Amendment Allowing Campuses to Decide?

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AJ80
Posts in topic: 1

Amendment Allowing Campuses to Decide?

Post by AJ80 »

I found this article.
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Texa ... tion=story

The quote attributed to State Representative Fred Brown is quite disturbing.
"I'm carrying an amendment to the bill allowing each university to vote on whether they want to have campus carry or not I still support the bill, I still think it's a second amendment issue,"
Is he really? :shock:
I don't even know which campus carry bill this article is talking about, there are 3 now right?

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Amendment Allowing Campuses to Decide?

Post by Dave2 »

My understanding is that each university can already decide. Something about the dean or president of the school or something being able to write or say the magic words, and then CHL holders can CC inside the buildings and in class. Either I'm remembering wrong, though, or only some very small # of them allow it.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Might as well ban it as I see it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

each university can already decide.

They want to amend it "to death" ... keep the "status quo" of allowing everyone to keep the same ban they currently have which is what Virginia Tech enjoyed and kept the same failed system. :mad5
------------------------

Subject*
Which is it?
Your Message*
State Representative Fred Brown supports the bill.
''I'm carrying an amendment to the bill allowing each university to vote on whether they want to have campus carry or not I still support the bill, I still think it's a second amendment issue,'' said State Representative Fred Brown, (R) District 14.
--------------------------------------------------
Which is it? An Individual right of self Defense, or kill the bill with your amendment and deny that right?

Each university can already decide.

They want to amend it ''to death'' ... keep the ''status quo'' of allowing everyone to keep the same ban they currently have which is what Virginia Tech enjoyed and kept the same failed system allowing Cho to murder people uncontested.

Guess I'll need to finish college online and vote for someone else next time if you do that.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

blue

Post by blue »

The STATE of TEXAS Preempts city, county governments.

Why should schools and colleges, be able to override Tx State laws when the citys cannot?

What happens next year when there is a new college president who changes the rules, yet again?

Schools and colleges should NOT be "Special". PERIOD.

Those students, teachers, faculty are NO different than the rest of us. A Campus should be NO different than the rest of Texas.

boba

Post by boba »

Should colleges be able to decide whether to allow Obama t-shirts on campus? How about bibles?

It's a first amendment issue, so according to Fred Brown that means colleges should be able to decide whether or not to allow bibles on campus. :headscratch

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

gigag04 wrote:Might as well ban it as I see it.
Isn't it already banned? Isn't that the issue?

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Oldgringo wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Might as well ban it as I see it.
Isn't it already banned? Isn't that the issue?
Only by default. As things are right now, each campus's Head Guy/Gal In Charge can authorize CC on campus. All but a couple chose not to. If this amendment gets in the bill, nothing will change. As soon as the law goes in to effect, all the HG/GICs will ban CC on their campus and we'll be right back where we started.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

txsccc

Post by txsccc »

I hope everyone here is calling Fred Brown, writing to him and visiting him!

It doesn't do any good complaining about it, but it DOES do good telling him about it!

Capitol Address:

Room CAP 1N.09, Capitol
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
(512) 463-0698
(512) 463-5109 Fax
District Address:

1920 West Villa Maria Road
Suite 303
Bryan, TX 77807
(979) 822-9797
(979) 822-7979 Fax

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I don't think that this amendent has any chance of passing. I believe that it would also violate the preemptive provisions of the Texas constitution.
NRA Endowment Member

Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

We will fight amendments like that tooth and nail. If such an amendment were added we might as well not even pass the campus carry bills, because none of the schools will allow it. It's going to be all or nothing when it comes to issues like that.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

CERTAINLY campus "law" should trump state and federal law!

Why, if a campus feels it would be inappropriate for "students" to VOTE, than their "law" should be respected.

WHY should an individual be allowed to exercise lawful privileges on a college campus, let alone RIGHTS.

PPPFFFFFFFFFttttttttttttttttttt.....................
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

txsccc wrote:I hope everyone here is calling Fred Brown, writing to him and visiting him!

It doesn't do any good complaining about it, but it DOES do good telling him about it!
I sent him this message: Rep. Brown, this statement is from the KBTX story on the student poll on concealed carry: "State Representative Fred Brown supports the bill. "I'm carrying an amendment to the bill allowing each university to vote on whether they want to have campus carry or not I still support the bill, I still think it's a second amendment issue," said State Representative Fred Brown, (R) District 14. "

I believe that you're already aware that current law allows universities to decide whether to allow concealed carry in campus buildings. The amendment described above is simply maintaining the status quo (i.e., giving the University the chance to opt out and keep restricting concealed carry in campus buildings). Thus, it appears that you are trying to have it both ways -- appear to support 2nd Amendment rights while enabling the University to restrict campus carry.

If you propose this amendment, I and many others will correctly interpret it as opposition from you on this issue. I voted for you in the last election, even though I thought your support for this legislation in 2009 was half-hearted. If you propose this amendment to HB 750, I will actively contribute to, and campaign for, your opposition.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

And here is Rep Brown's reply to my message above:

Rep. Driver the author of HB 750, would not support my amendment. Therefore I will remain a co-author of the bill the way it is. Thank you for keeping me informed of your opinions. Your views are always greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Fred Brown
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks J.R. I was wondering what his response would be.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”