How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along

Post by Paladin »

Good update from John Lott: How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along
An early July survey by the Trafalgar Group showed that a plurality of American general election voters believe that armed citizens are the most effective element in protecting you and your family in the case of a mass shooting. First on the list was “armed citizens” at 42%, followed by “local police” (25%) and “federal agents” (10%). [“None of the above” was the answer chosen by 23% of respondents.] A survey by YouGov in May – before the Uvalde, Texas, attack – found that by a margin of 51% to 37% American adults supported letting schoolteachers and administrations carry concealed handguns.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:23 pm Good update from John Lott: How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along
An early July survey by the Trafalgar Group showed that a plurality of American general election voters believe that armed citizens are the most effective element in protecting you and your family in the case of a mass shooting. First on the list was “armed citizens” at 42%, followed by “local police” (25%) and “federal agents” (10%). [“None of the above” was the answer chosen by 23% of respondents.] A survey by YouGov in May – before the Uvalde, Texas, attack – found that by a margin of 51% to 37% American adults supported letting schoolteachers and administrations carry concealed handguns.
Who would have thought the FBI would lie by omission about anything?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mayor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along

Post by mayor »

puma guy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:55 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:23 pm Good update from John Lott: How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers, and Media Play Along
I know, right? I'm shocked.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You mean the Security Branch of the DNC (AKA “FBI”)?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:26 pm
You mean the Security Branch of the DNC (AKA “FBI”)?
:thumbs2: Yes! That!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

John Lott with a substantial update:

FBI Underreports Defensive Gun Use to Congress
Lott told members of the subcommittee that the FBI hired academics from Texas State University to find news stories about incidents where active shooter incidents (defined by the agency as incidents in which an individual actively kills or attempts to kill people in a populated, public area) were stopped by armed citizens. Subsequently, the agency reported that armed citizens stopped only 11 of 252 active shooter incidents, or about 4.4 percent.

Despite having a far smaller budget than the FBI, Lott’s group decided to do its own search for such news stories. What he found was quite eye-opening. “We discovered a total of 360 active shooter incidents from 2014 to 2021, and found that an armed citizen stopped 124 of these,” Lott testified. “I also found that the FBI had misidentified five cases, usually because the person who stopped the attack was incorrectly identified as a security guard.”
Though we found that armed citizens had stopped 11 times more cases than the FBI reports, I make no claim that we have identified all of them,”
Despite the extremists(FBI, anti-gunners) best efforts the truth is getting out.

This report shows that it is a conspiracy:
CDC removed stats on defensive gun use over pressure from gun control activists: report
"CDC is just aligning itself with the gun-control advocacy groups," Kleck told the outlet. "It's just saying: ‘We are their tool, and we will do their bidding.' And that's not what a government agency should do."
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

“We are living in a world right now where literally hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars is being spent to misinform people about what causes crime and how you stop it, and how effective individuals are at being able to go and stop it.” 
-Dr. John Lott

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Lott told members of the subcommittee that the FBI hired academics from Texas State University to find news stories about incidents where active shooter incidents (defined by the agency as incidents in which an individual actively kills or attempts to kill people in a populated, public area) were stopped by armed citizens. Subsequently, the agency reported that armed citizens stopped only 11 of 252 active shooter incidents, or about 4.4 percent.
I like Lott and his research, but I think he worded this very poorly. The FBI did not "hire" anyone at Texas State for this. The FBI manages some of the DOJ grant programs. A couple students, with a professor as an advisor, applied for a grant to do this research project. Last time I was in the CJ building, there was a poster on the wall with the research, which had been presented by the students at one of the CJ conferences (Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice I think but I may be remembering wrong). I think (again, I might be wrong, there were a lot of these types of posters I read) the poster even contained a warning that the methodology might be flawed because of the reliance on news reports.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

srothstein wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 pm
I like Lott and his research, but I think he worded this very poorly. The FBI did not "hire" anyone at Texas State for this. The FBI manages some of the DOJ grant programs. A couple students, with a professor as an advisor, applied for a grant to do this research project. Last time I was in the CJ building, there was a poster on the wall with the research, which had been presented by the students at one of the CJ conferences (Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice I think but I may be remembering wrong). I think (again, I might be wrong, there were a lot of these types of posters I read) the poster even contained a warning that the methodology might be flawed because of the reliance on news reports.
While Texas State were never employees, they did work a job and got paid for it. In this case Lott offered them additional information which the FBI did not incorporate, so I can see where he is coming from.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”