Seeking opportunity: Part time IT project manager?

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Seeking opportunity: Part time IT project manager?

Post by OldCannon »

I have about 3 decades of project management experience, including multi-year careers at Microsoft and Dell. I’ve transitioned into real estate about 5 months ago(wanted a career I could scale up and down, depending on my needs). Unfortunately, even in such a hot seller’s market, I’m still working on finding clients, and people usually stop thinking about buying/selling a home during the holidays. If anybody needs a part-time project management mentor/worker bee, I’m available! (Yes, I fully understand that "part-time" and "project manager" rarely go together :lol:)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Seeking opportunity: Part time IT project manager?

Post by BigGuy »

OldCannon wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:50 pm I have about 3 decades of project management experience, including multi-year careers at Microsoft and Dell. I’ve transitioned into real estate about 5 months ago(wanted a career I could scale up and down, depending on my needs). Unfortunately, even in such a hot seller’s market, I’m still working on finding clients, and people usually stop thinking about buying/selling a home during the holidays. If anybody needs a part-time project management mentor/worker bee, I’m available! (Yes, I fully understand that "part-time" and "project manager" rarely go together :lol:)
Dude, you're basically an engineer. Engineers NEVER, let me repeat NEVER make good sales people. I had a sales guy one time say, "you seem to see things very black and white." Well yeah. Something is true or it's not. The closest thing to a grey area in my world is, "I don't have sufficient data, or training, to know which."
When the widget maker stops making widgets, I'm the guy they look to to get it started back. Yes, I know that part the boss (who came up through sales) is pointing too is less expensive than the one belching flames and smoke that I want to replace. But we are NOT going to be making widgets until we put the fire out and replace that part. NO! That is no a bad attitude on my part. It doesn't mean I'm not a company man. Heres a concept alien to sales people. Reality can't be spinned.
I worked for an insurance agency owned by a bank back in the mid 80s. I never wanted the customer to be able to honestly say, "You didn't tell me that wasn't covered." I made sure the customer (potential customer) was aware of the limitations of their policy.
It probably doesn't surprise you that I wasn't top salesman of the year. My boss made the comment, "It sounds like you're trying to talk them out of buying the policy."
Go with your strengths. Pretending that this widget is the best widget ever made, when it's actually cheep Chinese knockoff, isn't for somebody who has spent a lifetime using his connection with reality.

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Seeking opportunity: Part time IT project manager?

Post by OldCannon »

Im actually very good with working with clients, negotiating contracts, closing deals, and generally providing the best service I can to my clients. Unfortunately, as you point out (in a way), it _getting_ clients that I suck at. I appreciate your honesty though!
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Job Board”