Need help for a friend

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Need help for a friend

Post by baldeagle »

I have a friend who's been in IT for almost 20 years and is now out of work. He had a great job in the construction industry until things went south. He worked for an architectural firm for 17 years and did everything; firewalls, routers, network, servers, email systems, directory systems, desktop support, hardware repair, you name it. He's a great worker and highly dependable, and he learns new technologies quickly. I watched him learn Linux with my help in a matter of months. He knows both Active Directory and Netware and can do Exchange mail, Lotus Notes or standard Unix mail.

If you know of anyone who is looking for a excellent generalist, he is your man. If you know someone who needs help in the networking area, he's an expert at that. If you have any leads at all, PM me. I'll pass them on to him, and he will contact the company immediately. We need to get this guy a job so he can afford to go to IDPA with me. :mrgreen:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need help for a friend

Post by gmckinl »

baldeagle wrote:I have a friend who's been in IT for almost 20 years and is now out of work.
Have him take a look at this networking group. http://www.southlakefocusgroup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will be able to help him with contacts in his target firms. I am a member and attend probably 3 out of 4 weeks. They (or I) can put him in contact with a speciality IT networking group as well. PM me for more info if you wish.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Griffen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Griffen »

gmckinl wrote:
baldeagle wrote:I have a friend who's been in IT for almost 20 years and is now out of work.
Have him take a look at this networking group. http://www.southlakefocusgroup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will be able to help him with contacts in his target firms. I am a member and attend probably 3 out of 4 weeks. They (or I) can put him in contact with a speciality IT networking group as well. PM me for more info if you wish.
I agree. I think the Southlake group is one of the best, if not THE best group in the state. It is well structured and productive if you put the time and effort into working your network. If he attends his first meeting, they will walk him through the whole program and learn how to work it.
Lifetime NRA Member
Member Texas Firearms Coalition

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. -John Adams

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Thanks, guys. I PM'd him with the info. (I got him to join the forum recently.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

baldeagle,

Your friend will need business cards for the second and subsequent meetings at Southlake. VistaPrint.com is where most people get theirs. They do discuss this in orientation, but thought I would mention it just in case he wants to get a headstart.

Since you said he is on the forum here, I'm open to a PM and/or email dialog if there is anything I can do to help.

I am planning on going this week to both the Southlake meeting and the speciality meeting for Engineering and IT Professionals. YMMV as I am "planning" on going, but that's still just a plan till it happens ;-)

The CareerDFW (Career Search Network) specialty meeting is Tuesday morning at 0900 at:
Cornerstone Bible Church, 545 S Nolen Dr., Southlake, TX. The IT group meets in one room, the Engineering group meets in another (I'm with the Engineers). This is a much smaller group than at the Thursday session (perhaps 50 people vice 400).

Best of luck in the job search :tiphat:
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Thanks, gmckini. His handle for the forum is GTown40, if you want to PM him directly.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 92f-fan »

Need a location to start ...

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

92f-fan wrote:Need a location to start ...
You mean where does he live? Garland. But I'm sure he'll drive at least anywhere in the Dallas area or east as far as Royse City, maybe even Greenville.

GTown40

Post by GTown40 »

Hello to all. I am the friend in question - thanks for the suggestions - I have heard good things about the Southlake group for quite a while, but have resisted going there mostly because it is so far from home - I am in Garland - NE Garland, and a drive over there in rush hour traffic is a chore, but I have been unemployed for so long, and wishful thinking is not working, so I guess I will have to broaden my horizons some. Unless something comes up, I will plan on going out there this Thursday - thanks.

GTown40

Post by GTown40 »

My thanks go out to everyone here who helped out with job search advice - especially to Baldeagle, gmckinl, wally775 and PawPaw - I did attend the Southlake Focus Group and found them to be an extremely professional group of folks - I am already getting some helpful feedback from a gentleman I met there. I also attended the Transition Group that meets at the Woodcreek Church on Renner Road in Plano today - the is a much smaller group, but there is much more conversation, give and take, and discussion of dissenting views. It also is a group that I will continue to attend and contribute to.

Return to “Job Board”