Delaware Permit to Purchase Handgun Bill to become Law

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Delaware Permit to Purchase Handgun Bill to become Law

Post by puma guy »

Anyone looking to buy a handgun in Delaware could soon face a multi-step process.

On Thursday, the Delaware Senate passed a bill outlining permit-to-purchase regulations for residents who want to buy handguns. Gov. John Carney has said he will sign the bill into law as soon as it gets to his desk.
I can only imagine it will be no time before it gets challenged and ruled on.

https://6abc.com/delaware-gun-bill-perm ... 14529228/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RoyGBiv

Re: Delaware Permit to Purchase Handgun Bill to become Law

Post by RoyGBiv »

We had a permit to purchase requirement when I lived in NC, 20+ years ago... It was annoying but simple. Apply to your local Sheriff, wait 5 days, pick up permit (up to 5 individual permits at a time). When you purchased a handgun, you give one permit to the seller for each gun.

On the plus side, when I sold a gun and the buyer handed me a permit, I didn't have to guess whether they were a prohibited person.

In Delawares case, I'm certain that every application will be approved expeditiously, and based solely on merit. /sarcasm

In both cases, the process certainly INFRINGES! :mad5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Challenge would most likely fail. Look at NJ and IL (FOID) been around a long time.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

oohrah wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:59 am Challenge would most likely fail. Look at NJ and IL (FOID) been around a long time.
It's great to see restrictive laws getting challenged, although I lose track of which laws, where, and when.
Have the NJ and IL purchase permits had post-Bruen decision challenges?

The problems that might be avoided with all of the permits could more easily be solved with identifying the firearm prohibition on a person's driver license. The irony (hypocrisy) is that the same people pushing the permitting schemes scream about civil rights violations when you talk about putting a convicted felon designation on a driver license.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”