Urgent Action Items: Parking lots & campus-carry

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Douva
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Urgent Action Items: Parking lots & campus-carry

Post by Douva »

XDJoe wrote:I have emailed and written letters sent to both Senator Seliger and Representative Smithee concerning these bills. No reply from either (although I'm not really expecting one). Senator Seliger has signed on to the campus bill but not the parking lot and Rep. Smithee has not signed on to either. If there is anyone else on these boards from the panhandle let these guys know you support these measures. A large majority in this area of Texas is very pro gun, so let Seliger and Smithee know your position.
Representative Smithee signed on to the campus carry bill today.

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Luggo1 »

Robert Duncan's office has basically replied to me that they are "weighing all the arguments". However a local talk show host yesterday stated that Duncan was opposing campus carry. His staffer had agreed to let me know when a decision was made and I have heard nothing, so I don't know if the radio guy is correct or not. Take it FWIW.

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Luggo1 »

Robert Duncan is opposing campus carry per his Lubbock office this afternoon (Tues). No reason given. The usual blah blah blah I support the second amendment but don't think a law that allows "anyone" (yes "anyone") to carry a handgun on campus is a good idea. And yes, my inquiry to the staffer as to whether he realizes that the bill doesn't allow "anyone" to carry a gun on campus was answered in the affirmative. She was reading from a prepared statement and read the word "anyone" so I have some question as to whether the senator knows what he is against.

If he is your senator...

806-762-1122
1500 Broadway
Suite 902
Lubbock, Texas 79401

I would guess this bodes ill for parking lots also.

XDJoe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by XDJoe »

Douva wrote:
XDJoe wrote:I have emailed and written letters sent to both Senator Seliger and Representative Smithee concerning these bills. No reply from either (although I'm not really expecting one). Senator Seliger has signed on to the campus bill but not the parking lot and Rep. Smithee has not signed on to either. If there is anyone else on these boards from the panhandle let these guys know you support these measures. A large majority in this area of Texas is very pro gun, so let Seliger and Smithee know your position.
Representative Smithee signed on to the campus carry bill today.
Great!! Now we need to get them both on board with the employer parking lot. I'll stay after them both via email and calls.

Douva

Post by Douva »

Luggo1 wrote:Robert Duncan is opposing campus carry per his Lubbock office this afternoon (Tues). No reason given. The usual blah blah blah I support the second amendment but don't think a law that allows "anyone" (yes "anyone") to carry a handgun on campus is a good idea. And yes, my inquiry to the staffer as to whether he realizes that the bill doesn't allow "anyone" to carry a gun on campus was answered in the affirmative. She was reading from a prepared statement and read the word "anyone" so I have some question as to whether the senator knows what he is against.

If he is your senator...

806-762-1122
1500 Broadway
Suite 902
Lubbock, Texas 79401

I would guess this bodes ill for parking lots also.
I don't know if it will make any difference, but Senator Duncan and the other members of the State Affairs committee have all been sent hard copies of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition" (hard copy / PDF copy).

CLICK HERE to find out whether or not your State Senator and State Representative have received copies of the handbook.
Last edited by Douva on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PLEASE do not contact Senator Duncan about campus-carry!

Chas.

phoneguy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by phoneguy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:PLEASE do not contact Senator Duncan about campus-carry!

Chas.
Charles, I understand there may be some backroom politicking involved here, but could you please expand on why constituants sould not be writing this Senator about his position?

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

That reminds me...whenever I contact my Senator or Representative I never mention any affiliation. I just mention my stand on whatever Bill I am referencing. I presume that is what we should always be doing?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

Rep. Naishtat sent me this e-mail through his staffer after I sent him a copy of the TXSCCC handbook:
March 18, 2009

Dear Mr. Shi:

Thank you for writing to me and expressing your support for legislation that would allow concealed handgun license holders to carry firearms on university campuses. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write and providing me with a copy of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook.

House Bill 1893, authored by Rep. Joe Driver, and SB 1164, authored by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, would allow a license holder to carry a concealed handgun on university premises, or on any grounds or building in which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted. While you articulated valid points and the arguments presented in the handbook are strong, I am still not convinced that I should support these bills.

As you probably know, the Texas Penal Code, Section 46.03, stipulates that a person may not carry a firearm on the grounds of any educational institution. Given the history in the Texas House of bills concerning firearms and educational institutions, I do not think that legislation allowing persons with concealed handgun permits to carry firearms on university campuses would be successful. (what the heck does this even mean??)

If you would like to follow the progress of bills during the session, you may register for the Texas Legislature Online's "My TLO" feature at http://www.legis.state.tx.us/MnuMyTLO.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This feature allows you to track the progress of bills and receive email alerts as the status of a bill changes.

Thank you, again, for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns or recommendations on this or any other issue

Sincerely,

Elliott Naishtat

State Representative

Douva

Post by Douva »

Codename46 wrote:Rep. Naishtat sent me this e-mail through his staffer after I sent him a copy of the TXSCCC handbook:
March 18, 2009

Dear Mr. Shi:

Thank you for writing to me and expressing your support for legislation that would allow concealed handgun license holders to carry firearms on university campuses. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write and providing me with a copy of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook.

House Bill 1893, authored by Rep. Joe Driver, and SB 1164, authored by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, would allow a license holder to carry a concealed handgun on university premises, or on any grounds or building in which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted. While you articulated valid points and the arguments presented in the handbook are strong, I am still not convinced that I should support these bills.

As you probably know, the Texas Penal Code, Section 46.03, stipulates that a person may not carry a firearm on the grounds of any educational institution. Given the history in the Texas House of bills concerning firearms and educational institutions, I do not think that legislation allowing persons with concealed handgun permits to carry firearms on university campuses would be successful. (what the heck does this even mean??)

If you would like to follow the progress of bills during the session, you may register for the Texas Legislature Online's "My TLO" feature at http://www.legis.state.tx.us/MnuMyTLO.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This feature allows you to track the progress of bills and receive email alerts as the status of a bill changes.

Thank you, again, for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns or recommendations on this or any other issue

Sincerely,

Elliott Naishtat

State Representative
Given Naishtat's voting record on gun rights bills and the fact that his district encompasses UT, I'm not optimistic about getting him to support this bill; however, I do respect the guy for always providing thorough, personal responses to our inquiries. I don't know if he just has a topnotch staff or if he's really a very hands-on legislator or both, but last fall he sent me a lengthy letter (saying roughly the same thing but in greater detail) that definitely puts the responses I've received from other legislators to shame.

Did you include a copy of SCCC's rebuttal to UT Student Government resolution AR 7 with the handbook? Since UT is in his district, it's definitely important that he see that.

Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

Douva wrote:
Codename46 wrote:Rep. Naishtat sent me this e-mail through his staffer after I sent him a copy of the TXSCCC handbook:
March 18, 2009

Dear Mr. Shi:

Sincerely,

Elliott Naishtat

State Representative
Given Naishtat's voting record on gun rights bills and the fact that his district encompasses UT, I'm not optimistic about getting him to support this bill; however, I do respect the guy for always providing thorough, personal responses to our inquiries. I don't know if he just has a topnotch staff or if he's really a very hands-on legislator or both, but last fall he sent me a lengthy letter (saying roughly the same thing but in greater detail) that definitely puts the responses I've received from other legislators to shame.

Did you include a copy of SCCC's rebuttal to UT Student Government resolution AR 7 with the handbook? Since UT is in his district, it's definitely important that he see that.
Crap. I completely forgot about that. Maybe I should reply to the email with an attachment of it?

Douva

Post by Douva »

Codename46 wrote:
Douva wrote:
March 18, 2009

Dear Mr. Shi:

Sincerely,

Elliott Naishtat

State Representative

Crap. I completely forgot about that. Maybe I should reply to the email with an attachment of it?
I suggest sending him a letter thanking him for taking the time to look at the handbook and send you a response. Mention that, because his district encompasses the University of Texas, you feel that he should see SCCC's rebuttal to UT Student Government resolution AR 7. Include a copy of the rebuttal. The latest version of the rebuttal (it was recently updated) can be downloaded here: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/setpa/sccc ... BUTTAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

phoneguy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:PLEASE do not contact Senator Duncan about campus-carry!

Chas.
Charles, I understand there may be some backroom politicking involved here, but could you please expand on why constituants sould not be writing this Senator about his position?

I'd also like to know...if that is possible. :headscratch

I had already contacted him. :oops:

JoshL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JoshL »

troglodyte wrote:
phoneguy wrote:

Chas.

I'd also like to know...if that is possible. :headscratch

I had already contacted him. :oops:
+1
I had already e-mailed him as well.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you are in the Senator's district, and/or if you heard his position from a radio broadcast or from his office, then there's nothing to worry about.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”