Travis County Bond Policies

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Travis County Bond Policies

Post by srothstein »

I happened to catch this on a YouTube video. Has anyone here seen the new gun policies that Travis County District Attorney has just put into place if you are arrested and want a bond? They are some pretty serious restrictions and go way to far in my opinion. I might agree with this in a few conditions but not anywhere nearly as many as he says he wants.

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/images/d ... policy.pdf
Steve Rothstein

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Travis County Bond Policies

Post by powerboatr »

very similar to alberquerque new mexico

i was "detained" there for 4 days and bonded out. as part of release, i was forbidden from owning firearms or being around them until such time as case was adjudicated. later all charges were dismissed. you have heard the story ..everyone is innocent. i was :biggrinjester:

no way was that DA going to come to texas to ensure i had no items, and no way was i going to liberate my items until such time as adjudication.
not to mention there was no way for new mexico to know if i even owned said items listed as not allowed to own or posses . judge even told me i had to stay in nm until trial, i spoke up and stated where i lived and how i had critters (livestock) to tend, he allowed me to leave state. i would have anyway, as livestock is far more important than a blind illiterate corrupt cop.

its a clear violation of rights imo to have you surrender/sell/get rid of items just becasue you got arrested. especially when arrest had nothing to do with firearms. conviction is a different story.

how would travis county know if you owned any firearms? are they going to come to your home and search?
imo it lays some pretty interesting legal issues
politicians sure love to trample on due process, until they get caught or called on it.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

srothstein wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:03 pm I happened to catch this on a YouTube video. Has anyone here seen the new gun policies that Travis County District Attorney has just put into place if you are arrested and want a bond? They are some pretty serious restrictions and go way to far in my opinion. I might agree with this in a few conditions but not anywhere nearly as many as he says he wants.

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/images/d ... policy.pdf
Hm. The Travis County Office of the District Attorney sure could have used a proofreader on that. How can a municipal office of that size not even bother to do one editing read of a document like that? Reminds me of Jill Biden's Ed.D. dissertation.

Geez. And I thought Harris County's DA was falling off the left side of the flat earth. Travis County wins that one. And note that a defendant doesn't simply get his guns back after a favorable adjudication. In all instances--even a not guilty verdict or case dismissed--the defendant has to formerly appeal to the DA's office for return of his firearms and the office will run a new background check. Return of the firearms then requires a court order.

And note the final #6 catch-all for the conditions under which a defendant will not be permitted to possess firearms: "Any case, even if not within the above scenarios, where an ADA believes that a firearm surrender is necessary for public safety." In other words, at the total and unilateral discretion of an assistant district attorney.
:headscratch
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I thought the DAs job was to enforce and prosecute laws, not make law!!!! The legislature needs to take a look at this.
N5PNZ

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

The god news was that I sent a notice of it to TSRA and they were also shocked. They said straight out that it was unconstitutional and their legislative team will get to work on this problem.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

srothstein wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:24 pm The god news was that I sent a notice of it to TSRA and they were also shocked. They said straight out that it was unconstitutional and their legislative team will get to work on this problem.
I was wondering about this.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”