Gun Ownership vs Homicide rate - World

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chemist45
Posts in topic: 2

Gun Ownership vs Homicide rate - World

Post by Chemist45 »

03Lightningrocks asked me to post this as a thread for discussion.

Interesting negative correlation.
It also puts the lie to the claim "If we just got rid of the guns we wouldn't have any murders."

crazy2medic

Re: Gun Ownership vs Homicide rate - World

Post by crazy2medic »

It appears the Leftist Politicians are lying to us!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It’s interesting that the ONLY country on this chart that matches the leftist mantra is Japan, with both low gun ownership and low homicide rates.

It’s also the only country that has ever been nuked in anger.

Maybe suggest to your leftist friends that this chart seems to indicate that those countries with low gun ownership and high homicide rates should be nuked to cure them of their homicidal mania? :mrgreen:

It’s no more illogical a deductive insight than most of the leftist claptrap that passes for deep thinking.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Some thing else to ponder is the fact that young black males who make up less than 6.5% of the population commit more than 50% of our murders. Or murder rate is driven up by social problems not legal gun ownership. Addressing our social conditions will help our murder rate more than restricting firearms.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Why so many guns in Mexico. Guns are completely illegal in Mexico. Mexico has only one gun store and it is in the middle of an Army base.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am Some thing else to ponder is the fact that young black males who make up less than 6.5% of the population commit more than 50% of our murders. Or murder rate is driven up by social problems not legal gun ownership. Addressing our social conditions will help our murder rate more than restricting firearms.
Me - Chicago already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country
Them - it’s because guns come from other states!
Me - well those other states don't have shootings like Chicago.
Them - well those other states don't have the socio-economic issues like Chicago!
Me - well there you go!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 am It’s interesting that the ONLY country on this chart that matches the leftist mantra is Japan, with both low gun ownership and low homicide rates.

It’s also the only country that has ever been nuked in anger.

Maybe suggest to your leftist friends that this chart seems to indicate that those countries with low gun ownership and high homicide rates should be nuked to cure them of their homicidal mania? :mrgreen:

It’s no more illogical a deductive insight than most of the leftist claptrap that passes for deep thinking.
Look at Japans suicide rate! There committing Suicide is culturally accepted as an "Honorable" thing to do!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Chemist45 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 pm 03Lightningrocks asked me to post this as a thread for discussion.

It also puts the lie to the claim "If we just got rid of the guns we wouldn't have any murders."
what really concerns me is the last four countries...I have had to "visit" ( work in all four) no wonder my employer tripled our life insurance while in country

honduras especially, they have guards with sub machine guns guarding the john deere tractor places
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

extremist

Post by extremist »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am Addressing our social conditions will help our murder rate more than restricting firearms.
So, exactly how would you address that? 🤔

I'll wait....
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

powerboatr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:37 am
Chemist45 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 pm 03Lightningrocks asked me to post this as a thread for discussion.

what really concerns me is the last four countries...I have had to "visit" ( work in all four) no wonder my employer tripled our life insurance while in country

honduras especially, they have guards with sub machine guns guarding the john deere tractor places
Honduras would be great except for the government and gangs. I spent 2 weeks there every 6 months for 15 years doing medical missions. Treated several patients with nasty machete wounds. Two innocent people I knew were killed by gangs.

TomV

Post by TomV »

The two most common things I see is cherry picking the data that supports assertions and using different types of graphs that present the data in a more advantageous manner.

I saw a scatter chart the other day that did this and my first thought was cherry picking.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://insightcrime.org/news/analysis/ ... -round-up/

This shows 2020 murder figures at 37.6 for Honduras. ElSalvador is at 19.7.

One of the reasons besides climate change that Democrats use for why migration is occurring from El Salvador and Honduras to the US is crime, murder and gangs.

However the murder rate in St Louis is 87.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... eb289.html

The graph show Honduras and El Salvador at a little less than 60. But it is not current data.

Guns are freely available in St Louis.

So I suspect it is not guns that is the issue with murder.

It is something else. Single parent families? Lack of morality teaching in schools? Poverty? Or something else?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm Honduras would be great except for the government and gangs.
You could make the same argument for Chicago.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Moving a conversation here from the meme thread:
Excaliber wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:38 am
srothstein wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am
Excaliber wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:45 am Unless I'm reading it wrong, the chart appears to show the USA with about 112% per capita gun ownership.

That may take a little explaining.
Current estimates are that there are 400,000,000 guns in the US among the citizens and only 330,000,000 guns. I did not know it was up that high but Colion Noir cited that figure when talking about the Democratic push for gun control the other day.
That would make sense for number of guns compared to population,. That is probably what the chart creator meant. However the chart legend shows that the figure is supposed to be per capita percentage of gun ownership, which means what percent of the population owns guns, regardless of how many each individual may own. That ratio can't be greater than 100.
You are correct that the graph is incorrectly labelled. It cannot be a per capita and a percentage at the same time. I did not notice the percentage sign and just took it as a straight comparison of guns to the number of people in the population as a ratio. I think to get to the percentage he shows, it must be the ratio of guns to people and he used a number lower than the 400 million that Colion Noir cited.

As an aside, I have been watching some of Noir's youtube videos recently. He is much better with the media than I had expected, especially at catching them dodging questions and trying to get an answer. I am coming to believe that he must have been a pretty good trial attorney.
Steve Rothstein

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

Yes, this sheds some light on why people from these countries are desperate to get into the US.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”