What would a Special Session mean to our bills?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Coogan
Posts in topic: 1

What would a Special Session mean to our bills?

Post by Coogan »

There are some rumors in the news that Rick Perry may call a special session in June. See the link below for more details (I don´t know anything about the source).

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/ ... -insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If our bills don´t get debated during the regular session, would a special session bring us another chance, or are we out of luck until 2011?

Douva
Posts in topic: 4

Re: What would a Special Session mean to our bills?

Post by Douva »

Coogan wrote:There are some rumors in the news that Rick Perry may call a special session in June. See the link below for more details (I don´t know anything about the source).

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/ ... -insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If our bills don´t get debated during the regular session, would a special session bring us another chance, or are we out of luck until 2011?
There are different rules for special sessions. Check out the House Rules if you want more information. I've been hearing those rumors too. I may check into it later. I'd be interested to know if our bills could be reintroduced in a special session.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

They need a special session. There are still a couple of people in Texas who didn't have a resolution passed honoring their birthday.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

All of the currently introduced bills die at the end of this session. If there is a special session, it can only be called for some specific purpose to be discussed. If anyone wants to introduce a bill other than for that purpose, they must get the call to session modified to include their topic.

There is no reason our bills could not be re-introduced during a special session, but it would probably cost us quite a bit of political capital. I don't see them as being justification enough for a session, but depending on how things go, I could see where we might get one called for something else modified to include some of our topics. I just am not sure if it would be worth the political capital or if, tactically, we would be better off waiting until the next regular session.
Steve Rothstein

Douva

Post by Douva »

srothstein wrote:All of the currently introduced bills die at the end of this session. If there is a special session, it can only be called for some specific purpose to be discussed. If anyone wants to introduce a bill other than for that purpose, they must get the call to session modified to include their topic.

There is no reason our bills could not be re-introduced during a special session, but it would probably cost us quite a bit of political capital. I don't see them as being justification enough for a session, but depending on how things go, I could see where we might get one called for something else modified to include some of our topics. I just am not sure if it would be worth the political capital or if, tactically, we would be better off waiting until the next regular session.
Attached are the House rules on special sessions. It might not be the easiest thing to accomplish, but it doesn't seem to me that getting a few gun bills reintroduced in a special session would be entirely out of the question. But that's a bridge better crossed if and when it's reached.
Attachments
txhr-special_sessions.pdf
Texas House Rules on Special Sessions
(71.32 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

srothstein wrote:All of the currently introduced bills die at the end of this session. If there is a special session, it can only be called for some specific purpose to be discussed. If anyone wants to introduce a bill other than for that purpose, they must get the call to session modified to include their topic.

That special purpose they might be called on about is the Voter ID bill. Cant see campus carry or Parking lot bill rising to that level of importance with our politicians, even if they sympathatic to our cause. Only The governor can call a special session.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Douva

Post by Douva »

Liberty wrote:

That special purpose they might be called on about is the Voter ID bill. Cant see campus carry or Parking lot bill rising to that level of importance with our politicians, even if they sympathatic to our cause. Only The governor can call a special session.
I haven't heard any indication that they'd call a special session over the voter ID Bill. The only thing Governor Perry has suggested might merit a special session is the coastal wind insurance bill. With that said, the rules do grant some latitude in the applicability rule, and the Governor is allowed (and, it seems to me, encouraged) to cast a relatively wide net, in order to allow the legislature adequate leeway to pass bills they deem important. The Governor could, theoretically, declare the purpose of the special session as "to vote on the wind insurance bills and other bills not reached during the regular session." I'm not saying he'd do that; I'm just saying that if a special session became a strong possibility, due to the wind insurance bill being killed by chubbing, the Governor might come under pressure to allow other bills killed by chubbing to be reintroduced during that same special session.

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

I think he should call a special session for the Voter ID bill. Nothing else. Show the chubbies that they're only hurting themselves.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

"Our bills" won't be part of a special session. The two primary bills (parking lots & campus-carry) are far too controversial and pit friends against friends to the Governor's detriment. Plus, having a bill in a special session allows for a lot more focused opposition and this typically makes it easier to kill a bill than to pass it. As much as I don't want to have to wait until 2011, that's reality.

Chas.

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:"Our bills" won't be part of a special session. The two primary bills (parking lots & campus-carry) are far too controversial and pit friends against friends to the Governor's detriment. Plus, having a bill in a special session allows for a lot more focused opposition and this typically makes it easier to kill a bill than to pass it. As much as I don't want to have to wait until 2011, that's reality.

Chas.
Charles, while we didn't get what we all wanted accomplished this session (parking lot bill and campus carry), I thank you for your hard work and time spent on these issues!!!!!! :tiphat:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RedRaider wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:"Our bills" won't be part of a special session. The two primary bills (parking lots & campus-carry) are far too controversial and pit friends against friends to the Governor's detriment. Plus, having a bill in a special session allows for a lot more focused opposition and this typically makes it easier to kill a bill than to pass it. As much as I don't want to have to wait until 2011, that's reality.

Chas.
Charles, while we didn't get what we all wanted accomplished this session (parking lot bill and campus carry), I thank you for your hard work and time spent on these issues!!!!!! :tiphat:
+1 to you, Alice and the rest of the TSRA Legislative staff on their diligence on these issues. Had it not been for all of you guys, as well as the firearms supporters contacting their Legislators, we would have never gotten anywhere near the ground gained this session. :txflag:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Chas.
+1 to you, Alice and the rest of the TSRA Legislative staff on their diligence on these issues. Had it not been for all of you guys, as well as the firearms supporters contacting their Legislators, we would have never gotten anywhere near the ground gained this session. :txflag:
:iagree: I, also want to thank you for your long hours of hard work and your committment. I can't imagine your frustration, but your tenacity will ultimately triumph. :patriot: :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

Ditto to all the above! Thanks ! :iagree:
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks guys; Alice and I appreciate the kind words. I'll pass this along to her.

Parking lots and campus-carry are both dead and beyond resurrection. However, although I can't say what yet, we have something in the works that will be good, if we can pull it off. I'm sorry to be so cryptic, but I want you folks to know we're working for you until the last opportunity.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”