Supreme Court ruling on 'conceal carry' law in NY will affect Maryland, say local gunowners and law enforcement

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Supreme Court ruling on 'conceal carry' law in NY will affect Maryland, say local gunowners and law enforcement

Post by Paladin »

"Right now there is no path for you to get your wear and carry (license) in Maryland," Adam said Friday. "They are going to have to at least create a path. They can't say 'no' outright."

(Editor's Note: 'Wear and Carry' is Maryland's legal term for a permit allowing the carrying of a concealed weapon, commonly referred to as "concealed carry" in much of the nation)

..."There are 28,000 wear and carry permits in the system now. Maryland State Police doesn't have the personnel to process that," Adam said, wondering what will happen if that number balloons to 900,000.
This is a major shake up to all the "May issue" states. The criminals in Baltimore may have just lost their control of the streets.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Supreme Court ruling on 'conceal carry' law in NY will affect Maryland, say local gunowners and law enforcement

Post by puma guy »

I'm assuming the decision will be far reaching for states that require proving need. Am I wrong?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Supreme Court ruling on 'conceal carry' law in NY will affect Maryland, say local gunowners and law enforcement

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:17 pm I'm assuming the decision will be far reaching for states that require proving need. Am I wrong?
It completely up-ends their state laws as well as the 2-step framework many Federal courts have been using to analyze Second Amendment cases. Essentially NY and 6 other states will have to adopt shall issue.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”