SB1742, HB3766 - TSRA support but bad for shooters?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
artx
Posts in topic: 2

SB1742, HB3766 - TSRA support but bad for shooters?

Post by artx »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... a237b.html

Saw this article after a thread on ar15.com - these bills don't look good. If your land over 50 acres is annexed, current law says you may not discharge a firearm closer than 150 feet to a structure, but protects your right to continue shooting. These bills would change the distance to 1000 feet in some cases and 1500 feet in others. That would mean you need a really large tract of land, as someone could build on the edge of their joining property. I could maybe understand if 150 feet was too close...but 10 times the amount?

I see Chas has the bill as neutral on the 2009 bill list.

I'm a TSRA member and until this point have always supported their actions, so please don't turn this into an anti-TSRA fest. If I don't like something in an organization I'm a member of, I'll attempt to change it from the inside.

Comments?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: SB1742, HB3766 - TSRA support but bad for shooters?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It was going to be 1.5 miles. Unfortunately, a lot of folks apparently didn't use good judgment with the 50 yd. buffer zone.

Chas.

Topic author
artx

Post by artx »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It was going to be 1.5 miles. Unfortunately, a lot of folks apparently didn't use good judgment with the 50 yd. buffer zone.

Chas.
Wow. Was this one of those bills that would happen no matter what we do, and we have calmed things down a bit?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

artx wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:It was going to be 1.5 miles. Unfortunately, a lot of folks apparently didn't use good judgment with the 50 yd. buffer zone.

Chas.
Wow. Was this one of those bills that would happen no matter what we do, and we have calmed things down a bit?
In a lot of ways, it's like the so-called "safe storage law." We didn't like it, but there was no way to kill it, so we had to add "safeguards." This bill is the result of some folks who decided to push the envelope, walk right up to the 150' buffer line and shoot not caring what was next to them. It's legal, but foolish, and now a lot of responsible shooters are going to pay the price for the acts of a few.

I think it's clear from my post, but I want to make sure no one thinks I'm talking about the range/neighbor problem one of our members has experienced. It has nothing to do with him.

Chas.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

So take the comments from one of the posters and just reverse it; no building within the buffer distance of a good hunting spot.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”