ATF Blocking Homemade Firearms Silencer Applications En Mass(e)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 1

ATF Blocking Homemade Firearms Silencer Applications En Mass(e)

Post by AndyC1911 »

AmmoLand News has received reports that many people waiting for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to approve their Form 1 tax stamp for their homebuilt suppressors received a rejection from the National Firearms Act (NFA) Division.

AmmoLand News has confirmed that the ATF rejected multiple people’s Form 1s en masse with the same language on the same day. Forms with the exact wording have been approved many times by the division.
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/atf-ba ... z7MZvYMkzn

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ATF Blocking Homemade Firearms Silencer Applications En Mass(e)

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm confused. Is the ATF saying that solvent traps are de-facto suppressors (since they can be "readily converted" to such)? And if so, is it now illegal to buy a solvent trap?

Same question, but a bit more ridiculous for fuel filters. That would mean that I couldn't legally do maintenance on my car. Taken to an extreme, no vehicles could be manufactured in the U.S. since manufacturers presumably need fuel filters.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

In another Form 1 group I belong to there are quite a few folks (those that weren't outright denied) posting an email they received asking for pictures of their materials, of the equipment they're going to use to manufacture, and where they bought the supplies. The general consensus seems to be that they're fishing for the rest of the solvent trap sellers and that it's a trap to have people provide proof they bought something (that was legal when they bought it) that the ATF considers illegal now.

This is really ridiculous. It's way past time to get Suppressors off the NFA.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:27 am I'm confused. Is the ATF saying that solvent traps are de-facto suppressors (since they can be "readily converted" to such)? And if so, is it now illegal to buy a solvent trap?

Same question, but a bit more ridiculous for fuel filters. That would mean that I couldn't legally do maintenance on my car. Taken to an extreme, no vehicles could be manufactured in the U.S. since manufacturers presumably need fuel filters.
i am stupid, i had never heard of a solvent trap being defined as a filter for a fluid in regards to firearms.
i guess "words" do matter, but i then refer back to what is "IS" ?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

powerboatr wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:52 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:27 am I'm confused. Is the ATF saying that solvent traps are de-facto suppressors (since they can be "readily converted" to such)? And if so, is it now illegal to buy a solvent trap?

i am stupid, i had never heard of a solvent trap being defined as a filter for a fluid in regards to firearms.
i guess "words" do matter, but i then refer back to what is "IS" ?
I was referencing two different things that are both mentioned in the article. The first one is solvent traps, which are intended to capture solvent when you are cleaning a gun. This avoids covering your floor with used solvent, and also allows you to recycle it if you are so inclined.

The second, and completely different, thing is a fuel filter for a vehicle.

The commonality is that the ATF appears to believe that both of these things are actually illegal to possess because the ATF thinks they can be "readily converted" to becoming a suppressor for a firearm. I hope this clears up any confusion I may have created.

My point being that the ATF seems to be willing to ban items with significant non-prohibited uses, and in the case of fuel filters, with significant non-firearms related uses. All in the name of making sure that guns are as loud as possible.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

clarionite wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:24 am In another Form 1 group I belong to there are quite a few folks (those that weren't outright denied) posting an email they received asking for pictures of their materials, of the equipment they're going to use to manufacture, and where they bought the supplies. The general consensus seems to be that they're fishing for the rest of the solvent trap sellers and that it's a trap to have people provide proof they bought something (that was legal when they bought it) that the ATF considers illegal now.

This is really ridiculous. It's way past time to get Suppressors off the NFA.
Agreed!!!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”