Marines to eliminate scout sniper teams

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Marines to eliminate scout sniper teams

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2023/03/04/marine-co ... r-program/

Is the govt just stupid now?

Weren’t the Marines the first marine snipers?

srothstein

Re: Marines to eliminate scout sniper teams

Post by srothstein »

philip964 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:44 pmIs the govt just stupid now?
What do you mean "now"?
One of the first jobs some Marines were assigned was acting as sharpshooters from the rigging to defend the ship from boarders and to assist in boarding operations of enemy ships. The officers wear the quatrefoil on the top of their dress covers and this is generally attributed to being a way for those sharpshooters to identify their officers from above. This may not be accurate, according to the current USMC web page on historical significance of their emblems (I looked to find the proper name of the braid that I could not rememebr), but it was what I was taught by GySgt Taylor in History and Traditions classes at Quantico MCB.
Steve Rothstein

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It's ok. We still have Admiral Levine :banghead:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

srothstein wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:50 pm
philip964 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:44 pmIs the govt just stupid now?
What do you mean "now"?
One of the first jobs some Marines were assigned was acting as sharpshooters from the rigging to defend the ship from boarders and to assist in boarding operations of enemy ships. The officers wear the quatrefoil on the top of their dress covers and this is generally attributed to being a way for those sharpshooters to identify their officers from above. This may not be accurate, according to the current USMC web page on historical significance of their emblems (I looked to find the proper name of the braid that I could not rememebr), but it was what I was taught by GySgt Taylor in History and Traditions classes at Quantico MCB.
Your recollection is essentially correct. The quatrefoil is worn on Marine officers' barracks covers to this day, both service dress and blue dress.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”