Senate Special Committee on Constitutional Issues (Constitutional Carry hearings)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Senate Special Committee on Constitutional Issues (Constitutional Carry hearings)

Post by Vol Texan »

jerry_r60 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm
Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm Been watching all morning/afternoon. There was one woman in a red shirt who got very upset at one point around 2:40pm.
Yes, I saw her. She was not calm at all, and she never got her point across.
The Red Shirts were Mothers Demand Action shirts. She didn't help their cause. There were a few on "our side" that I don't think help our cause either.
Yes, the singing testifier was supporting the bill, but she was a bit belligerent with her exit from the chamber.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Senate Special Committee on Constitutional Issues (Constitutional Carry hearings)

Post by jerry_r60 »

Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:14 pm
jerry_r60 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm
Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm Been watching all morning/afternoon. There was one woman in a red shirt who got very upset at one point around 2:40pm.
Yes, I saw her. She was not calm at all, and she never got her point across.
The Red Shirts were Mothers Demand Action shirts. She didn't help their cause. There were a few on "our side" that I don't think help our cause either.
Yes, the singing testifier was supporting the bill, but she was a bit belligerent with her exit from the chamber.
Yeah, there were a couple trying to argue with or talk over Senators as well. Treating testimony and questioning like an argument with your buddies or with Joe Blow on the street or using the time to protest doesn't come across as an effective strategy.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Yes, anyone may testify. You go to the capital, they have sign-in kiosks where you sign up to testify on a particular bill and then when that bill is under discussion by the committee, you are called to speak (usually) in order of sign up. However the committee members reserve the right to take some folks out of order if they have a particular witness that they want on the record. You are usually limited to a certain number of minutes (3-5) to make your point then the committee MAY ask questions which can extend your time to answer. When I did it for the House committee a few weeks ago, signed up about 0830 on Thursday morning, but due to other bills, and the number of witnesses, did not testify until approximately 0130 Friday morning---long day.

As has been stated earlier, emotional rants on either side are counter-productive. It is best to dress professionally, state your case using facts, not emotions, and not threatening the committee members.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Something else I've learned watching these. If you were to go to testify on a bill that is controversial, assume you will be there all day and potentially into the night.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:11 pm Yes, anyone may testify. You go to the capital, they have sign-in kiosks where you sign up to testify on a particular bill and then when that bill is under discussion by the committee, you are called to speak (usually) in order of sign up. However the committee members reserve the right to take some folks out of order if they have a particular witness that they want on the record. You are usually limited to a certain number of minutes (3-5) to make your point then the committee MAY ask questions which can extend your time to answer. When I did it for the House committee a few weeks ago, signed up about 0830 on Thursday morning, but due to other bills, and the number of witnesses, did not testify until approximately 0130 Friday morning---long day.

As has been stated earlier, emotional rants on either side are counter-productive. It is best to dress professionally, state your case using facts, not emotions, and not threatening the committee members.
Thanks. This is good info.

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Testimony is done. Let’s see what happens next.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Passes through committee

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:13 pm Passes through committee
So is it just a full senate vote needed at this point?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Overall time watching was probably 3 hours or so, what I gathered was 59% for, 39% against and 2% who didn’t know what they were there for.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Flightmare »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:33 pm Overall time watching was probably 3 hours or so, what I gathered was 59% for, 39% against and 2% who didn’t know what they were there for.
I think you may have accidentally watched the state of the union address last night. Simple mistake.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:33 pm Overall time watching was probably 3 hours or so, what I gathered was 59% for, 39% against and 2% who didn’t know what they were there for.
I think you may have accidentally watched the state of the union address last night. Simple mistake.
:clapping: :tiphat:

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:20 pm
That is specifically what I have told people NOT to do. Don't let your emotions get the better of you, and don't let your message get lost in your passion. Passion has it's place, but should always be tempered by reason. Unfortunately for this woman, she will be remembered for her outburst and not what she had to say. (note: I did not agree with what she had to say, only with her right to say it)
The now Lt. Gov Mark Robinson of NC is one of the best examples of how to use your emotion to convey your message. I remember watching his video before a local political board before I heard him live at the NRA Convention in Dallas. He was passionate but clear, articulate and persuasive. I feel like too many people on both sides ratchet up their intensity beyond any useful purpose. I'm very frustrated the I'm having to fight with the members of my own party to signed onto the legislative priorities of THEIR party and with THEIR majority cannot execute on those priorities in spite of massive grassroots pressure to do just that. Instead they are wrapped up in some personal drama among some of the members. It is hard to reign in my emotions about it all. But I will be calling my Texas Senator's office today to "implore" her to do her job and pass this legislation. I have to resist the urge to query "what the heck are you thinking?"
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:11 pm Yes, anyone may testify. You go to the capital, they have sign-in kiosks where you sign up to testify on a particular bill and then when that bill is under discussion by the committee, you are called to speak (usually) in order of sign up. However the committee members reserve the right to take some folks out of order if they have a particular witness that they want on the record. You are usually limited to a certain number of minutes (3-5) to make your point then the committee MAY ask questions which can extend your time to answer. When I did it for the House committee a few weeks ago, signed up about 0830 on Thursday morning, but due to other bills, and the number of witnesses, did not testify until approximately 0130 Friday morning---long day.

:iagree:
And if i recall correctly. you can sign up to testify "FOR" "Against "or "ON" a bill indicating a pro/con position or just presenting info or whatnot

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Correct as to the FOR, AGAINST, or ON. In fact, when Dr. John Lott testified, he stated rather emphatically that he was not testifying FOR or AGAINST, the bill, but was testifying ON and simply presenting facts based upon his research on the states which have already enacted Permitless Carry. His facts clearly showed that in those states, neither crime nor accidents increased and after an initial dip in carry applications, they actually increased over time. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm His facts clearly showed that in those states, neither crime nor accidents increased and after an initial dip in carry applications, they actually increased over time.
You mean decreased......
-Ruark

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”