Credit Card Processors to use newly created Gun Store Transaction Code

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Credit Card Processors to use newly created Gun Store Transaction Code

Post by rtschl »

This looks like they are copying the playbook with big tech and free speech. Since they can't control the 1st and 2nd Amendment via the government, it will be done by giant corporations.

On Friday, the International Organization for Standards announced that it had approved a new merchant category code for gun retailers. In other words, the ISO caved to longstanding pressure brought by the gun control industry and politicians including a group of US Senators to create the new code.

This is a big step in the gun control industry’s long push to privatize much of gun control after years of being frustrated at the federal level and, most recently, by the Supreme Court’s Bruen ruling.

But this is a first step toward a larger surveillance system that’s ultimately aimed at controlling and deplatforming as many aspects of the firearms industry as possible.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/major ... purchases/
Ron
NRA Member

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Credit Card Processors to use newly created Gun Store Transaction Code

Post by Mel »

How about using the credit card to buy a "gift card", and use the "gift card" to buy the gun?
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

The really weird thing is this does nothing about gun or ammo sales at all, and will not provide anyone with any meaningful data. The code is for what kind of store is making the sale. How do you define a gun store? For example, there are two stores that sell guns and ammo that I would never use. Are Dick's or Walmart gun stores? Also, not every purchase from a gun store is guns or ammo. I can buy accessories and other supplies such as flashlights from a gun store.

So the big question now is how does the credit card company decide who is a gun store versus a sporting goods store versus general merchandise store? I am assuming the credit card company gets to make the decision on what the store is.
Steve Rothstein

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Mel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:37 pm How about using the credit card to buy a "gift card", and use the "gift card" to buy the gun?
That or just cash.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

srothstein wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:43 pm The really weird thing is this does nothing about gun or ammo sales at all, and will not provide anyone with any meaningful data. The code is for what kind of store is making the sale. How do you define a gun store? For example, there are two stores that sell guns and ammo that I would never use. Are Dick's or Walmart gun stores? Also, not every purchase from a gun store is guns or ammo. I can buy accessories and other supplies such as flashlights from a gun store.

So the big question now is how does the credit card company decide who is a gun store versus a sporting goods store versus general merchandise store? I am assuming the credit card company gets to make the decision on what the store is.
I agree. Look at Academy, Cabella's, and Bass Pro among others. Just HOW ARE THEY TO DETERMAINE??????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

rtschl wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:21 pm This looks like they are copying the playbook with big tech and free speech. Since they can't control the 1st and 2nd Amendment via the government, it will be done by giant corporations.
The same people own both our government and the giant corporations... so it makes perfect sense for them to work it from both angles.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Mel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:37 pm How about using the credit card to buy a "gift card", and use the "gift card" to buy the gun?
Great Idea, but I assume if you buy a Carter's Country Gift Card it would show up on the radar, so just buy Amex, Mastercard, Visa, etc generic gift cards. That's what I'm going to do.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

I just posted a reply about this in a different topic because it had first been brought up there on September 9: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 7#p1325927. My comments were mainly about the International Organization for Standardization. ISO, by the way, is based in Geneva and representation is from 167 different countries. ISO 18245 may be heavily influenced by the U.S., but this wasn't a decision actually made in D.C. Although on this particular issue I imagine they got very little pushback from anywhere...except maybe Ukraine.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Great, now we can finally track career criminals and gang members as they use their visa to buy a gun from a local neighborhood trunk.

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

puma guy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:01 am
Great Idea, but I assume if you buy a Carter's Country Gift Card it would show up on the radar, so just buy Amex, Mastercard, Visa, etc generic gift cards. That's what I'm going to do.
I did some looking around for "generic" gift cards and it seems like they come with a fee; e.g., a $100 Visa gift card from Amazon cost $105.95. I may be missing something. Regardless, this seems like a good option.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

FrogFan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 am
I did some looking around for "generic" gift cards and it seems like they come with a fee; e.g., a $100 Visa gift card from Amazon cost $105.95. I may be missing something. Regardless, this seems like a good option.
I get my gift cards with points from Amex with no fees. I checked a MasterCard and Visa. Mastercard charges $2.95 for a $50 and $5.95 for $500. Didn't check any higher denominations. Couldn't find gift cards on VISA, though the offer prepaid cards, stating they are not credit cards. I didn't fill out the info to see what costs were involved. I guess it all depends on whether you want to hide the purchases from the new rule CC companies are going to abide by.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:11 am
FrogFan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 am
I get my gift cards with points from Amex with no fees. I checked a MasterCard and Visa. Mastercard charges $2.95 for a $50 and $5.95 for $500. Didn't check any higher denominations. Couldn't find gift cards on VISA, though the offer prepaid cards, stating they are not credit cards. I didn't fill out the info to see what costs were involved. I guess it all depends on whether you want to hide the purchases from the new rule CC companies are going to abide by.
I’ll just use cash going forward.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

parabelum wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:24 am Great, now we can finally track career criminals and gang members as they use their visa to buy a gun from a local neighborhood trunk.
Bingo

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Wish I knew more, but I use ApplePay on my phone which hides my credit card number from the vendor. Does the code show up in my monthly statement? I'm not sure what to look for. Cash is good... until that's eliminated which seems to be another "c" theory to follow. :shock:
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I'll use a Discover card.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”