Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

artx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by artx »

What happens to bills they don't get to tonight? Do they pend for tomorrow? If so, are they first up on the list or go in some other sort of prioritization queue?

ELB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ELB »

Duncan just called on Wentworth with the campus carry bill...
USAF 1982-2005

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 8

Post by hheremtp »

artx wrote:What happens to bills they don't get to tonight? Do they pend for tomorrow? If so, are they first up on the list or go in some other sort of prioritization queue?
Yes, it will be rescheduled for tommorow.
Steve

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 8

Post by hheremtp »

you would think that if you had 16+ ammendments to a bill they would just pull the thing and re-write it to include those ammendments.
Steve

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 19

Post by TexasComputerDude »

just self-modding, snide comments don't help lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

ELB

Post by ELB »

Committee amendment #1 (Van Der Putte) just failed by 4 ayes to 5 noes.

This would have allowed Regents to ban CHL carry on campuses, like private institutions are allowed to do in the bill as it currently written.

elb

(some corrections to tidy up typos I made while typing fast...)
Last edited by ELB on Mon May 11, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Committee Amendment #2 is to allow Regents to regulate storage of handguns (all guns?) in residence halls? Ellis just asked Wentworth if this was acceptable to him, Wentworth said he preferred "to leave it to committee."

3 ayes, 6 noes, amendment fails.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Committee Amendment #3 moves implementation date to 1 Sep 2010 to give universities time to "implement."

7 ayes, no noes. Amendment is adopted. This is a terrible idea, IMO!

elb
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

SB 1164 is voted out favorably with Amendment #3 incorporated or whatever the right term is. Sen Duncan voted no.

Interestingly Sen Fraser appears to have asked to have his vote on Amendment #3 changed, knowing it does not affect the outcome. The chair/committee apparently agreed.

elb
Last edited by ELB on Mon May 11, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The final vote was a 6 - 3 favorable vote. Voting against it were: Sen. Duncan, Senator Ellis, Senator Van de Putte.

Chas.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Aggie_engr »

Sep. 2010??? What do they need time to implement for? Only thing I could see needing time for is figuring out how they are going to supply storage for firearms in dormitories. Everyone else should just be able to start carrying. Oh well, as long as it got voted favorably. So what's next for the bill?

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

How exactly is the storage thing going to work? Everyone is going to know you carry a gun when they see you walking into the "gun storage room" to store your handgun everyday.

Anyone hear any ideas yet on how it will go? Just a room full of "lockers" (gun vaults) to store your gun? :bigear:

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

Aggie_engr wrote:How exactly is the storage thing going to work? Everyone is going to know you carry a gun when they see you walking into the "gun storage room" to store your handgun everyday.

Anyone hear any ideas yet on how it will go? Just a room full of "lockers" (gun vaults) to store your gun? :bigear:
Sounds to me like just another way to discourage people from carrying. If you have a CHL, I would hope you're responsible enough to figure out a way to secure it if others have access to the room. :boxing
TANSTAAFL

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

I live off campus so it doesn't affect me directly... I'm just concerned about other chl'rs giving up their identity. Everyone on campus is going to know where the "gun room" is and watch who goes in and out. Maybe the interest in keeping up with who does store their gun will die off after time goes by...

Living in the dorm where you might not know your roomate, what friends they will bring over and what time of the day, I sure wouldn't want to live in the same room with a person I don't know and try to hide a gun from them or have them get all weirded out when they figure out I do carry. I kind of see it as a convenience. That way I don't have to spend money that I don't have on a safe/vault to store my gun in. Most people who are old enough to get a license move off campus by that time anyway, but I know that some students are required to live in the dorms.

You wouldn't be comfortable with a combination locker/vault novaman? What would provide enough security in your opinion? I'm curious... :coolgleamA:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Folks, I don't like the Duncan Amendment and we managed to defeat his other amendment that would have allowed schools to ban guns in all residential housing, not just dorms. We have a long way to go to get this thing passed and we could lose, if we allow ourselves to dwell on the fact that the bill isn't exactly what we would like to see. This was a major victory; let's enjoy it while we can, because we have to get back to work very soon.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”