Supreme Court strikes down NY gun law

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Supreme Court strikes down NY gun law

Post by oohrah »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:08 pm
pt145ss wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:33 pm So, what does this do in terms of Texans carrying in places like New York? They confirmed that the 2nd amendment covers carrying outside the home for self defense (among other reasons). I think reasonable people would agree that self defense and the second amendment do not stop when crossing state lines.

Any thoughts on this?
I don’t agree with states that will do this, but I think that what’s likely to happen is that they:

A. WILL NOT issue non-resident licenses; and

B. WILL NOT establish reciprocity with other states.

Unless a national reciprocity law is passed, it’s an individual sovereign state's right to decide for itself whether or not it will enter into a reciprocity agreement with another state. As long as they’re going to make it hard for their own residents to get a carry license, they’re certainly not going to allow a bunch of "cowboys" from the free states to carry there.
Well, consider Illinois. when they had the licensing ultimatum or accept constitutional carry, they passed CCL laws. These laws did not offer reciprocity, but they did allow non-resident licensees from states whose carry laws were "substantially similar" to IL CCL laws. Texas is one of them.

New Jersey already allows non-resident carry permits. But just like CA and NY, NJ is "may issue", not a chance until now. it's a wait and see, but hopefully they will keep the same licensing structure in place and just go to "shall issue".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”