federal connection between marijuana and guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: federal connection between marijuana and guns

Post by powerboatr »

oohrah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:12 pm You are naive if you think that people will start driving high from marijuana when it is legalized. People have been driving high for decades. Then ther's driving with meth. It's a dangerous place out there.
yes i agree, but i also know it will be more prevalent than it is now. imo
insurance goes up from to many wildlife encounters on rural roads,
insurance will surely go up once the actuaries add in the % or more stoned drivers.

personally if you light up at home or drink at home, just dont get behind the wheel. i drink and i don't ever get behind wheel id i have NEVER.
same goes with pain meds. its just not worth the risk imo.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:18 am
Reading that once again tells us all that government intrusion is to blame for illegal activity. The amount of fees and taxes imposed on the legal industry is absolutely ridiculous. No wonder there are problems. Government intrusion into pain medications created a devil far worse than the one we had from legal pain medications. Thanks to government, we now have illegal drugs on the rise such as heroin and fentanyl. If there is any possible way to make an unmitigated disaster of anything, the government can show us how.
Exactly.

If you want something to flourish, have the government declare war on it.

War on poverty.
War on Drugs.
War on Terror.
War on Crime. (LBJ)
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mayor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mayor »

I retired this year. I've been a good boy all my life. I was in the military, worked government jobs, testing regularly was just part of the position. I'm planning a trip to Colorado some day. :cheers2:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

While I personally don’t smoke weed, I have seen first hand experiences of how helpful it can be to some. My mom passed away from cancer not too long ago. Towards the end the cookies helped her eat and be at ease more. I have also seen people who are very anxious or get stressed too easily benefit from it. Argument can be made that it is actually less lethal to you (and others) then alcohol.
I’ve ran plenty calls where scene was rather interesting due to alcohol. Not so much with weed. So while I don’t have a dog in the puff game, I don’t have an issue with decriminalizing it. Focus ought to be more on hard drugs, coke, meth, fentanyl etc. Weed ain’t in the same ballpark imho.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

parabelum wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:30 pm While I personally don’t smoke weed, I have seen first hand experiences of how helpful it can be to some. My mom passed away from cancer not too long ago. Towards the end the cookies helped her eat and be at ease more. I have also seen people who are very anxious or get stressed too easily benefit from it. Argument can be made that it is actually less lethal to you (and others) then alcohol.
I’ve ran plenty calls where scene was rather interesting due to alcohol. Not so much with weed. So while I don’t have a dog in the puff game, I don’t have an issue with decriminalizing it. Focus ought to be more on hard drugs, coke, meth, fentanyl etc. Weed ain’t in the same ballpark imho.
There has also been reports of marijuana helping people with MS symptoms. My daughter for one. It helped with some of her symptoms but she did not like the way it made her feel so she discontinued it in pretty short order. She only tried it a couple three times. She is against intoxicants of any kind so she discontinued with the experiment. She occasionally uses CBD oil but CBD oil has zero intoxication affects. The current classification by the federal government of marijuana makes it extremely difficult to do meaningful research on any potential medical benefits from it's use. It is quite possible there are several beneficial uses in the different chemicals derived from marijuana yet to be discovered.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

parabelum wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:30 pm While I personally don’t smoke weed, I have seen first hand experiences of how helpful it can be to some. My mom passed away from cancer not too long ago. Towards the end the cookies helped her eat and be at ease more. I have also seen people who are very anxious or get stressed too easily benefit from it. Argument can be made that it is actually less lethal to you (and others) then alcohol.
:iagree: My oldest daughter had a 2 year battle with stomach cancer which by the grace of God, she has, at least for now, won. Her oncologist suggested she try some weed to help her be able to eat, drink, and sleep. Although she didn't use very much of it (4 times per cigarette) it did help her all the way around. Now, due to all of the chemo and radiation treatments, she has developed fibromyalgia. Again, her oncologist suggested she continue to smoke it to ease the effects of this disease. May be a life long journey but if it helps her through it I'm all for it. BTW, she is able to get it from a medical dispensary in Oklahoma with a prescription from a doctor up there that was recommended by her doctor.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

I can vouch for CBD being effective at improving some chronic pain. Never tried the intoxicating stuff, but, given my mostly positive experience with CBD, I would consider the full strength stuff if/when it becomes non-disqualifying on a 4473. Pain sucks.

The biggest negative about CBD is that there's sooooooo much bovine excrement about different formulations and what ailments they can treat that there's almost no way to trust a salespersons knowledge or claims, short of trying some samples and seeing what effect they have on you personally.

https://thehill.com/news/house/3256370- ... marijuana/
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:41 am I can vouch for CBD being effective at improving some chronic pain. Never tried the intoxicating stuff, but, given my mostly positive experience with CBD, I would consider the full strength stuff if/when it becomes non-disqualifying on a 4473. Pain sucks.

The biggest negative about CBD is that there's sooooooo much bovine excrement about different formulations and what ailments they can treat that there's almost no way to trust a salespersons knowledge or claims, short of trying some samples and seeing what effect they have on you personally.

My wifes neuropathy doctor has developed a CBD cream that has worked wonders for her as well as my knee pain. Now, about the multitudes of info out there, her doctor had a booth at the Delta 8/CBD Expo this year and he invited us to come. We were given 2 big bags full of samples from all of the different venders. It may take a year to try all of the different creams, gummies and drops we got.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RPBrown wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:41 am I can vouch for CBD being effective at improving some chronic pain. Never tried the intoxicating stuff, but, given my mostly positive experience with CBD, I would consider the full strength stuff if/when it becomes non-disqualifying on a 4473. Pain sucks.

My wifes neuropathy doctor has developed a CBD cream that has worked wonders for her as well as my knee pain. Now, about the multitudes of info out there, her doctor had a booth at the Delta 8/CBD Expo this year and he invited us to come. We were given 2 big bags full of samples from all of the different venders. It may take a year to try all of the different creams, gummies and drops we got.
If you come across something you think would work well on the pain stemming from the 2 bad discs in my neck, I'd love to hear about it!

So far, Voltaren Gel has been fairly effective for me. I've not tried any of the myriad CBD creams other than a sample I was given, once.

:thumbs2:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Unfortunately, can't even try CBD. I have several US Govt licenses including a pilot license. As long as cannabis is a Fed no-no, I can't afford to get near the stuff.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

oohrah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:18 pm Unfortunately, can't even try CBD. I have several US Govt licenses including a pilot license. As long as cannabis is a Fed no-no, I can't afford to get near the stuff.
4473 and LTC instructor's licenses are the main reason I don't even experiment with the stuff. I have my Student's Pilot License. But when Covid hit I was out of the seat for so long that I decided to sink that money into my house instead of finishing the license. I miss getting up in the air, but I can't really say I'd use it as often as I thought I would when I started.

If it were legalized federally I might try it for it's pain killing properties. Getting older sucks. But it beats the alternative.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've heard the same from a lot of law enforcement. I don't smoke anything and have no interest in it, but can see how it would be helpful to cancer patients and others.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The decision would have been released before the midterms anyway.
Better to let people process their grief now, IMO

This was always going to be a rally cry for the left.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”