TX: Houston gun buy back a big success

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Houston gun buy back a big success

Post by philip964 »

Lots of those evil 3D printed “ ghost guns” were turned in for $150 a piece.

I think this was a great success for keeping the community safe.

Congratulations to all those who volunteered and taxpayers footed the bill.
Attachments
381D8BBC-B2C4-497C-AA88-06DAFB1D17ED.jpeg

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Houston gun buy back a big success

Post by powerboatr »

150 a piece
i need to go print up a bunch of dumb looking trigger stuff and wait for next one
what a money maker and tax free :cheers2:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

We had one up here in Fort Worth a few weeks back. News reported some enterprising guys showed up and were able to snag some pretty good deals. FWPD apparently ran out of gift cards within a few hours but the private group hung out afterwards.

mayor

Post by mayor »

philip964 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:09 pm Lots of those evil 3D printed “ ghost guns” were turned in for $150 a piece.

I think this was a great success for keeping the community safe.

Congratulations to all those who volunteered and taxpayers footed the bill.
:lol: except it was with taxpayer monies. :banghead:
almost 10 grand. that would pay for a nice 3D printer.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Dagnabit! I tried to turn in 50 of these for a cool $7,500, but I got there too late...

I mean, worth at least the $150 each because HR 1808 says that a "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is anything that has a capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition. These things have an ammunition feeding device capable of more than 300 shots! How's that for a truly terrifying "semiautomatic assault weapon"?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -scrutiny/

City May restructure the gun buy backs in the future.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

I'd like to know if anyone showed up with cash and scored some good deals.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Malawler wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:04 am I'd like to know if anyone showed up with cash and scored some good deals.
I went to one of those in Dallas a few years back thinking of scoring a deal. There were lots of sketching looking folks and the guns I actually saw were all trash. I started thinking about the possibilities of buying a stolen gun. After an hour maybe, I took off. It was a waist of my time quite frankly.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Read that the Harris County DA is not happy as there were no questions asked and DA is concerned with folks ditching guns used in crimes and concerns with chain of custody, etc.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

They took in nearly 1000 mostly nonfunctional weapons. Getting guns off of the street? I don't think so; more like just getting them out of the attics, out from the back of closets, the bottom of junk drawers. Most of these guns probably hadn't even been seen, let alone cleaned or fired, in decades. As for the 3D printed guns, it looks to me like they belong at the recycling center more so than anywhere else. Most of those look like "one-time use" guns to me.

I'm sure that several folks on this forum probably do have experience firing 3D printed guns though, I would be interested to hear from someone as far as their experience how the 3D printed ones perform. I'm guessing most of them are breech loading or derringer type, so as long as the they don't deform after use then I guess they should be able to continue chambering and firing
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:38 am Read that the Harris County DA is not happy as there were no questions asked and DA is concerned with folks ditching guns used in crimes and concerns with chain of custody, etc.
beggars can't be choosers. "Come to the gun buyback and turn in your guns for cash. Also, if you're a wanted criminal we'll give you a ride down to the county jail".

That said, I'm pretty sure that the really dangerous types are never the ones who show up to a government sponsored gun buyback event...

In other news, I thought that all of these people were for universal background checks on all firearms transfers...
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”