Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Bad Bill: HB736 - Too much power to county government

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Representative Quintanilla, an A-Rated Democrat from El Paso, introduced HB736. It feel pretty certain it was a bill from a constituent, not something Rep. Quintanilla came up with. t grants tremendous power to county commissioners courts throughout Texas. I don't like one single word in the bill, but the part that impacts gun owners and shooting the most is the ability for counties to stop all shooting activities as a noise nuisance.

Please don't start making calls or sending faxes -- yet. We're working on this problem now and hopefully it will be taken care of without public input. However, if it isn't, then you can bet I'll be letting everyone know when to hit the phones and faxes.

Thanks,
Chas.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bad Bill: HB736 - Too much power to county government

Post by Purplehood »

It sounds like a HOA fantasy-come-true to me.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Fourman

Post by Fourman »

Wow with my range issues and my crazy lady neighbor.....she would love this power....

Brian
" What my name is not enough?"

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

Chas,
If there is going to be a big mail flood over this I can muster a fairly large group of RC modelers, just say when. I fly giant scale airplanes with 50cc+ motors, this bill would get many flying fields across the state shut down. This has been a growing problem across the nation.

I also think this would be a death blow to many general aviation airports.

Jason
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

It's time to let your representative and Rep. Quintanilla know this bill is terrible, that it has the potential to shut down numerous outdoor activities and that you don't even want this bill to have a hearing in committee. It is so bad it cannot be fixed.

It isn't just shooting activities that are at risk. Just as examples of activities effected:

Flying RC aircraft
Races (cars, motorcycles, boats)
Social gatherings with music
Political gatherings with PA systems or bullhorns
Shooting ranges
Private property shooting and hunting

There are other problems with the bill as well, such as the extended criminal authority that duplicates and potentially conflicts with state law.

This is a horrible bill!

Please contact your representative and Rep. Quintanilla. It would be better if you didn't identify TexasCHLforum.com as the trigger for your contact, as that may make it appear that opposition is limited to the people that frequent this forum. Other people in other industries and recreational groups are going to do the same. We need everyone in Austin to know this is something they don't want to touch, both to kill it this session and to strongly discourage anyone from filing it in any future session.

Rep. Quintanilla's contact information is set out below. Please phone and/or fax; emails are too easy to ignore. Please get involved folks; don't just assume that enough other people will respond.

Thanks,
Chas.

Chente Quintanilla
District: 75
Capitol Office: EXT E1.218
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0613
District Address: 120 North Horizon, Suite 112A
El Paso, TX 79927
District Phone: (915) 859-3111

Website: http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/di ... anilla.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

You got it! Emails go out tomorrow.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Charles, any update on this bill?

Ryan

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AggieMM wrote:Charles, any update on this bill?

Ryan
It has been referred to committee, but no hearing has yet been scheduled. People will be interested that Rep. Quintanilla has refused to exempt shooting ranges from the bill. That wouldn't get us of the "oppose the bill" status, but it's most interesting that the Representative is taking this position.

Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

And we thought there would be NO bad bills this session???

Now it ges exciting!! Woo Hoo!!!

HOA's like Insurance companies in my opinion are inhierently evil... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

micdustim

Post by micdustim »

AggieMM wrote:
Charles, any update on this bill?

Ryan
It has been referred to committee, but no hearing has yet been scheduled. People will be interested that Rep. Quintanilla has refused to exempt shooting ranges from the bill. That wouldn't get us of the "oppose the bill" status, but it's most interesting that the Representative is taking this position.

Chas.
I am curious as to why this doesn't "get us to oppose the bill status"? Also, do you have any idea why he is refusing to place the shooting range exemption in it? Do you think that someone in his district has a problem with a gun range or is he hopping to get this bill killed? That way he sould say that he tried to get the measure passed without having to worry about it actually passing.

As I said I am just curious and NOT trying to be disrespectful at all.
Thanks for all of your efforts.
Dusty

CainA

Post by CainA »

Here's my short and sweet fax:

Title was HB736 and it was to Rep. Q

This is a horrible bill, please do not sponsor it. It give's too much authority to the counties; they do not need any more authority as it is. This will affect a lot of hobbyist (not to be confused with lobbyist); R/C airplane flyers, shooting sports of all types, outdoor music concerts, drag racing, anything that anyone considers "loud", the list goes on and on.

-Cain

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

I made phone calls, sent emails and sent faxes to every 1/4 mile racetrack in Texas that I could find information on. Many of them were very thankful for the informational tip about this bill and it's possible impact on their business. A bit of pressure from tax-paying business owners will generate some interest in killing this piece of garbage legislation.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jlangton wrote:I made phone calls, sent emails and sent faxes to every 1/4 mile racetrack in Texas that I could find information on. Many of them were very thankful for the informational tip about this bill and it's possible impact on their business. A bit of pressure from tax-paying business owners will generate some interest in killing this piece of garbage legislation.
JL
Very smart!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”