After Supreme Court ruling, it's open season on US gun laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

Funny how this was in the foreign press, I guess the anti-american US legacy media didn't want to put the word out?

“The gun rights movement has been given a weapon of mass destruction, and it will annihilate approximately 75% of the gun laws eventually," said Evan Nappen, a New Jersey gun rights attorney.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: After Supreme Court ruling, it's open season on US gun laws

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:18 am Funny how this was in the foreign press, I guess the anti-american US legacy media didn't want to put the word out?

“The gun rights movement has been given a weapon of mass destruction, and it will annihilate approximately 75% of the gun laws eventually," said Evan Nappen, a New Jersey gun rights attorney.
I have no problem with eliminating 100% of all the restrictions and rules on those legally unrestricted to own a firearm.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wheelgun1958 »

https://archive.ph/j40QE

No nosey yahoo snooping.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:41 pm https://archive.ph/j40QE

No nosey yahoo snooping.
Thanks. I detest those things.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mayor

Post by mayor »

Hypothetical question.
If the US government decides it's a good idea to follow Australia's lead and ban guns, at what point do citizens use their guns to shut that nonsense down?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

mayor wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:03 am Hypothetical question.
If the US government decides it's a good idea to follow Australia's lead and ban guns, at what point do citizens use their guns to shut that nonsense down?
I think the real question is "what percentage of US citizens will actively resist". My guess is that it will be a very small percentage, but that it will be enough to make any confiscation effort extremely unpleasant for the government.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:29 pm
I think the real question is "what percentage of US citizens will actively resist". My guess is that it will be a very small percentage, but that it will be enough to make any confiscation effort extremely unpleasant for the government.
I agree. What I think what would most likely happen is most gun owning Americans will first attempt to just quietly secret their guns away in their homes. The question would next be, how will the government react to people refusing to turn in their weapons. The door to door thing will be the only option left for the government. That is when I think we will see what happens next.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm
I agree. What I think what would most likely happen is most gun owning Americans will first attempt to just quietly secret their guns away in their homes. The question would next be, how will the government react to people refusing to turn in their weapons. The door to door thing will be the only option left for the government. That is when I think we will see what happens next.
The precedent may have already been set. What ever happened with the widespread non-compliance to New York State's SAFE Act? https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/ ... -safe-act/
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:48 pm
The precedent may have already been set. What ever happened with the widespread non-compliance to New York State's SAFE Act? https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/ ... -safe-act/
I hadn't seen that 4% compliance number before. That is interesting! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

NY was not the only State to pass an assault weapons ban. Connecticut also did the compliance with the CT law was apparently on par with the citizens of NY.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ct-ma ... gistration

I remember (but cannot find) a back and forth in the media between CT State Police who vowed to do 6am kick in the door raids to enforce compliance with the CT law and CT citizens whose response was "bring it.". I wrote both of those off as braggadocio. I'm certain that we would have heard if any doors had been kicked in. It was another case where the politicians wrote checks with their mouths that they couldn't cash with their behinds.

It is easy to forget that the public only complies with the laws that it finds valid. Prohibition was a law, too. Prohibition got changed but it was over tax revenue not government overreach. To address overreach, you need a judiciary that actually wants to do its job. Thanks to "45", we are far better off on that score than we would be if the appointments had been done in the current administration. A weaponized DOJ would be a nightmare under that circumstance.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Who are they going to send door to door to take away guns?
My local PD won't do it.... Yes.. I asked them.
Texas National Guard? Who are you kidding?
There are not enough FBI/Federal agents to get the job done and I expect a fair number (most, hopefully) of them would tell Uncle Alzheimer to pound sand.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Many years ago when I was in my 30s, I did service work going to people's houses, this is when the realization struck me that Federal Agents from all the Alphabet soup agencies lived in subdivisions and had neighbors and people that knew where they lived! Bad idea to attack others when your home territory is unguarded!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mayor

Post by mayor »

I'm just wondering how something like this can be shutdown before the gov even thinks about confiscation. I'm not a fan of hiding and pretending like I don't have weapons. But I also don't want to be the first to stick my neck out. Organization would be better.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am
Who are they going to send door to door to take away guns?
My local PD won't do it.... Yes.. I asked them.
Texas National Guard? Who are you kidding?
There are not enough FBI/Federal agents to get the job done and I expect a fair number (most, hopefully) of them would tell Uncle Alzheimer to pound sand.
:iagree: The real problem for the gun-grabbers is that many of them just don't understand the concept of logistics. Logistics does not simply mean moving packages from one place to another.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am
I don't share your optimism.

Based upon the recent FBI raids across the country on "enemies of the state" there's plenty of FBI/Federal agents willing to do whatever they are ordered to do.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”