Gun Ownership vs Homicide rate - World

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Chaparral
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Ownership vs Homicide rate - World

Post by Chaparral »

philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:38 am Why so many guns in Mexico. Guns are completely illegal in Mexico. Mexico has only one gun store and it is in the middle of an Army base.
Drugs and people come North; money and guns flow South.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

This chart is about as useless as teats on a boar hog! The Japanese jump off Mt Fuji among other methods not involving firearms because they can't own them.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

puma guy wrote
This chart is about as useless as teats on a boar hog! The Japanese jump off Mt Fuji among other methods not involving firearms because they can't own them.
I'm confused, puma guy - what does suicide have to do with it?
This chart doesn't deal with suicide - just homicide.
The suicide rate in Japan (with firearms or anything else) is not included in this data.
It is simply a comparison of firearms ownership and homicide.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Chemist45 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 pm puma guy wrote
I'm confused, puma guy - what does suicide have to do with it?
This chart doesn't deal with suicide - just homicide.
The suicide rate in Japan (with firearms or anything else) is not included in this data.
It is simply a comparison of firearms ownership and homicide.
Yep! Sorry. It seems I was, too. Long story, but short version here: The chart prompted me to look at several firearms death charts and after looking at many websites and charts I ended on one that was almost identical to yours in appearance that addressed non-homicidal firearms deaths. Japan was listed with the lowest almost zilch stats. In my haste to respond I crossed up yours with that one. I did a paper in college back in the '60s on weapons of choice for homicides and learned that it's the predominant weapons of any area that are primarily used. The only relevance to your post is that listing Japan's stats on firearms homicides as useless since you can't own a gun in Japan. I don't know if Japanese murderers push their victims off Mt Fuji, but for self elimination jumping off a height is second only to hanging.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

Japan's justice system is not like ours. In Japan, when a crime is committed, the cops go and find whomever they think did it and then interrogate that person until they confess. There is something like a 97% conviction rate in their courts, tied largely to this practice (Federal prosecutions here, which only go forward with overwhelming evidence are around 95%). If the Japanese police cannot find someone to badger into admitting guilt for a corpse, it is very often ruled a suicide.

The ratio of suicide to homicide in Japan greatly favors suicide, but the ratio is probably slightly biased in that direction by their crime investigation/prosecution procedures. My own opinion is that the population in Japan that is likely to do something as non-conformist as murder is highly likely to be involved with organized crime. An even less supported opinion is that while the influence of the "Yakuza" clans in Japan is not what it once was (some of that results from the blurred lines between mobsters and former mobsters (think Godfather 3), it is still sufficiently powerful to influence the classification of some deaths.

A really interesting example is Canada. Their murder rate before they had any gun control was about 1.5/100k in the 60s, rose to 3 in the late 70s, and then dropped to maybe half of that. The >50% drop sounds impressive, until you recognize that it went from "almost zero" to "almost zero, but still higher than it was".

I think that for all of the talk about systemic racism, the place where is really shows up is within the inner cities. This is ironically the topic that isn't discussed, but that hurts the most black folks. Big cities, often up North, shoved all of the black folks into specific areas designated to be ghettos, and were specifically aided by the Federal government in doing so. Maybe the only city where that didn't happen was Detroit, where Mitt Romney's dad specifically prevented it. Nonetheless, the results were predictable: a bunch of poor folks without education or opportunities wound up doing what they could to survive, which often involved making a bunch of horrible decisions. The people who made the worst decisions were rewarded the most (i.e. if you sling the most dope and/or murder the most people, you are the richest guy in the neighborhood), while cops tend to hassle folks for small stuff without solving the major crimes. The whole thing becomes a nasty cycle, where the one group that could restore order is hated (and not without reason), the group causing the immediate trouble is lionized, and most people are just stuck in the middle of it with a bunch of bad options. Nobody wants to be stuck in that, but if you were, how would you know what you were supposed to do to get out?

The problem persists because both major political sides benefit more from misstating the problem instead of acknowledging that the "enemy" has some valid points and that actual compromise is needed.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 am It’s interesting that the ONLY country on this chart that matches the leftist mantra is Japan, with both low gun ownership and low homicide rates.

It’s also the only country that has ever been nuked in anger.

Maybe suggest to your leftist friends that this chart seems to indicate that those countries with low gun ownership and high homicide rates should be nuked to cure them of their homicidal mania? :mrgreen:

It’s no more illogical a deductive insight than most of the leftist claptrap that passes for deep thinking.
They also hang those who commit multiple or heinous murders.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”