UPS Refusing Shipments from Brownell's and Ghost Guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mayor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UPS Refusing Shipments from Brownell's and Ghost Guns

Post by mayor »

jmorris wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 am
Once completed you cannot sell or transfer it because of the lack of a serial number.
I don't think this is correct. Not that it isn't good advice.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

You can take it to a trophy shop and they can engrave any serial number of your choosing. I know of one guy who finished 80% receivers for his grandsons and had their initials and DOB engraved as the S/N's. I don't know how/if they could be included in police reports if stolen or insurance claims if lost in a fire with no number but that may not matter, I just don't know. Pretty sure the initials and DOB will make for a unique S/N though.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

mayor wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:32 pm
jmorris wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 am
Once completed you cannot sell or transfer it because of the lack of a serial number.
I don't think this is correct. Not that it isn't good advice.
I was misremembering. You cannot make an unserialized[1] gun with the purpose of selling or transferring it, but if you make it for personal use you can do so later.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/r ... person.htm

[1]I'm no longer referring to them as ghost guns. Not supporting that narrative.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:05 am As usual, I find myself "out dated". I thought selling any firearm to someone from another state required an FFL do the transfer. Maybe I am not up to speed on what exactly is a "ghost gun"? I had no idea I could purchase a complete "gun" with no serial number anywhere on the "gun".
While most people referring to this today are referring to the homemade custom weapon that you decide to give or sell later after you have used it. This is perfectly legal.

But there is a weird condition where you can buy a legal, factory built, firearm that has no serial number. My very first rifle I bought fell under this circumstance (and I wish I still had it). Serial numbers were not required on all firearms until the Gun Control Act of 1968, and many were made before this date without serial numbers. Mine was a Marlin .22lr Lever Action with a box magazine that had been made in the early 60's. I bought it in 1974 in Lawrence, Kansas from a Western Auto store and filled out the 4473 and everything. I do not know how many of these type of firearms are still available and on the market, but given the normal lifespan of a steel weapon, I imagine there are still some.
Steve Rothstein

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:51 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:05 am As usual, I find myself "out dated". I thought selling any firearm to someone from another state required an FFL do the transfer. Maybe I am not up to speed on what exactly is a "ghost gun"? I had no idea I could purchase a complete "gun" with no serial number anywhere on the "gun".
While most people referring to this today are referring to the homemade custom weapon that you decide to give or sell later after you have used it. This is perfectly legal.

But there is a weird condition where you can buy a legal, factory built, firearm that has no serial number. My very first rifle I bought fell under this circumstance (and I wish I still had it). Serial numbers were not required on all firearms until the Gun Control Act of 1968, and many were made before this date without serial numbers. Mine was a Marlin .22lr Lever Action with a box magazine that had been made in the early 60's. I bought it in 1974 in Lawrence, Kansas from a Western Auto store and filled out the 4473 and everything. I do not know how many of these type of firearms are still available and on the market, but given the normal lifespan of a steel weapon, I imagine there are still some.
My first, and even today favorite, rifle is a Mossberg 146b manufactured between 1949 and 1954, and like many of that era it had no serial number. My dad bought it for me at a local hardware store in the early eighties. Even today after untold numbers of rounds it is still accurate, reliable, and impressive. I have even seen "seconds" from major manufacturers that did not have the manufacturers roll marks or serial numbers as these "dent and scratch" models were not worthy of the logo but worthy of the money people would pay for a 'discounted' version of a popular model.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Solving Crimes?

Just a dumb / non-LEO question.

I've read that the brass database has not solved a single shooting. Even in Hawaii. Seems like a waste of resources to collect the information.

How many shootings are solved by tracing the guns serial number?
I would not think many guns are left at the crime scene. BUT, I don't know.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

tomneal wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:10 am Solving Crimes?

Just a dumb / non-LEO question.

I've read that the brass database has not solved a single shooting. Even in Hawaii. Seems like a waste of resources to collect the information.

How many shootings are solved by tracing the guns serial number?
I would not think many guns are left at the crime scene. BUT, I don't know.
I would imagine it is more help with tracking down straw purchasers. If you find several firearms at crime scenes or in the hands of felons. They all trace back to one purchaser, or one ffl. I can see where knowing that would be useful. How many shootings directly solved by them? Probably not many.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”