DC: Lauren Boebert gets her gun

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

DC: Lauren Boebert gets her gun

Post by philip964 »

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... ry-permit/

CO representative said she would carry her gun in DC as a campaign promise.

Just got her concealed carry permit in DC.

chasfm11

Re: DC: Lauren Boebert gets her gun

Post by chasfm11 »

Here is an interesting question. My Texas permit doesn't give me the right to carry on Federal property in Texas. It has been a thorn in my side that Corps of Engineers controlled property is off-limits to me because it is just Federally controlled, not Federally owned. Most (all?) of the buildings associated with the House of Representatives in D.C. are Federally owned. How does a City of D.C. permit buy her anything in those areas? It this just the Capitol Police looking the other way because they don't want the news coverage? I cannot wait until AOC comes out saying that Representative Boegert's gun is an existential threat to her. If Ted Cruz can threat AOC's life from another building, just think how terrified AOC will be with a pistol in the same chamber.

For the record, I believe that Congressional members carrying handguns has been a thing for a long time.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It is disturbing that elected officials get preferential treatment or privilege's, but this may also be a blessing lying in wait. Eventually one of those snowflake liberals will say that they are worried they may set her off. Then the point can be made or they can be asked if because of that are they consciously more polite around or when speaking to them thus proving that an armed society is a polite society.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

C-dub wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:36 am It is disturbing that elected officials get preferential treatment or privilege's, but this may also be a blessing lying in wait. Eventually one of those snowflake liberals will say that they are worried they may set her off. Then the point can be made or they can be asked if because of that are they consciously more polite around or when speaking to them thus proving that an armed society is a polite society.
To me, this brings up an interesting constitutional question. Namely, can the leadership of a Congressional chamber bar representatives (or Senators) of the opposition party from entering legislative chambers, and participating in debate or even voting on legislation, simply because those opposition members are exercising rights that are explicitly protected by the United States Constitution?

For example, could a future Republican speaker of the House bar entry to Democratic members who are currently refusing to renounce statements they may have made that the Speaker finds to be dangerous and potential incitements to violence? What about past votes those representatives may have made in favor of things that the Speaker believes to be unconstitutional (and therefore a violation of the representatives' oaths of office)?

To say the least, this is a VERY dangerous and very slippery slope we are on. Along with the idea of "impeaching" members of the opposition party with zero evidence or investigation and after they have left office, solely to take out future potential candidates.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

chasfm11 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:49 am Here is an interesting question. My Texas permit doesn't give me the right to carry on Federal property in Texas. It has been a thorn in my side that Corps of Engineers controlled property is off-limits to me because it is just Federally controlled, not Federally owned. Most (all?) of the buildings associated with the House of Representatives in D.C. are Federally owned. How does a City of D.C. permit buy her anything in those areas? It this just the Capitol Police looking the other way because they don't want the news coverage? I cannot wait until AOC comes out saying that Representative Boegert's gun is an existential threat to her. If Ted Cruz can threat AOC's life from another building, just think how terrified AOC will be with a pistol in the same chamber.

For the record, I believe that Congressional members carrying handguns has been a thing for a long time.
The DC permit is not what gives her the legal ability to carry in the Capitol complex. I got my DC carry license in 2018 (there's a thread on the forum about it). It since expired because they only last 2 years and due to COVID1984 I couldn't travel to renew it. She got her DC carry license to be able to carry in the District outside of the Capitol. She can only carry inside because she is a Member of Congress. They are exempted specifically in the Capitol from the law otherwise prohibiting carry in Federal buildings (18 USC 930). Outside the Congressional buildings, she must follow the DC permit rule. There are some strange ones: No more than 20 round total, 10 rd mags only, gun must be registered in DC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 am
chasfm11 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:49 am Here is an interesting question. My Texas permit doesn't give me the right to carry on Federal property in Texas. It has been a thorn in my side that Corps of Engineers controlled property is off-limits to me because it is just Federally controlled, not Federally owned. Most (all?) of the buildings associated with the House of Representatives in D.C. are Federally owned. How does a City of D.C. permit buy her anything in those areas? It this just the Capitol Police looking the other way because they don't want the news coverage? I cannot wait until AOC comes out saying that Representative Boegert's gun is an existential threat to her. If Ted Cruz can threat AOC's life from another building, just think how terrified AOC will be with a pistol in the same chamber.

The DC permit is not what gives her the legal ability to carry in the Capitol complex. I got my DC carry license in 2018 (there's a thread on the forum about it). It since expired because they only last 2 years and due to COVID1984 I couldn't travel to renew it. She got her DC carry license to be able to carry in the District outside of the Capitol. She can only carry inside because she is a Member of Congress. They are exempted specifically in the Capitol from the law otherwise prohibiting carry in Federal buildings (18 USC 930). Outside the Congressional buildings, she must follow the DC permit rule. There are some strange ones: No more than 20 round total, 10 rd mags only, gun must be registered in DC.
I wonder what Glock model she is carrying that only has a 10 round mag? Seems like it might be time for her to step up to a 1911 given that restriction.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 pm I wonder what Glock model she is carrying that only has a 10 round mag? Seems like it might be time for her to step up to a 1911 given that restriction.
When I registered my Beretta 92SF in DC, I found the old 10 rd mags that came with it (I bought it in 1997 during the Clinton AWB). There are lots of crippled mags available for states and territories with mag limits. I never got around to carrying the Beretta in the District, but If I had the one thing I needed to be careful of, was to only have 9 in the mag that was in the gun (I always have one in the chamber), along with my spare mag, to avoid breaking the 20 rd limit. And actually the 20 rd limit is really a two mag, or two cylinder limit, so 14 for 1911's or 12 rd for wheel guns. At least how it was explained by my DC instructor.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 pm I wonder what Glock model she is carrying that only has a 10 round mag? Seems like it might be time for her to step up to a 1911 given that restriction.
When I registered my Beretta 92SF in DC, I found the old 10 rd mags that came with it (I bought it in 1997 during the Clinton AWB). There are lots of crippled mags available for states and territories with mag limits. I never got around to carrying the Beretta in the District, but If I had the one thing I needed to be careful of, was to only have 9 in the mag that was in the gun (I always have one in the chamber), along with my spare mag, to avoid breaking the 20 rd limit. And actually the 20 rd limit is really a two mag, or two cylinder limit, so 14 for 1911's or 12 rd for wheel guns. At least how it was explained by my DC instructor.
Actually a full size 1911 in .45 ACP holds 8 in each standard mag. If your back-up mag is an extended 10 rounder, that would give you a total of 19 rounds of .45 ACP without running afoul of the round restrictions (I think).

From what you wrote, I take it that the DC license is gun specific?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 pmI wonder what Glock model she is carrying that only has a 10 round mag? Seems like it might be time for her to step up to a 1911 given that restriction.
A Glock 43 is one possibility. Is she carrying a full size or compact pistol?
Steve Rothstein

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm
Actually a full size 1911 in .45 ACP holds 8 in each standard mag. If your back-up mag is an extended 10 rounder, that would give you a total of 19 rounds of .45 ACP without running afoul of the round restrictions (I think).

From what you wrote, I take it that the DC license is gun specific?
The license itself isn't gun specific, however in order to carry a gun you must also register it in DC. You get one free registration with the license and then $13 for each additional. You get a card, similar to the CCL, for each gun registered and must carry it along with the permit for the gun you are carrying. You are limited to carrying one concealed carry gun at a time. The interesting thing is the registrations don't expire. So even though my CCL expired, I still have the Beretta and my Walther PPK/s registered.

Take a look at my thread on getting the DC CCL from 2018 if you're interested.

viewtopic.php?p=1206160#p1206160

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”