
Rep. Geanie Morrison - District 30
Rep. Eddie Lucio III - District 38
Rep. Aaron Peña - District 40
Rep. Patrick Rose - District 45
Rep. Valinda Bolton - District 47
Rep. Eddie Rodriguez - District 51
Rep. Jim Dunnam - District 57
Rep. Jim Keffer - District 60
Rep. Phil King - District 61
Rep. Burt Solomons - District 65
Rep. Brian McCall - District 66
Rep. Pete Gallego - District 74
Rep. Norma Chavez - District 76
Rep. Tryon Lewis - District 81
Rep. Tom Craddick - District 82
Rep. Delwin Jones - District 83
Rep. Carl Isett - District 84
Rep. Joe Heflin - District 85
Rep. David Swinford - District 87
Rep. Lon Burnam - District 90
Rep. Vicki Truitt - District 98
Rep. Allen Vaught - District 107
Rep. Dan Branch - District 108
Rep. Barbara Caraway - District 110
Rep. Joe Driver - District 113
Rep. Joe Straus - District 121
Rep. Allen Fletcher - District 130
Rep. Beverly Woolley - District 136
Rep. Hubert Vo - District 149

If you don't see your State Representative and/or State Senator listed, consider buying one or both of them a copy of the handbook ($9.25 + $5.25 S&H). You can locate your State Representative and/or State Senator here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handbooks can be purchased here: http://www.cafepress.com/lasttshirts.322143673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Douva on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

Dear Texas SCCC Supporters:

The 2009 Texas Legislative Session begins two weeks from this Tuesday. If your State Representative and State Senator have not yet received copies of the “SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition” (http://www.cafepress.com/lasttshirts.322143673#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), you have only a few days left to make sure they each receive a copy before the start of the session (delivery of new handbooks takes about 10 days).

Once the session begins and Senator Wentworth’s concealed carry on campus bill is filed, gun control activists and the media will pressure each legislator to take a public stand on this issue. Legislators who haven’t received information from us will likely base their positions on information from our opponents. It is imperative that each Texas Legislator be presented the FACTS of this issue BEFORE he or she is cornered into voicing an opinion.

To find out whether or not your legislators have received copies of the handbook, as well as to learn how to locate and contact your state legislators, check this post: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 15#p242803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most cost-effective way to send a handbook is to have it delivered directly to the legislator, along with a “gift message” from you. The handbooks must be shipped to each legislator separately, so if you’re ordering a copy for both your State Representative and State Senator, you’ll have to place two separate orders.

If your legislators have already received copies of the handbook, consider sending a copy to the editor of your local newspaper or the news director at a local TV station. Almost as important as educating legislators is the task of educating the media.

Now is also the time to begin studying the handbook yourself (a PDF version can be downloaded free of charge: http://www.StudentsForConcealedCarryOnCampus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and using the information contained within to compose letters to college officials, state legislators, newspaper editors, etc. You’ll want to have your letters ready to go when the issue finally “catches fire.” A sample letter to state legislators can be found here: http://www.concealedcampus.org/letter.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are on the verge of a fight like none we’ve ever seen. It’s time to prepare for battle!

Sincerely,

W. Scott Lewis
Advisor / Former National Media Coordinator
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
http://www.ConcealedCampus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Douva on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

I sent Craig Eiland district 23 a copy. I don't have a face book account so I have no means of updating the site.
I hope he accepts the handbook in the spirit that I send it to him.

This is a great idea, congradulations. It should prove very effective.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

Liberty wrote:I sent Craig Eiland district 23 a copy. I don't have a face book account so I have no means of updating the site.
I hope he accepts the handbook in the spirit that I send it to him.

This is a great idea, congradulations. It should prove very effective.

Thanks! I'll update the site.

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

These are the legislators who have received handbooks so far:

Lt. Governor David Dewhurst

Senator Kevin Elfite - District 1
Senator Bob Deuell - District 2
Senator Robert Nichols - District 3
Senator Steve Ogden - District 5
Senator Florence Shaprio - District 8
Senator Chris Harris - District 9
Senator Mike Jackson - District 11
Senator Jane Nelson - District 12
Senator Rodney Ellis - District 13
Senator Kirk Watson - District 14
Senator John Carona - District 16
Senator Joan Huffman - District 17
Senator Judith Zaffirini - District 21
Senator Troy Fraser - District 24
Senator Jeff Wentworth - District 25
Senator Leticia Van de Putte - District 26
Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. - District 27
Senator Robert Duncan - District 28

Rep. Stephen Frost - District 1
Rep. Bryan Hughes - District 5
Rep. Tommy Merritt - District 7
Rep. Wayne Christian - District 9
Rep. Lois Kolkhorst - District 13
Rep. Fred Brown - District 14
Rep. Brandon Creighton - District 16
Rep. Craig Eiland - District 23
Rep. Geanie Morrison - District 30
Rep. Eddie Lucio III - District 38
Rep. Aaron Peña - District 40
Rep. Patrick Rose - District 45
Rep. Valinda Bolton - District 47
Rep. Eddie Rodriguez - District 51
Rep. Jim Dunnam - District 57
Rep. Jim Keffer - District 60
Rep. Phil King - District 61
Rep. Burt Solomons - District 65
Rep. Brian McCall - District 66
Rep. Pete Gallego - District 74
Rep. Norma Chavez - District 76
Rep. Tryon Lewis - District 81
Rep. Tom Craddick - District 82
Rep. Delwin Jones - District 83
Rep. Carl Isett - District 84
Rep. Joe Heflin - District 85
Rep. David Swinford - District 87
Rep. Lon Burnam - District 90
Rep. Vicki Truitt - District 98
Rep. Allen Vaught - District 107
Rep. Dan Branch - District 108
Rep. Barbara Caraway - District 110
Rep. Joe Driver - District 113
Rep. Joe Straus - District 121
Rep. Allen Fletcher - District 130
Rep. Beverly Woolley - District 136
Rep. Hubert Vo - District 149

If you don't see your State Representative and/or State Senator listed, consider buying one or both of them a copy of the handbook ($9.25 + $5.25 S&H). You can locate your State Representative and/or State Senator here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handbooks can be purchased here: http://www.cafepress.com/lasttshirts.322143673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Douva on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

If you've read THIS thread, you realize that it's important to try to get the right information into the hands of BOTH legislators and school officials. The gun control organization GunFreeKids.org is sending out letters to college officials throughout the country, asking them to sign a petition opposing legislation aimed at legalizing concealed carry on college campuses. We need our legislators to know why the "facts" presented in this petition are false and/or misleading, and we need school officials to know why they shouldn't sign the petition in the first place.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

I read throught the PDF this is just the type of thing that our stae legilslators and senators love to get. Clear publications which address both the arguements for and against.
Whats with the Bradybunch? they keep morphing into another organization. I swear they have more groups than actual members.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Douva

Post by Douva »

Liberty wrote:I swear they have more groups than actual members.
I hope you don't mind if I borrow that line sometime. ;-)

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”