Online comments now open: Definition of Frame or Receiver and Identification of Firearms

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Online comments now open: Definition of Frame or Receiver and Identification of Firearms

Post by Paladin »

Proposed rule

Make your comment here:

Comment
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995

Re: Online comments now open: Definition of Frame or Receiver and Identification of Firearms

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

So it looks like the ATF rule is only going after "parts kits" and not individual components? Meaning that a retailer just needs to sell the jig separately from the unfinished frame / receiver?

Or am I misreading this proposed rule?

tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Online comments now open: Definition of Frame or Receiver and Identification of Firearms

Post by tomneal »

On an AR15, neither the lower or the upper receiver meets the legal definition of a firearm (as per the 1968 GCA). You must put the parts together to build the firearm. The BATFE has regulations that name the lower receiver as "the firearm". In the last several years some felony cases have been dismissed because the AR15 parts involved were not firearms. The BATFE could not afford these charges to go to trial or 'everyone would find out' that their regulations did not follow the law.

These regulation changes are another attempt to regulate something outside the letter of the law.

I am unsure if there have been any court cases dealing with 'striker fired' firearms like Glocks.

I think the BATFE is getting nervous about their regulations and they don't think they can get the legal definitions cleaned up in congress.

Please note:
- I am not a lawyer.
- This is opinion, not legal advice.

I read about these legal definitions on the internet, and since no one can lie on the internet, I know it's true.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

They are also discussing "what is a silencer?"

I am concerned about muffler replacement parts being redefined as a 'suppressor'.

I've also discovered that I don't care enough to read the whole regulation in one sitting.
See you at the range

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I am unsure what they are saying about gunsmiths.

When you walk in the door to a gunsmith with a firearm, does he have to put it in his book? Even if he doesn't keep it overnight? Do you have to fill out a 4473 to take it back?

The subjects of these regulations range from:
'ghost guns'
AR15's and Glocks that don't match the legal definitions of firearms.
Gunsmiths
What about .22 Rimfire slides that convert a 1911 .45 ACP to a .22?

Lot's of questions.
See you at the range

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

tomneal wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:44 am I am unsure what they are saying about gunsmiths.

When you walk in the door to a gunsmith with a firearm, does he have to put it in his book? Even if he doesn't keep it overnight? Do you have to fill out a 4473 to take it back?

The subjects of these regulations range from:
'ghost guns'
AR15's and Glocks that don't match the legal definitions of firearms.
Gunsmiths
What about .22 Rimfire slides that convert a 1911 .45 ACP to a .22?

Lot's of questions.
How about we just recognize that all of it is based on Wickard v. Filburn and is outside of the proper constitutional scope of the federal government. Once that is accepted, it becomes clear that there is no logic to it because its all illegal anyway.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

B.A.T.F.E. Should become B.A.T.E. problem solved
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”