Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by TexasComputerDude »

that makes it so much simpler, I will be calling these people all day tomorrow. I'll prob. call them from my shop, then go to our store, and then get everyone in my family to call.

Its dead week but I aint studyin at all so I got tons of free time on Wednesday and Friday.

what I don't get is we appear to have a majority there.
Glock 30 - main ccw

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 5

Post by KD5NRH »

Faxes sent to Austin offices.

Hopefully something will hapen.

ELB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ELB »

This morning so far I have called Senator Duncan's office (head of Senate State Affairs Comm.), Rep Kuempel's office (he's my rep), and Rep McCall's office. Got an unexpected response at McCall's office.

I expressed my wish to see the Campus Carry bill debated and voted on the floor, and that I had read it was "stalled in Calender Committee," and that others indicated it was pretty much up to McCall as to whether it get out or not (this is true -- when I made my first round of calls a few days ago, at least one of the staffers of a representative on the committee said it was up to the chairman, as to what would even get voted on by the committee. A little buck passing, I think...).

McCall's staffer also insisted that "all representatives get to vote on this." Suspecting that there is a parliamentary procedure somewhere that renders this statement true, but meaningless, I emphasized that it needed to go to the floor to be debated and passed into law. Now here is what was unexpected --- she said that there is a different staff for the Calender's committee, and that I needed to give my message to THEM. (More buck passing -- McCall's office didn't mention this last time I called -- but maybe more effective if the Calender's staff is currently "closer to the throne...")

The Calender's Committee staff number is 512-463-0758. I got a voicemail and left a message. (Called at about 0850 Thursday morning).

Onward...
USAF 1982-2005

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Calenders does have a different staff than his regular ones. The Calenders Committee must vote to get the bill set for a hearing on the floor. I don't believe Rep. McCall is stalling this, or would be able to individually keep this from going to the floor. The thing to do is call the committee members, especially if you are a constituent of one of them, and let them know you would appreciate their support and their vote to set it for the floor. I think the more courteous calls that can be made showing support the better the chances are the members will not try to oppose it going to the floor.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The "problem" Member of the Calendars Committee is Houston's Garnet Coleman. He's is an F-rated Democrat who has "tagged" the bill and this does not surprise me at all. I don't think it will do a bit of good, but it also won't hurt to light up his phones and fax machines noting that it is wrong to prevent a floor debate on a bill with 75 authors. Please be polite; be nice!! If you say something insulting, he may be even more entrenched.

It's also time to start calling Senator Duncan and tell him that Garnet Coleman has "tagged" the House campus-carry bill, so we need him to allow a vote on the Senate version (SB1164) or this very important issue will not even be heard. Remind him that the Texas Republican Platform contains a plank to support campus-carry!

Chas.

Rep. Garnet Coleman (512) 463-0524

Senator/Chairman Duncan (512) 463-0128

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The "problem" Member of the Calendars Committee is Houston's Garnet Coleman. He's is an F-rated Democrat who has "tagged" the bill and this does not surprise me at all. I don't think it will do a bit of good, but it also won't hurt to light up his phones and fax machines noting that it is wrong to prevent a floor debate on a bill with 75 authors. Please be polite; be nice!! If you say something insulting, he may be even more entrenched.

It's also time to start calling Senator Duncan and tell him that Garnet Coleman has "tagged" the House campus-carry bill, so we need him to allow a vote on the Senate version (SB1164) or this very important issue will not even be heard. Remind him that the Texas Republican Platform contains a plank to support campus-carry!

Chas.

Just called both of them.Very polite aides answering the phones,and they both stated that they've had many calls in support of both of these bills.
Also called my Rep (McReynolds) to see if we could apply a bit of internal pressure to Mr. Coleman.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

RLC603

Post by RLC603 »

What is the meaning of "tagged"? And, how can one Rep stop the vote in Calendars not to mention the House itself with so many in both bodies supporting the measure?

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

I have called all of them.

Now I am hoping that after Saturday's election, my voice will have more weight. I'll call them all again on Sunday with a different title if (when) I win. Oh yeah, go VOTE on Saturday!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Faxed.

- Jim

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Remind him that the Texas Republican Platform contains a plank to support campus-carry!
Charles, most of the time I can follow what you are saying, but this time I am stumped. Why do we want to remind an F- rated democrat that a particular bill is part of the opposition platform?
Last edited by Purplehood on Wed May 06, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 8

Post by tfrazier »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:...It's also time to start calling Senator Duncan and tell him that Garnet Coleman has "tagged" the House campus-carry bill, so we need him to allow a vote on the Senate version (SB1164) or this very important issue will not even be heard. Remind him that the Texas Republican Platform contains a plank to support campus-carry!

Chas.

He said call Duncan (bolding of Senator Duncan added by me)..Pay attention!!! ;-) :tiphat:
...and the smart-alek "Pay attention!!!" comes from my Linux experience. I can see how you could have mis-read it.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Doh, I got caught-out! Thanks for the clarification.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

will381796
Posts in topic: 1

Post by will381796 »

I called all of the members of the Calendars committee. Chavez and McReynolds staff both took down my name and number. Cook and Kuempel both asked where I was calling from. Kolkhort's staffer mentioned that she is a coauthor of the bill and is pushing hard to get this bill moved out of committee. The others simply said "thanks, I'll pass this along." Not sure how to take that.

I'll be calling everyone that did not take down my name again.
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 8

Post by tfrazier »

If that bill doesn't make it out of committee I plan to write a nice little editorial for AC after this cycle about Garnet Coleman's use of this little starvation tactic...along with a few others' shenanigans I'm hearing about and checking for veracity.

Republicans have used this sort of dirty trick a little at times, too (considerably less than the democrats), but it's exactly the sort of thing that needs to come to a screeching halt in our political system.

It's no different that the dirty tactics they used at the federal level to prevent most of Bush's Supreme Court nominees from ever getting voted on.

sss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sss »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Rep. Garnet Coleman (512) 463-0524

I called both and let them know that I'm a student and voter in the Houston area who supports the respective bills. Charles: Any idea how we're doing so far? Does campus carry still have a chance, or are we out of luck?
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”