Open holster protest on Texas college campuses

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Open holster protest on Texas college campuses

Post by A-R »

FYI ... received this information via my Facebook account. I am a "fan"/"friend" of the Texas chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Chase Jennings March 5 at 9:16am Reply
Empty Holster Protest 2010:
Start Time:
Monday, April 5, 2010 at 12:00am
End Time:
Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:00am

This is our signature event every year and it is Extremely important that everyone attend.

It is also VERY important that everyone invite their entire friends list to the protest! If everyone invites at least 100 people, that's 126,700 people invited! This is the #1 way you can help us this year and we need everyone to do their part and spread the word.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/even ... 578&ref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your college gives you ANY problems whatsoever, message me directly with your contact info and the college name. We will take things from there and stand up for your right of free speech.

Chase
TXSCCC ED
TAMU VC
"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Gearheart
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Open holster protest on Texas college campuses

Post by Gearheart »

I joined in last year, at UTA, and added my name to a very short petition. The turnout was disappointing, so I'm not going to get excited about the number 126,700.

I don't expect a better turnout this year, since last time, we had bills in the house and senate to get excited about, but I'll show up and hang out for a little while. I borrowed an old cowboy action shooting holster for the occasion.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Seen this?

Tarrant County College violated students' rights, federal judge rules

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/15 ... ts-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FORT WORTH -- A federal judge has ruled that Tarrant County College violated the First Amendment rights of two students when it prohibited their attempts to stage empty-holster protests last fall.

U.S. District Judge Terry R. Means permanently enjoined TCC Chancellor Erma Johnson Hadley and the college from blocking empty-holster protests on campus, including in the classroom.

Further, Means said the college's co-sponsorship provision, limiting students' ability to invite outside organizations onto the campus, "broadly prohibits any speech by students that involves an off-campus organization."

Means added that the co-sponsorship provision "prohibits students from the most basic forms of expressive activity -- distribution of literature, use of signs and even assembly -- based on no more than the fact that the expression might depend on an off-campus organization for planning or management."

The case arose after TCC blocked a request to stage an empty-holster protest by students Clayton Smith and John Schwertz Jr. last November on the TCC Northeast Campus. The ruling allows the students to seek attorney's fees from the college.

The two students, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, filed suit against TCC. The protests advocated a change in state law to allow licensed concealed handgun owners to bring their guns onto campus. But the lawsuit and subsequent trial came to be viewed as a debate over free speech rather than gun rights.

Public safety issue

"We're really pleased with Judge Mean's opinion," said ACLU attorney Lisa Graybill. "The ruling permanently enjoins Ms. Hadley from stopping these protests. They're going to be able to wear their holsters in the classroom."

Smith, who was still reviewing the ruling, declined comment until he could consult with his attorneys.

Last fall, Means issued a temporary injunction allowing the empty-holster protests to go forward. They were held on the Northeast Campus and South Campus and no problems were reported.

After the lawsuit was filed, TCC revised its student handbook to allow empty-holster protests in public areas on campus but barred them in classrooms and hallways, saying that they would be disruptive. During the trial in January, Hadley testified that she worried the protests could frighten students or even allow another student to use the protests as cover for bringing a weapon onto campus.

Hadley wasn't available for comment Monday, but TCC attorney Angela Robinson said the college wasn't surprised by Means' ruling.

"The college approached this from a safety issue; the plaintiffs approached this as a First Amendment issue," Robinson said. "The court issued a very detailed opinion and it did strike a fair balance to both sides."

Marketplace of ideas

The empty-holster protests began being held at campuses across the country after the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting. TCC denied empty-holster protests in April 2008 and April 2009 and limited any protest to designated free-speech zones.

Another protest is scheduled for April and both Smith and Schwertz have said they plan to participate.

Even though Smith, now a student at the University of Texas at Arlington, will be allowed to participate, Means did not rule on the issue of whether off-campus visitors can participate in the protests. Since the college still considers Smith a student, Means said the plaintiffs have no standing on that issue.

During the trial, Means recalled dealing with volatile protests on the SMU campus as student body president that were allowed to take place with the assistance of the administration. In his ruling, Means expressed frustration that TCC did not seem to embrace the idea that a campus is "a marketplace of ideas" for its students.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Already a topic going on this:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=32778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Passing along another Facebook update from Texas Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Seems our very own Charles Cotton will be speaking at Texas A&M during their Empty Hoslter Protest week :clapping:
Our Empty Holster Protest is April 5-9th, all week long (all day long) and everyone is welcome to participate. Please view bottom of message for EHP week guidelines.

Please wear an empty holster all during this week, all day, to show your support. You can get a Cheap Airsoft holster (around $5) at walmart.

****The following events are on the campus of Texas A&M University--All are welcome to attend--ESPECIALLY our TXSCCC Group Photo, which will be posted on the national site.

*Speaker: John Lott, the Author of "More Guns, Less Crime" and a famed Economist
Thursday the 8th of April at 6:30 in Rudder301 Please invite your friends to the event! This is not going to be a campus by campus deal--this is your chance to get those books signed and meet John Lott in person.

*TXSCCC Group Photo: Thursday, the 8th of April at 5:30 in front of the Academic Building/Sully Ross Statue. Texas A&M University. Please attend to be in the state picture!

*Speaker: TSRA Executive Director Charles Cotton
Tuesday, the 6th of April at 5:15 in Rudder302

>>>Again, Please invite all of your friends to our group! This is crucial to our growth and the Easiest way you can show your support and help us out!

Lastly, here are the guidelines for the Empty Holster Protest:
1. You may wear your holster anywhere during empty holster week as an expression of free speech
2. It must be clearly visible and 100% empty (Nothing including non-gun items can be in them!)
3. Any flaps or straps must be open and pinned
4. Comply with LE (Law Enforcement) in all cases, but report any confrontations to State Director
5. If told to leave a class, to remove holster, or if criticized by campus administration/faculty, immediately report to State Director with name of the person(s) involved, your name, email, and a written statement of what happened

Feel free to message me with questions and comments. If you need flyers, send me message.

Chase Jennings
TX SCCC State Director
TAMU SCCC VC
"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

CaptWoodrow10

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

Looks like I'll be listening to Charles on Tuesday. :clapping:
Should be pretty interesting. :drool:
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Wow! :shock: Thanks for sharing austinrealtor! This would be an event to attend!

Charles Cotton AND John Lott. I do hope the media gets wind of this, and presents their stories in the proper context. This could go far in helping to accomplish the goals of getting the campus carry bill passed in next session of the legislature.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

If i can get off work in time, I'll be showing up to hear both Charles and John Lott. Very very cool!
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”