Computer guy looking for work!

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Computer guy looking for work!

Post by Oldgringo »

Good luck with your search. Please don't leave the forum.

dBex

Post by dBex »

Good luck with your search, I feel for ya on this one. I will run through some of my contacts and see if I can find anything for you.

dewayneward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dewayneward »

As a suggestion to get around the relocation thing. You have to remember that recruiters, hiring managers, etc. (at least the ones I have experience with) are clueless. If your resume has the hot words that get picked up in their matches, they will call you...IF THEY SEE A LOCAL NUMBER. Those are the facts. What I would recommend is to get a VOIP number (with their local area code and prefix and use your wife's/girlfriend's, whatever's address on the resume and for a contact.

I use teleblend, but there are a number of voip providers out there. For $15-$17 a month (if you have high speed internet), you can get a number anywhere in the US and for $4 a month more you can get additional numbers. I use to do that to make calls from the inlaws local for them when they would call me. Now, I just let it ring a few times, get caller ID'd and then I call them back.

When the recuiter calls, no one will know that you are a few states away UNTIL they ask you to come in for a face-to-face. Even then, if everything sounds real promising, you could high tail it out of Texas to Atlanta on short notice.

Good luck in your job search. The only other advice I could offer would be to make your resume ACTIONABLE. Have the bullet points say things like "implemented x and saved the company $1 million"...that kind of stuff.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

dewayneward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dewayneward »

Personally, I'd take out the "objective" section on your resume. Maybe replace that with a summary of qualifications with appropriate certifications. If you are looking for something in Atlanta, you want to make it look like (at first glance) that you are in Atlanta. You home address, phone numbers, etc. should all be Atlanta.

I'd believe the recruiters about as far as I could throw them. Treat them nice/professionally and realize its all a game for them and hopefully something works out, but dont trust them or think that they can do anything for you. I'll stop now before I get thrown off the board.....

If you're serious about getting to Atlanta, maybe look at a temp job on a help desk to get your foot in the door in Atlanta and then jumping to something else?
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Good luck. Stay positive
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Russell wrote:Just wanted to give an update that I got a job at HostGator in Houston! Also just signed a lease at some apartments in the Jersey Village area. Gorgeous apartments and grounds! Quite a step up from my previous living arrangements in Huntsville.

Nice thing is, I know that there is quite a few other board members here that live in the Houston area, so if anyone wants to get together to go shootin' in the future, let me know!
Congrats and thanks for the update. BTW I host my sites at HostGator :cheers2:
NRA Life Member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

geekwagun wrote: Congrats and thanks for the update. BTW I host my sites at HostGator :cheers2:
Where's the love for Rackspace? C'mon now! "rlol"

ETA: Congrats Russell!
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Carrots

Post by Carrots »

From one current job-seeker to a now Ex job-seeker CONGRATULATIONS :cheers2:

Return to “Job Board”