New Forms

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 2

New Forms

Post by dlh »

Well, today I went to my local FFL and purchased a new shotgun. They put the usual form in front of me to fill out. Immediately I recognized it as a new form. I asked the employee when did you guys get these in? He said oh, they dropped them off a coupla months ago.
Anyway, going down the list and checking answers to the questions I was flabbergasted to get this question in so many words:

Are you purchasing this firearm with the intent to commit a felony?....uh....hmmmm. Of course I checked NO.

Incredible.

Anyway, thought you folks would be interested that new forms are out with the new questions.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

puma guy

Re: New Forms

Post by puma guy »

dlh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:50 pm Well, today I went to my local FFL and purchased a new shotgun. They put the usual form in front of me to fill out. Immediately I recognized it as a new form. I asked the employee when did you guys get these in? He said oh, they dropped them off a coupla months ago.
Anyway, going down the list and checking answers to the questions I was flabbergasted to get this question in so many words:

Are you purchasing this firearm with the intent to commit a felony?....uh....hmmmm. Of course I checked NO.

Incredible.

Anyway, thought you folks would be interested that new forms are out with the new questions.
What form did they give you? I just did a transfer and didn't see that question. The only change I know of is not having to answer the last two questions for aliens.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh »

puma guy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:34 pm
dlh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:50 pm Well, today I went to my local FFL and purchased a new shotgun. They put the usual form in front of me to fill out. Immediately I recognized it as a new form. I asked the employee when did you guys get these in? He said oh, they dropped them off a coupla months ago.

Incredible.

What form did they give you? I just did a transfer and didn't see that question. The only change I know of is not having to answer the last two questions for aliens.
I think it is the form described in this link:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4 ... -revisions
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Are they really that stupid? Or do they really think people planning on harming others are that stupid? And at this point do we really think they will do anything different than what they've been doing for decades and decide if and who they will prosecute if anyone based on the answers to the questions on this form? :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

C-dub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:31 pm Are they really that stupid? Or do they really think people planning on harming others are that stupid? And at this point do we really think they will do anything different than what they've been doing for decades and decide if and who they will prosecute if anyone based on the answers to the questions on this form? :roll:
Yes, yes and no.

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

It's the new 4473 that went into effect 1 Apr. We get asked about the 2 new questions several times a day in the store I work at.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

tk1700 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 pm It's the new 4473 that went into effect 1 Apr. We get asked about the 2 new questions several times a day in the store I work at.
April 1. How appropriate.......
:evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Incredible.

goes right in line with our ding bat in austin house that authored a bill to make it a ..."CRIME ...TO BUY A FIREARM AND COMMIT A CRIME" :biggrinjester: :rules:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

dlh wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:05 pm
puma guy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:34 pm

Incredible.

I think it is the form described in this link:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4 ... -revisions
I should have asked my question differently. I was trying to ascertain if it was something different than a Form 4473 that's been around since I was selling guns in 1968.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

goes right in line with our ding bat in austin house that authored a bill to make it a ..."CRIME ...TO BUY A FIREARM AND COMMIT A CRIME"

Speaking of stupid redundancy.......the federal government publishes a document known as the "MUTCD" which is the "Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices." It provides highly detailed specs that are used all over the USA. It details how big signs should be, their color, their placement, striping data, signal lights, school zones.....you get the picture.

This is why you can drive all over the USA and the TCD will have a consistent look, color, and placement.

But I swear (can't be 100% sure) that TexDOT has decided to add a useless sign to our state's mix, to wit:

"State Law - Observe All Warning Signs."

I have always thought that if the state posts a sign, you obviously have to obey it. Why does TexDOT feel that they have to state the obvious? SMH.

***********************************************************************************

How about another example of redundancy? I'm not sure if this is Texas practice, or some other state's charging practices, but here goes:

A person commits a crime with a gun, such as "aggravated assault", then catches an additional charge of "using a firearm while committing a felony".
It seems like a useless add-on charge.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:53 pmBut I swear (can't be 100% sure) that TexDOT has decided to add a useless sign to our state's mix, to wit:

"State Law - Observe All Warning Signs."

I have always thought that if the state posts a sign, you obviously have to obey it. Why does TexDOT feel that they have to state the obvious? SMH.
This one is not really a redundancy or waste of time. The trick is to know what it really means instead of what it says. Not all warning signs are posted by the government and this lets you know which you need to obey.

Texas has a law that allows road construction crews to post temporary signs, in black lettering on an orange background, to control traffic in a construction zone. You might have seen these as temporary speed limits or lane closures, etc. Since these are posted by a company and not a government, there is no law backing them up and you don't really have to obey them. To give them some force, the legislature decided to add that if there is a proper warning posted, then they must be obeyed. The orange obey all warning signs is the sign the company must post to make their temporary signs enforceable by the police.

Another example of this is that 99% of the traffic laws do not apply while on private property. You can generally ignore the stop signs and lane direction markers in parking lots for example. Some cities use their authority to enact an ordinance that adopts these laws and makes them applicable in parking lots. To do this, they need to post a sign that state laws apply due to the ordinance (I don't remember the exact wording of the law, but if you shop at the Forum at 1604 and IH-35 in San Antonio, you will see the signs for the portion that is in either Selma or Schertz - I never paid attention to which city it was). So we have signs saying to obey state laws too.
Steve Rothstein

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, you have enlightened me regarding these signs.

Although I'm generally up on signage policies, I did not realize that the construction companies are the ones that post the orange warning signs.

So I'm sure that the majority of drivers do not realize the difference either.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”