Join us at the Capital Wednesday to Support HB 750!!!

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txsccc
Posts in topic: 2

Join us at the Capital Wednesday to Support HB 750!!!

Post by txsccc »

The House committee hearing on HB 750 (our concealed carry on campus bill) is going to be this Wednesday, so we need to get AS MANY SUPPORTERS AS POSSIBLE to the Capitol.

The hearing starts at 2 PM, but we're going to meet at the Capitol at 9 AM on the Capital Steps and spend the morning visiting with legislators and staff. Look for our banner in the morning—we will be there 9AM Sharp and head off at 9:15AM (call 512-921-1265 if you get left behind).

Everyone who comes to the capital Wednesday will receive Free SCCC decals, magnets, and a Special Edition Bronze SCCC Lapel Pin just for showing up!
We MUST have a good turnout at this hearing--we cannot let our opponents show up with more support than us.

I know that Austin is a long drive for many of you, and I know that everyone wants to have fun over the break, but if you want this to pass, you Need to show up!

If you need to contact us Wednesay: Call 512-921-1265
Otherwise, email txsccc@yahoo.com

The Address of the Capital is: (512) 463-0063
1100 Congress Ave (11th Street)
Austin, TX 78701

I hope to see you all there—look for our banner on the steps Wednesday!!!

Chase Jennings
TXSCCC State Director

Topic author
txsccc

Re: Join us at the Capital Wednesday to Support HB 750!!!

Post by txsccc »

At the Committee Meeting: You can submit a written testimony or simply take a position on a position card. State your position clearly: "I am FOR HB 750 because..." Please bring about 30 copies of your written testimony including your name, address, and any other important info (veteran, parent, alumni, staff, faculty, what college you attend, etc). Make sure to fill out a card for EACH of our bills:

> HB 750 - The most important
> HB 86
> HB 1167
> HB 1356

IF YOU CANNOT MAKE IT: Please at least send us your written testimony, which we will print and distribute to the legislators for you!

It doesn’t have to be long—just why you want concealed carry on campus/your story, example: “I was a victim and want concealed carry on campus…", etc.

Please include your contact information (name, address, email, phone number) and what your relation to the cause is (faculty, staff, student at which college, veteran, alumni, parent, etc).

Please send your testimony to TXSCCC@yahoo.com by 8PM Tuesday (March 15th)

Chase Jennings

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

It's been over 50 years since I was there, I seem to remember staying at a motel down the street, seems like it was a dirt road, and a covered wagon ...
but seriously, can anyone suggest parking locations/cheap motels, or ? I probably can't make it, but I might get a wild hair and show up if I don't have to take care of my niece..

If E-mailed ... you want it plain text, RTF in the body of the e-mail?
Or attached as .DOC or .TXT ?
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Douva
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Douva »

RPB wrote:It's been over 50 years since I was there, I seem to remember staying at a motel down the street, seems like it was a dirt road, and a covered wagon ...
but seriously, can anyone suggest parking locations/cheap motels, or ? I probably can't make it, but I might get a wild hair and show up if I don't have to take care of my niece..

If E-mailed ... you want it plain text, RTF in the body of the e-mail?
Or attached as .DOC or .TXT ?
There are a number of hotels in the area. I think some of the older ones along Interstate 35 are supposed to be reasonably priced. You can probably do a vicinity search on Priceline or one of those sites.

The visitors parking garage is just east of Capitol, on East 12th St., between San Jacinto and Trinity. It's something like $2/hour, first two hours free, maximum of $8 (that's from memory, so I could be a little off--I always end up paying the full $8).

Useful info on the Capitol complex: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/spb/plan/fl ... orplan.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thank you :tiphat:
I'm sure Professor/Doctor John Lott already knew, but I dropped him a note with the video link in case he isn't here, link to this thread so he'll know to look for a banner maybe if he is present, etc. in case .... perhaps he may want to post his website ...

(I mean if a "foreigner" from up Nawth like Colin Goddard can testify here ...)
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm no lawyer

apostate

Post by apostate »

txsccc wrote:The House committee hearing on HB 750 (our concealed carry on campus bill) is going to be this Wednesday, so we need to get AS MANY SUPPORTERS AS POSSIBLE to the Capitol.

The hearing starts at 2 PM, but we're going to meet at the Capitol at 9 AM on the Capital Steps and spend the morning visiting with legislators and staff. Look for our banner in the morning—we will be there 9AM Sharp and head off at 9:15AM (call 512-921-1265 if you get left behind).
Do you want us "old guys" there as well? If so, I'll see if I can break free and drive up Wednesday.

Do you anticipate any issues with being armed? (e.g. Will any government meetings be posted?)

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Just linking

Guide to testifying before the Texas Legislature
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Douva wrote:
RPB wrote:Good info on "Position cards" and written Testimony here for those who can't stay all day.
Unless you have a particularly compelling/unique story, written testimony and position cards are the way to go. It rubs the legislators the wrong way when too many people show up and say exactly the same thing.
So I sent my written, I'll see if I can be there too, I'd sure like to be there and watch.
Do you want us "old guys" there as well? If so, I'll see if I can break free and drive up Wednesday.

Do you anticipate any issues with being armed? (e.g. Will any government meetings be posted?)

Hey, I have a 2-foot-long gray beard (belly button lint filter) and if I can, I'll be there.
As I understand it, you can't be armed "on the floor?"
I'm no lawyer

apostate

Post by apostate »

I believe the committee hearing will be in the Capitol Extension.

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jordanmills »

Out of town, but I emailed you.

Douva
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Douva »

RPB wrote:Just linking

Guide to testifying before the Texas Legislature
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Douva wrote:
RPB wrote:Good info on "Position cards" and written Testimony here for those who can't stay all day.
Unless you have a particularly compelling/unique story, written testimony and position cards are the way to go. It rubs the legislators the wrong way when too many people show up and say exactly the same thing.
So I sent my written, I'll see if I can be there too, I'd sure like to be there and watch.

Hey, I have a 2-foot-long gray beard (belly button lint filter) and if I can, I'll be there.
As I understand it, you can't be armed "on the floor?"
There are no 30.06 signs in the Capitol, and no locations are statutorily off limits. The committee hearing will take place in one of the hearing rooms on level E1 (upper level of the underground Capitol extension--see the page of maps to which I previously linked).

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks

Also, if you can't send written testimony and ...
if you can't attend, you can call the following offices of the members of the committee:

Sid Miller, Chair - (512) 463-0628
Allen Fletcher, Vice Chair - (512) 463-0661
Marva Beck - (512) 463-0508
Lon Burnam - (512) 463-0740
Joe Driver - (512) 463-0574 (lead author)
Dan Flynn - (512) 463-0880
Barbara Mallory Caraway - (512) 463-0664
Aaron Peña - (512) 463-0426
Armando Walle - (512) 463-0924
I'm no lawyer

aggiedev

Post by aggiedev »

Written testimony submitted! Sorry I can't make it. Work calls as usual.

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Written Testimony Sent! Sorry I cant make it either, hopefully my written testimony will help! :txflag:
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Worked the calls this morning too. I got some good responses.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The committee is considering five separate bills today; four are related to campus carry - HB 86 (Simpson), HB 750 (Driver), HB 1167 (Taylor, Van) and HB 1356 (Gooden). The other bill is HB 698 Huberty | et al. Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns by certain persons attending a school board meeting, which grants special privileges to school board members and school district superintendents.

Of the four campus carry bills, there are AFAICT only minor differences; 86 applies to all higher ed (public and private), 750 leaves the decision up to the private schools but requires public schools to allow campus carry, 1167 applies to public junior colleges and public technical institutes only and 1356 excludes permit holders with permits issued by other states.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”