Campus Carry - Private College

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 2

Campus Carry - Private College

Post by randomoutburst »

I feel like an idiot, but I thought the Campus Carry Bill died this spring. It seems that the senate added it on to a different bill and passed it??

If so, then what constitutes a private college "prohibiting" carry? My college states that firearms are not allowed on campus BUT does not EVER mention anything about concealed carry with a license. Does that mean I am legal to carry?

My hubby and I organized Campus Carry demonstrations at Austin College in previous years and the administration is VERY anti-gun so I do NOT want to ask them and bring attention to it.

What do you think? What information can you give me on this? I'm embarrassed and disappointed that I somehow missed this, and feel like I'm in a fog because I haven't been keeping up with current goings-on. I'm hungry for information, ya'll. FEED ME!

C-dub

Re: Campus Carry - Private College

Post by C-dub »

Hey Random.

It did die. It was attached to another bill, but that author yanked it because it looked like it was going to pass with Campus Carry attached to it. It was a liberal state senator.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

PC 46.03(a)(1) remains in effect at least until 2013. It is a felony to carry a firearm in a private or public school building without written permission.

This is true for CHL holders and everyone else. (Otherwise it would be legal to carry a rifle or shotgun.)

While exceptions are rare, they are given to organized shooting teams and some students in law-enforcement programs who are not already certified LEOs. College of the Mainland in Texas City has such a program and has a shooting range on campus. It doesn''t sound like you could get an exception.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

C-dub wrote:It did die. It was attached to another bill, but that author yanked it because it looked like it was going to pass with Campus Carry attached to it. It was a liberal state senator.
I thought the Republican leadership (House Speaker Joe Straus) got campus safety removed from the bill.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

tacticool wrote:
C-dub wrote:It did die. It was attached to another bill, but that author yanked it because it looked like it was going to pass with Campus Carry attached to it. It was a liberal state senator.
I thought the Republican leadership (House Speaker Joe Straus) got campus safety removed from the bill.
I don't know what you mean by "campus safety."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

Okay, I feel better now as far as my knowledge goes. I was sure it died but today a fellow gun-friendly student swore up and down that it's legal now. Luckily she isn't licensed so she wasn't carrying -- I'm sure she would have carried with that misinformation had she been licensed. While that's a bit disappointing (as I would have been happy to hear it passed) it's also a relief because it means I HAVE been getting my information from good sources and had correct information. Whew!

In any case, can we talk hypothetical? What if a campus carry bill passes in the future? My hubby and I graduate in 2012 but he will be pursuing a doctorate, so the campus carry bill is still a cause close to us. If he attends a private college and they only specify "no firearms" but say nothing specifically about licensed carry, would we still be good under the law to carry? Would they have to post 30.06? Would the "no firearms" blanket rule in the handbook also apply to those with concealed weapons? I mean, the 30.06 requirements for a legally binding sign apply to other private entities, so shouldn't that also apply to private institutions? Just wondering, as I hope those questions will be something I'm asking after the next convening of Texas Legislation. I'm sure we can get it passed in time...

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

What might happen in 2013 depends upon the exact wording of a statute that would be signed into law then. There are so many variables, including who would be governor, it is completely unpredictable.

With respect to private institutions, probably they would have to post 30.06 signs to enforce a criminal offense of carrying a concealed handgun on their property. They can post every square inch of their property. Some of them do now. If any campus-carry bill passes in 2013, you could do brisk business selling compliant 30.06 signs. :grumble

- Jim

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

C-dub wrote:I don't know what you mean by "campus safety."
Neither does the Texas Legislature. :totap:

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

randomoutburst wrote:Would they have to post 30.06? Would the "no firearms" blanket rule in the handbook also apply to those with concealed weapons? I mean, the 30.06 requirements for a legally binding sign apply to other private entities, so shouldn't that also apply to private institutions?
Remember that 30.06 is only relevant if they want to have you arrested and prosecuted. Violating school policy isn't illegal but they can fire employees and expel students. That would essentially kill his chance of getting a PhD.

Seamus is right that campus carry legislation has many possible variables. Even this year, there were several bills with significant differences.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Even with the parking-lot bill, it isn't clear whether having a 30.06 sign would trump the employee's right to have a concealed weapon in a personally owned vehicle. The people who run colleges and some influential alumni did not want the parking lot bill applied to colleges. They very much did not want campus carry, and they got that wish.

At this point, the best you can do is watch whom to vote for in 2012, especially in the primaries for the state legislature. These races often are decided by a small margin.

Also support the TSRA.

Very few candidates at any level will come out and say exactly what they would do to support the RKBA. They all say they support the second amendment. Everyone says that, even the Bradys. The big clue is when they say, "I support the second amendment, but..."

I'm going to resist the urge to editorialize further about specific candidates or issues.

- Jim

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

There are only about 25 legislators (house and senate combined) who voted for campus carry legislation. Each citizen can make their own decisions how they should vote in response.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”