New York’s Unconstitutional Gun Law Was Written By A Notorious, Corrupt Thug

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

The Sullivan Act was named after Timothy D. Sullivan, one of the most corrupt politicians of his age.

...The Sullivan Act, passed in 1911, was the nation’s first statewide gun control law. It required New Yorkers who possessed firearms small enough to be concealed to ask local cops—who could deny the request not just to “irresponsible persons” but to anyone, and for any reason, they liked—for a license.

...Such discretionary and capricious gun laws would allow corrupt cops to disarm rival gangs that threatened Tammany Hall’s authority or undermined its political interests. Big Tim’s cronies could use the law to punish business owners who didn’t pay protection money or deny entire neighborhoods the ability of self-defense.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New York’s Unconstitutional Gun Law Was Written By A Notorious, Corrupt Thug

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am New York’s Unconstitutional Gun Law Was Written By A Notorious, Corrupt Thug
The Sullivan Act was named after Timothy D. Sullivan, one of the most corrupt politicians of his age.

...The Sullivan Act, passed in 1911, was the nation’s first statewide gun control law. It required New Yorkers who possessed firearms small enough to be concealed to ask local cops—who could deny the request not just to “irresponsible persons” but to anyone, and for any reason, they liked—for a license.

...Such discretionary and capricious gun laws would allow corrupt cops to disarm rival gangs that threatened Tammany Hall’s authority or undermined its political interests. Big Tim’s cronies could use the law to punish business owners who didn’t pay protection money or deny entire neighborhoods the ability of self-defense.
Little known is the fact that firearm deaths increased after the Sullivan Act due to long guns becoming the choice weapon as handguns were prohibited.
I did a paper for English class in college back in 1967 on the effect of gun laws worldwide. I found that eliminating firearms had little effect on homicide rate and differing countries resorted to the most common non gun weapon. Machetes and hacking to death was the favorite in Africa. BTW, I thought it was a good paper, but I got an "F". Libs were in charge even back then.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New York’s Unconstitutional Gun Law Was Written By A Notorious, Corrupt Thug

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:14 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am New York’s Unconstitutional Gun Law Was Written By A Notorious, Corrupt Thug

Little known is the fact that firearm deaths increased after the Sullivan Act due to long guns becoming the choice weapon as handguns were prohibited.
I did a paper for English class in college back in 1967 on the effect of gun laws worldwide. I found that eliminating firearms had little effect on homicide rate and differing countries resorted to the most common non gun weapon. Machetes and hacking to death was the favorite in Africa. BTW, I thought it was a good paper, but I got an "F". Libs were in charge even back then.
Interesting! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”