I'm giving Senate Testimony on Tuesday

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
karl
Posts in topic: 6

I'm giving Senate Testimony on Tuesday

Post by karl »

So I've been presented with an opportunity to lobby for Campus Carry at the Capitol by testifying in front of the senate this Tuesday, March 22 in favor of SB 354 (Thanks to RPB for the Alice Tripp article :tiphat: ). I'll be allotted 3 minutes to speak in front of the committee members. I'm brainstorming ideas on what I should say. After writing a testimony for the House, Alice e-mailed me back with these instructions:
You will only have about 3 minutes to testify. All they need to hear is YOUR story. What you do, where you go, and what it means NOT to be able to have your CHL with you. Please don't quote the constitution, founding fathers, or talk about gun-free zones. Forgive me for sounding bossy but the role of an impact witness is to put a "face" on what this means to those who would most likely use the legislation.

The other side will talk too long, be too emotional, and bring no real information. We need to be clear and concise.
I'm looking for some insight. I've got a short rough draft of my speech but am looking to add to it.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I'm giving Senate Testimony on Tuesday

Post by Scott in Houston »

That's awesome!

Who is Alice?

That does sound "bossy". You should be able to say what you want. I understand giving guidance but the way that read irritated me.

Good luck, God speed, and go get 'em!

Topic author
karl

Post by karl »

Alice Tripp, affiliated with TSRA. I'm ok with her laying out those requirements. Arguments that do not use logic are worthless. I guess what I'm really looking for is an angle to pitch my ideas, I haven't been feeling creative lately.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

FL450
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FL450 »

This is the email I sent Alice Last week for written testimony to the committee. Hope it gives you some ideas.

To Alice Tripp (TSRA), Members of the Committee;
I am a graduate student attending night classes at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) in Houston. ERAU is the largest aviation and aerospace university in the world with main campuses in Prescott, AZ and Daytona, FL as well as satellite campuses all over the US including Houston. In fact two of the astronauts that just landed from the most recent shuttle mission were graduates from ERAU.
Houston is in bid with Chicago for a larger campus to be located here in Houston.
The campus carry bill would provide great piece of mind to those of us attending schools. Crime has risen in this down economy especially crimes of opportunity. I worry not only for my self but for the thousands of other students who must walk to and from their cars at night while attending class to try and further their education. This bill would help provide piece of mind to many men and women and put some sense of security back in their hands.
I thank you for the consideration in passing this bill.

Regards

Her response is below:
Thank you, Barry, well said.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

Good afternoon Committe Members, I appreciate this opportunity to put a face on the impact that this bill, if passed, will have on the law abiding citizens of Texas. I have been a CHL holder for X years. I got my CHL because I am a strong believer in the Constitution and because I drive to work each day through dangerous neighborhoods. When I arrive at work, I have to disarm and lock my firearm in a safe in my car before I enter the property. I do this each day because I am a law abiding citizen, but I would obviously prefer to be armed all the time. I can't predict when, or even if, I will be attacked and need to defend myself. That is why I prefer to carry every day, all the time, everywhere I am. Right now Texas law arbitrarily disarms me at work for reasons that have more to do with fear than facts. This law proposes to remove the arbitrary barrier that assumes that bad things will never happen simply because I've crossed an imaginary barrier where guns are supposedly not allowed. We all know it's not true. Occasionally we are jolted into reality by awful events such as the massacre at Luby's in Killeen, which prompted the current Texas CHL laws or the tragedy at Virginia Tech, which prompted this proposed change in the law. The reality is that those events are extremely rare. What is much less rare is the single encounter late at night in a parking lot, the sudden attack by a drug-crazed individual intent on robbing so he can get high, the roaming predator looking for victims in the deserted halls of an office building late at night. Each individual must decide for themselves how they will deal with these events, should they happen to them. Some think the right answer is to disarm everyone, leaving them defenseless in the face of evil. They think the police should handle every problem, no matter how unrealistic that view is. I have made the decision that I will take responsibility for my own and my family's safety. I ask that you pass this bill and honor my decision. I speak for hundreds of law abiding citizens all over the state who only ask that their personal decisions be honored as well. We should not be disarmed because others are fearful. We should not be defenseless in the face of evil. We should not be treated any differently than we are in every other place where we carry legally, without incident and without notice, day after day after day. In closing, I ask that you pass this bill and level the playing field with criminals. You can trust us. We CHL holders have proven it in the 16 years that we have been carrying legally.
Last edited by baldeagle on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
karl

Post by karl »

baldeagle wrote:Occasionally we are jolted into reality by awful events such as the massacre at Luby's in Killeen, which prompted the current Texas CHL laws or the tragedy at Virginia Tech, which prompted this proposed change in the law. The reality is that those events are extremely rare. What is much less rare is the single encounter late at night in a parking lot, the sudden attack by a drug-crazed individual intent on robbing so he can get high, the roaming predator looking for victims in the deserted halls of an office building late at night.
Love this section.

Topic author
karl

Post by karl »

baldeagle wrote:I speak for hundreds of law abiding citizens all over the state who only ask that their personal decisions be honored as well.
I like this part too. I guess it hadn't hit me that I will be representing the interests of not only myself but students throughout the state.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

You have my permission to use the ideas, in your own words, during your testimony. After writing it, I decided to send it, slightly reworded, to Alice Tripp so she could put it in the record.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

She wants "your story"
not generalized "facts" nor etc like the John Woods groupies. She wants something THEY can relate to and understand about YOU.

Examples above are great, here's part of "MY" story:
I was on Staff at San Jacinto College and at University of Houston, Clear Lake.

I attended Houston Community College, San Jacinto College (one honor society and President of Phi Beta Lambda Business club) and University of Houston (Four honor societies, top 5% of the college). I was accepted at South Texas School of Law, was "detoured by life, raising 2 girls as "daughters" which are now college age.

I'm 56 years old, credit cards, prior student loans, second house and car all paid off, retired from working over 25 years in a law office as a legal assistant, and ready to continue my education, and NOT a member of the NRA or any pro-gun nor anti-gun organization.

I was born missing one hand, so I'm "less able" to defend myself.
It's quite obvious to criminals that I might be an "easy target".

When at San Jacinto College, a man pulled a knife on me in the parking lot when I was leaving school one day.

I have been victim of two hostage situations and had loaded guns at my head when I was in stores which were robbed, and locked in store rooms and made to lay on the floor helplessly, but luckily I wasn't executed like the girls in the Austin yogurt shop.

My 40 caliber customized Glock was stolen out of the truck when I was staff at University of Houston. This is where we are currently forced to store guns, since we can't take them inside with us like we do everywhere else.
If I carry my $1,000.00 customized pistol inside my $175.00 holster safe and secure and concealed inside my waistband retained by my $100.00 reinforced belt, I absolutely guarantee you are safer than it being left in a car for a criminal to get while I run into the library. No one has ever reached into my pants in the library or in a classroom to see what might be concealed in there.

and it goes on ... "Mr. Responsible citizen" etc ... but I need to cut some out and be short and memorable.
Last edited by RPB on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

apostate

Post by apostate »

RPB wrote:She wants "your story"
not generalized "facts" nor etc like the John Woods groupies. She wants something THEY can relate to and understand about YOU.

Does that mean you're going to the committee hearing Tuesday afternoon? Image

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

apostate wrote:Image
Thats awesome "rlol"
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

apostate wrote:
RPB wrote:She wants "your story"

Does that mean you're going to the committee hearing Tuesday afternoon? Image
I'll have to see if my brother is taking care of a "situation" :nono: created by his hormonal 15-1/2 year old daughter and a male "friend" of hers :reddevil who have "plans" Tuesday, (last year the Sheriff got involved, perhaps the "scare" wore off) She has become more responsible and a lot "better person" already, but ... :grumble

Edited to remove "TMI"

In a nutshell, I'm not sure if I can make it or not yet.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

Will you be carrying while testifying?

If so, some advice, don't make it a show and tell session.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:Good afternoon Committe Members, I appreciate this opportunity to put a face on the impact that this bill, if passed, will have on the law abiding citizens of Texas. I have been a CHL holder for X years. I got my CHL because I am a strong believer in the Constitution and because I drive to work each day through dangerous neighborhoods. When I arrive at work, I have to disarm and lock my firearm in a safe in my car before I enter the property. I do this each day because I am a law abiding citizen, but I would obviously prefer to be armed all the time. I can't predict when, or even if, I will be attacked and need to defend myself. That is why I prefer to carry every day, all the time, everywhere I am. Right now Texas law arbitrarily disarms me at SCHOOL for reasons that have more to do with fear than facts. This law proposes to remove the arbitrary barrier that assumes that bad things will never happen simply because I've crossed an imaginary barrier where guns are supposedly not allowed. We all know it's not true. Occasionally we are jolted into reality by awful events such as the massacre at Luby's in Killeen, which prompted the current Texas CHL laws or the tragedy at Virginia Tech, which prompted this proposed change in the law. The reality is that those events are extremely rare. What is much less rare is the single encounter late at night in a parking lot, the sudden attack by a drug-crazed individual intent on robbing so he can get high, the roaming predator looking for victims in the deserted halls of an office building late at night. Each individual must decide for themselves how they will deal with these events, should they happen to them. Some think the right answer is to disarm everyone, leaving them defenseless in the face of evil. They think the police should handle every problem, no matter how unrealistic that view is. I have made the decision that I will take responsibility for my own and my family's safety. I ask that you pass this bill and honor my decision. I speak for hundreds of law abiding citizens all over the state who only ask that their personal decisions be honored as well. We should not be disarmed because others are fearful. We should not be defenseless in the face of evil. We should not be treated any differently than we are in every other place where we carry legally, without incident and without notice, day after day after day. In closing, I ask that you pass this bill and level the playing field with criminals. You can trust us. We CHL holders have proven it in the 16 years that we have been carrying legally.
I would eliminate the constititional reference, exactly as Alice Tripp has recommended. The reason is that politicians get their backs up when "mere" citizens lecture them about the Constitution. Secondly, isn't this about campus carry from a student's perspective rather than a school employees? Baldeagle and others who work on campus have rights too, but I believe that, from a political perspective, Karl's voice is being sought because he is a student, and not an employee. So he should speak for students, and let an employee speak for employees.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”