Breyer Stepping Down

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Breyer Stepping Down

Post by dlh »

I read on Fox News today that Supreme Court Justice Breyer is stepping down at the end of the current
term.
Breyer is a liberal--Biden will replace him with a social radical.
Breyer was in the minority in Heller so this might not have much of
an effect on the Second Amendment but Biden's nomination--whoever it is--
will be hostile to the Second Amendment and that is bad news for all of us.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Breyer Stepping Down

Post by Rafe »

From The Hill:

Biden's pledge to appoint Black woman back in spotlight amid Breyer retirement

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ter-breyer
President Biden's pledge to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court is receiving renewed attention in the wake of reports that Justice Stephen Breyer plans to retire, giving Biden an opportunity to appoint his replacement.

Almost immediately after reports emerged Wednesday that Breyer planned to retire, Democrats issued calls for Biden to put forward a nominee that followed through on his pledge from the campaign trail.
So true to form for the new progressive democrat left, ability, capability, experience, and history aren't the most important factors in selecting a Supreme Court Justice. It's all about race and social signaling. Sigh. Some mornings I wake up and wonder what country I live in...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for him.
Condoleezza Rice or Harris Faulkner.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

BigGuy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for him.
I'll say it again here..... Marylin Mosby.. :lol:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Merrick Garland doesn't get the nomination.... He's already been vetted by the Senate, other than his offenses while in his current USAG office.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:33 pm
BigGuy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for him.
I'll say it again here..... Marylin Mosby.. :lol:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Merrick Garland doesn't get the nomination.... He's already been vetted by the Senate, other than his offenses while in his current USAG office.
When George Soros decided to spend millions back in 2014 to fund the election efforts of rogue prosecutors, one of the first people he backed was Marilyn Mosby. So I could see her a Biden nominee. :waiting:

Brandon--or rather, his handlers--needs to work to appease the radical left in his party. Garland, despite the Obama nomination, is way too white, way too male, and looks way too much like conservative (and by :looks" I mean literally, his appearance, not his behavior).

If you want a scary thought, here's one: Stacey Abrams. The saving grace there is that she put her law degree to work as a tax attorney, not anything related to constitutional law. Of course, there's nothing in the constitution or statutes that says a Justice has to have a law degree or have ever practiced law.

Now if you want an even scarier thought that will actually keep you up at night...

1) Biden committed on the campaign trail to picking a nominee who was female and of color.

2) It has never been done, but it is legal for a sitting vice president to be nominated to the Supreme Court.

3) Geoffrey Stone, law professor at the University of Chicago, has that stated that if a sitting vice president were confirmed to the Supreme Court he or she would have to resign as vice president...with the inference that the nomination could proceed without the vice president first resigning. That could make Kamala think she would have an out in the event the nomination failed. But a contentious nomination hearing would expose her...er, odd method of communication, any skeletons left unturned during the softball VP campaign and debates, plus the way that most feel is the terrible way she runs the current off ice of the VP. If the nomination fails, I could see being reason for the White House to encourage her to resign anyway.

4) With Kamala either seated in SCOTUS or offering her resignation, Joe then gets to nominate a new VP. Joe's handlers choose someone, finally, that they actually want in the catbird seat. New VP is approved by simple majority of both houses. Joe comes down with health issues and resigns.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Here's are CNN's picks:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/politics ... index.html

Ketanji Jackson is a top possibility. Her resume is, FWIW, pretty impressive.
-Ruark

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Since so many "conservative constitutionalist" judges have turned to making leftist commie dumbocrat decisions, coughRobertscough, what are the odds of a leftist commie dumbocrat justice turning conservative constitutionalist?

I won't hold my breath.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am surprised, especially given the campaign promise, that no one has mentioned Michelle Obama yet. I know her law license was turned in/suspended, but as was pointed out, you don't need a license to be a Justice.
Steve Rothstein

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:21 pm4) With Kamala either seated in SCOTUS or offering her resignation, Joe then gets to nominate a new VP. Joe's handlers choose someone, finally, that they actually want in the catbird seat. New VP is approved by simple majority of both houses. Joe comes down with health issues and resigns.
Hillary as new VP? And Joe definitely disappears if that happens.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

allisji

Post by allisji »

the senate judiciary committee has 11 republicans and 11 democrats. And roster of republicans is pretty decent with no obvious traitors.

my understanding is that it takes a majority in the committee to pass a recommendation from the committee to the full senate.

I'm interested in what the process is for a presidential nomination if they are not able to pass committee with a majority.

That doesn't mean that the republicans in the committee with try to block the nominee, but if they do try to block the nominee... is it possible?

My prediction is that the republicans will see their constitutional duty of "advice and consent" as a way to argue that the vetting of judicial appointments should not be based on politics but rather on qualifications and they will attempt to extend an olive branch by allowing the democrats to confirm the appointment. But perhaps they all learned their lesson from the democrat minority during the Trump presidency and they don't extend courtesy to Biden's nominee, instead they block the nominee from a vote in the senate and republicans take back control over the senate next January. Do the republicans block Biden appointees all the way up to the 2024 election? Can Breyer unretire if republican's block his replacement?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

i suggest Ted Cruz ... if Ted will just "identify as" a Black Female Democrat lawyer for a while ... Theonda Cruz ...
I see no reason that won't work. Reality has no place in the liberal mind if one says they "identify as"... a "pink pine Christmas tree" then everyone must accept it as true.. right?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

NotRPB wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:16 pm i suggest Ted Cruz ... if Ted will just "identify as" a Black Female Democrat lawyer for a while ... Theonda Cruz ...
I see no reason that won't work. Reality has no place in the liberal mind if one says they "identify as"... a "pink pine Christmas tree" then everyone must accept it as true.. right?
:smilelol5:

Don’t forget the correct pronouns.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

My vote (not that it matters) is for Ted Nugent.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

srothstein wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 pm I am surprised, especially given the campaign promise, that no one has mentioned Michelle Obama yet. I know her law license was turned in/suspended, but as was pointed out, you don't need a license to be a Justice.
i dont think BIG mike would pass muster once its outed she is a he or was or is
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”