How Should Courts Evaluate Gun Regulations After Bruen?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Should Courts Evaluate Gun Regulations After Bruen?

Post by Grayling813 »

Simple: As infringements upon the 2A and declared null and void.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Great read.

One question that I haven't seen addressed is how this impacts my ability to get a non-resident CCW license in states that do not have reciprocity with my state of residence (Texas). Since this decision affirms my rights as a US Citizen, I can't think of any good reason why that right would be restricted only to carry within my home state and not across the US as a whole.

I'm guessing that this might require a follow-up case to fully resolve...

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm Great read.

One question that I haven't seen addressed is how this impacts my ability to get a non-resident CCW license in states that do not have reciprocity with my state of residence (Texas). Since this decision affirms my rights as a US Citizen, I can't think of any good reason why that right would be restricted only to carry within my home state and not across the US as a whole.

Agreed!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

x2 thats a great question.
so it should now be 50 state carry, but would that then require feds to set rules, vice each state on where to carry and or how?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:47 pm

so it should now be 50 state carry, but would that then require feds to set rules, vice each state on where to carry and or how?
Article IV, Section 1: Full Faith and Credit Clause says that they can recognize it, like they do drivers licenses... but it seems clear the court will have to act to bring states like NY in line.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:47 pm

It could just be analogous to drivers licenses or marriage licenses, where there are certain universal federal rules but the states also get to set rules and the states are the entity's that issue the actual license.

For example, I could see a minimum age for having a CCW (I believe the minimum drivers license age is 16 as an analogy), a requirement to pass the same background check that's required to buy a gun from an FFL, and certain other standard rules across the nation. But rules about specific places you can carry, etc., are probably best left up to the states (time, manner, and place restrictions are referenced in the SCOTUS decision, I believe). Importantly, those restrictions should apply equally to both resident and non-resident license holders.

And if any state decided to make the time, manner, and place restrictions so broad that they effectively prohibited all carry, that would of course be challenged on its underlying substance.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”