Referendum at Texas A&M Monday and Tuesday!

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txsccc
Posts in topic: 4

Referendum at Texas A&M Monday and Tuesday!

Post by txsccc »

We are in the middle of a referendum on concealed carry on campus---anyone at Texas A&M needs to vote YES to concealed carry on campus at vote.tamu.edu

If you have kids at Texas A&M, please have them vote YES to the concealed carry referendum. I'm very optimistic about this year, but we'll see how things turn out. I will let everyone know he results as soon as I find out. They will be announcing the results at 8PM Tuesday. Voting is 9AM to 5PM Tuesday. Stay tuned--I'm either going to be jumping for joy or very ticked off tomorrow.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Referendum at Texas A&M Monday and Tuesday!

Post by gigag04 »

Does this decide whether the universtity will allow it if it becomes law?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

gigag04 wrote:Does this decide whether the university will allow it if it becomes law?
:lol:

Actually, I think several Universities are deciding whether to send lobbyists to the Legislature's public hearings to testify yes or no.

From what I've seen, if John Woods/Colin Goddard convinced enough people, Colleges send a lobbyist to testify it's a bad idea because of feelings

If they can't convince people it's a bad idea, the College Student governments probably won't send anyone to testify that it's a good idea.

I think that's how it works.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

I voted yes! And anyway, if it becomes law I don't believe the University will have much of a choice.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

CJD wrote:I voted yes! And anyway, if it becomes law I don't believe the University will have much of a choice.
Universities have a choice now. They should have held these referendums years ago and done what the students wanted to do. Now they will no longer have a choice (if the law passes, and that seems almost a certainty), and they will have to allow law abiding citizens to exercise their rights.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

This is the message that we sent out to our members today with the results. I encourage all of you at Texas A&M to join our listserv at tamusccc.tamu.edu. Also, email me if you want to help get this bill passed. txsccc@yahoo.com
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
My friends,
the results for the referendum are posted:
( 13624 voters )
-------------
1. No, I do not support concealed carry on campus. 7806 57.30 %
2. Yes, I support concealed carry on campus. 5818 42.70 %

Our Opponents are calling this a "grand victory" for their side.

Myself (Chase), Derek (Co-chair), Lisa (VC), Madison (Chief Officer), and all our officers have fought hard--tooth and nail for your rights. We have made a lot of personal sacrifices (time, personal lives, grades, money) for the right to defend our lives and the lives of those we love. We will fight even harder and we will Not be deterred.

Our opponents are driven by fear and ignorance--they rally against us as you can see here: http://dof.tamu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SGFS Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/#!/sgfstexas?sk=wall

I know it's laughable how ignorant most of these responses are, but this is a very real threat to our cause and our safety as a result.

We need your help; we need you to stand up for your rights and fight with us. Even though our numbers are growing, the pro-criminal/anti-concealed carry side is fighting against us harder than ever and we cannot allow the uninformed majority to keep us defenseless from rapists, murderers, and psychopaths.

We can win this, but only with Your help. You Can Make Concealed Carry on Campus a Reality. You can make our campus a safer, criminal Unfriendly campus.

Step up and join the fight! Email us immediately if you want to help fight for your right to protect yourself and your loved ones. (TXSCCC@yahoo.com). Also get your friends to sign up for our listserv (tamusccc.tamu.edu).

We will continue to fight ever harder for the right to self defense on our campus.

Thank you for all your support,
TAMU SCCC Staff

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

For my personal response aside from the group response; I seriously thought we had this thing in the bag. Maybe that's what hurt us? So many people thought this was going to pass and they thought they didn't need to vote.

Let's not make the same mistake again--email the TAMU SCCC Staff at txsccc@yahoo.com if you want to help get this bill passed--you can make a huge difference!

The facts are irrefutable: 71 campuses allow it without a single resulting incident, they allow concealed carry at the capital and on the senate/house floor, they allow concealed carry just about everywhere in College Station and there has never been a single accident, crime, injury, suicide, etc. because of it. So how exactly are all these facts going to go out the window when this one place allows the good guys to have the means to stop armed criminals? It won't.

Edmund Burke had a good saying: "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Or as it is commonly interpreted, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it". I just hope that we pass this because eventually, undeniably, and unfortunately, history Does repeat itself. The only "if" is where and when. Think about it, every person who has been a victim probably told themselves, "It will never happen to me--the chances are so slim and I feel so safe that it could never happen to me". The question here is: When it Does happen, will students, faculty, and staff be allowed to defend themselves? Or will they be allowed to be killed for the sake of someone else "feeling safe"?

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

dang it. :???:

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. In the end, some people don't respond to facts or evidence. I just didn't think there would be so many of them on the Texas A&M campus.

Keep up the fight! :thumbs2: :txflag:
TANSTAAFL

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

74novaman wrote:dang it. :???:

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. In the end, some people don't respond to facts or evidence. I just didn't think there would be so many of them on the Texas A&M campus.

:iagree: Thanks for all that you do.
NRA Endowment Member

CJD

Post by CJD »

Even though the referendum majority was for "no", I don't believe this should sway the legislature in any way. Seeing as how ONLY 2% of the adult population of Texas get their CHLs anyway, I find it amazing that we got the high number for "yes" that we did to be honest. Obviously approximately 98% of adults are only so-so about their own personal protection, but the 2% who care should have every right to defend themselves even if the majority don't think so.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

57.30 % to 42.70 % proves that CHLs are more likely to suffer from allergies and had to stay home, had to go to work, pick up kids at daycare and go home to families instead of voting, or were complacent.

The total of 13,624 voters out of the population of enrolled students shows that younger people tend to live closer to campus an showed up to vote while more responsible enrolled adults had to go to work, pick up kids at daycare and go home to families such that the population of voters is skewed from the beginning.

The final thing I have to say is I have no idea, I'm just making things up like the anti-gun group does. :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

RPB wrote:
The total of 13,624 voters out of the population of enrolled students shows that younger people tend to live closer to campus an showed up to vote while more responsible enrolled adults had to go to work, pick up kids at daycare and go home to families such that the population of voters is skewed from the beginning.

:mrgreen:
all voting was done online.
TANSTAAFL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

ooooops, OK, how about CHLs spend so much in ammo practicing so they won't catch innocent students in the crossfire that they ran out of "Internet minutes"? :oops: ;-)
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

74novaman wrote:dang it. :???:

I think they are going in order:

First Amendment... February ...

SBP regulation rules out free speech
http://www.thebatt.com/opinion/sbp-regu ... -1.1964863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Student Senate and its Election Commission might think it is OK to arbitrarily infringe on candidates' freedom of speech by

http://www.thebatt.com/opinion/vote-me-1.1978190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second Amendment .... March .....

I'm no lawyer

Topic author
txsccc

Post by txsccc »

Again, if anyone wants to help out, please email us at txsccc@yahoo.com

If you cannot donate your time, we could really use some help with funding for this year. Our funds are being used for busing students, advertising materials, on campus events such as the mass CHL class we will be hosting, speakers, more t-shirts, etc.

To donate, you can send a check to:

Student Organization Finance Center
Texas A&M University
125 John J Koldus Student Services Building
Mail Stop 1236
Slot #385
College Station, TX 77843-1236

All checks must be made out to TAMU SCCC. Those who donate at least $10 will receive a silver membership lapel/hat pin and those who donate $25 or more will receive a gold membership and gold colored membership pin.

Thank you for your support!
Chase Jennings
TXSCCC State Director, TAMU SCCC Co-Chair

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”