Anybody do NDT?

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Anybody do NDT?

Post by Killadocg23 »

Hi gents,

I have my degree in Aviation Maintenance(Dont have my A&P yet) and was looking at NDT to compliment that. Just curious if anybody here does NDT. To get an associates degree would just be another year to complete. IF so, do you like it? IS there a good job market for it?

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anybody do NDT?

Post by boxermoose »

I got my son into it after high school and he’s made a go of it working first in NDT and then getting his API certs. Works for an embedded crew in one of the refinery’s

He’s 27, with overtime he makes close to $100k a year and loves it. Took 4 years experience to get to this rate

The local college San Jac has a good program

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

boxermoose wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 pm I got my son into it after high school and he’s made a go of it working first in NDT and then getting his API certs. Works for an embedded crew in one of the refinery’s

He’s 27, with overtime he makes close to $100k a year and loves it. Took 4 years experience to get to this rate

Get all the API certs you can and be an inspector. It’s a great technical field and it pays well, the more certs and experience the greater the pay. I’ve been in chemical plants for 24 years now and if I started over again I’d go that route. It doesn’t hurt to have welding experience either but it’s not necessary.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:49 am [quote=boxermoose post_id=<a href="tel:1239476">1239476</a> time=<a href="tel:1550452773">1550452773</a> user_id=14285]
I got my son into it after high school and he’s made a go of it working first in NDT and then getting his API certs. Works for an embedded crew in one of the refinery’s

Get all the API certs you can and be an inspector. It’s a great technical field and it pays well, the more certs and experience the greater the pay. I’ve been in chemical plants for 24 years now and if I started over again I’d go that route. It doesn’t hurt to have welding experience either but it’s not necessary.
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen, I don’t know how I missed this. I really appreciate the responses. I am In corpus now but moving back to houston pretty soon and wanted to do some NDT classes.

What plant are you working at for those 24 years?

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen, I don’t know how I missed this. I really appreciate the responses. I am In corpus now but moving back to houston pretty soon and wanted to do some NDT classes.

What plant are you working at for those 24 years?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:49 am
boxermoose wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 pm I got my son into it after high school and he’s made a go of it working first in NDT and then getting his API certs. Works for an embedded crew in one of the refinery’s

:iagree: I was suggesting the same welding + NDT to a student just last week.
My older brother did this for NASA for close to 40 years.
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

FYI I worked for Dow for 5 years and Celanese the rest.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

mrvmax wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm FYI I worked for Dow for 5 years and Celanese the rest.
Do you mind if I send you a PM?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Killadocg23 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 am
mrvmax wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm FYI I worked for Dow for 5 years and Celanese the rest.
Do you mind if I send you a PM?
Feel free

Return to “Job Board”